• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the broader world has forgotten this issue. First media reports about a month ago, a flurry of activity about 10 days ago leading up to round 1 - now, SILENCE. Nothing to see here folks, move along please.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the broader world has forgotten this issue. First media reports about a month ago, a flurry of activity about 10 days ago leading up to round 1 - now, SILENCE. Nothing to see here folks, move along please.
I think the letter from the Grammar headmaster was published in the SMH today?
It's there on the digital site anyway. Geez, these journalists don't even have write anything these days.... Just cut and paste. I want their job.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The first time that I can recall Dr Vallance making public comment. He makes more sense that a lot of journos.

That is now Grammar and Joeys who have committed in writing to not playing Scots in basketball in Terms 4 and 1, Riverview aren't playing them today, Kings didn't play last week.

Interesting that Dr Vallance has brought other sports into the equation, which confirms what was reported in the SMH after the last GPS Heads meeting.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
IS, I think you have previously surmised the problem as one of a narrowing base, whereby you are increasingly relying on your stars at 16 being your stars in their mid-20s.
It's a problem for all sports who put kids in elite programmes at 15, where they only play or train for one sport year round. A bigger problem for rugby as we have such a narrow base of the pyramid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The path to world domination is simple, according to the Owen Thomson in the SMH.

Nothing about scholarships or buying/importing a team, "It all comes down to quality coaching, writes Owen Thomson."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/non-government-schools/secrets-to-sporting-success-20131023-2w1hz.html#ixzz2isBMspuu

Knox Sporting Academy gets a guernsey in the article.

Waiting for Dicky Knee to find something biased and untoward in yet another article demonstrating the poor quality reporting form the Herald. No mention of AAGPS or Scots. Clear bias towards CAS and girls sports.

moneyball

Bob McCowan (2)
Sounds like there is a bit more than just employing a quality coach involved at Meridan.

''I think we're probably the top school, certainly the top independent girls' school, in NSW, with many national champions to our credit. And we're also very good at water polo. Consequently, girls are coming to the school to get this very good coaching.''
When it comes to achieving sporting success, quality infrastructure and athlete development programs also play a huge part. At Meriden, the Olympus Program caters for 42 of the school's elite athletes, who compete at state, national or international level in sports that also include athletics and swimming. The program gives advice about things like nutrition, injury management, time management and stress management."

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Is it just my papers this morning, or are others finding there is a distinct lack of results for various school sport today. Though in the case of the Sun Herald there are no sports results in general.
If the results of the sports aren't being distributed and made known, it is a moot point of the effect of bringing in all the talented kids to win stuff. That philosophical chestnut; If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? If a school buys great sporting sides, but no one knows of any result of their success is itworthwhile?
Then again, the lack of the traditional sports details could be just another symptom of the decline in the traditional newspaper.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I s'pose its all relative:
Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 12.42.28 pm.png

There seem to be a lot more elite athletes in schools today than there used to be and yet all elite athletes in the past also went to school.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
So who has been playing 'the Scottish school' in basketball? (Fearful for mentioning them by name in case it brings bad luck!)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So who has been playing 'the Scottish school' in basketball? (Fearful for mentioning them by name in case it brings bad luck!)
High played them in the first round, Kings and Riverview played all fixtures but 1sts & 2nds. Don't know if they've been playing internal trials or whatever. All of their players would have club basketball on Sundays.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The path to world domination is simple, according to the Owen Thomson in the SMH.

Nothing about scholarships or buying/importing a team, "It all comes down to quality coaching, writes Owen Thomson."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/non-government-schools/secrets-to-sporting-success-20131023-2w1hz.html#ixzz2isBMspuu

Knox Sporting Academy gets a guernsey in the article.

Waiting for Dicky Knee to find something biased and untoward in yet another article demonstrating the poor quality reporting form the Herald. No mention of AAGPS or Scots. Clear bias towards CAS and girls sports.
Basing a decision on which schools employ the "best" coaches seems an odd way to choose a school for your son/daughter, or is it just me?

If you wanted your daughter to be a good tennis player, wouldn't you just hire a professional coach? Surely it would be cheaper than $25-30,000 on school fees?

I'm also a little sceptical about how good some of these coaches actually are. You are presented with handpicked/recruited/scholarshiped talent, which means you have many of the best available players at your disposal - are you really a great coach if they win? Or are you just a good recruiter?

Isn't the person who coaches the players that enrol normally at the school and takes them to their optimum level or performance the best coach? Some years this will involve winning and other years not.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
High played them in the first round, Kings and Riverview played all fixtures but 1sts & 2nds. Don't know if they've been playing internal trials or whatever. All of their players would have club basketball on Sundays.

No game at all for 1sts or 2nds on Saturday, last week they played and indigenous development team. I believe as a pre-cursor to the annual indigenous fund raiser last Saturday night........

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)

I believed Knox played Waverley and won by about 80 points or something. With a result like that perhaps that other "Scottish school", bussed their players up the Pacific highway to play at Wahroonga at the other "other" Scottish school……..

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
I was listening Alan Jones' interview and agreed with the reasoning that if academic scholarships bolster the schools academic rankings, why isn't that compared to sporting scholarships improving the schools sport ranks around the GPS? It seems to be not so much of a problem?

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Its absolutely not a problem, if all the AAGPS schools come together and decide to revoke the code of conduct agreed on. Maybe they could decide to agree on a maximum number of sporting scholarships given in Year 7 and then again for Year 10, & publicise this in the advertising.
But it would seem that not all of them want to go down this path!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not only do some of them not want to go down this path judging by their conduct none do.
They have agreed to a protocol which prevents it and they largely deny having done it and, to the extent it has been admitted it is, either, something done in 2003 or not systematic.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And the Headmasters of Shore, Grammar and Joeys have come out specifically against sporting scholarships/bursaries and reaffirmed their support for the code as it currently exists and more generally their support of the educative value of sport, rather than the "glory" of winning. (If indeed there is any glory attached to beating ordinary kids with a team of hand picked and recruited all-stars).