• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Crock of shit.
They actively recruit outstanding athletes, which is totally different to advertising, and selecting from the pool of applicants, after assessing their personal qualities.

Actually, the process of selection even of outstanding Athletes does involve a merit base process. You may deny it, refuted or call it a crock of shit. But arguing with you would be a waste of time, as clearly you have made up your mind about Newington in a negative and somewhat vindictive manner.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Mercenaries? Boys selected on overall merit are hardly Mercenaries, if a school such as Newington has a socially progressive policy, this reflects its policy of inclusion. I refer you to my post 6632.

that's a mighty big if - its actually a socially regressive policy, if (another big if) you think about it

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
that's a mighty big if - its actually a socially regressive policy, if (another big if) you think about it

No ifs what so ever,IS, its matter of social inclusion and diversity. Of allowing boys who would not otherwise attend Newington to be given opportunities they would not otherwise discover.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I hear that a very good rower and a very good rugby 2nd row/backrow are leaving St Augs to commence in Year 11 at Shore next year.
This is an appalling development. Don't the brains trust at Shore realise St Augustine's is part of Scots' recruiting grounds? I mean, the northern beaches are cheek-by-jowl to the hallowed fields at Bellevue Hill.......

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^its not a new development, they've been recruiting from there for some time.
They plucked 3 or 4 from one age group out of there, a few years ago.

Their idea of holistic at that time, meant that the kids could represent them in more than one sport.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
No ifs what so ever,IS, its matter of social inclusion and diversity. Of allowing boys who would not otherwise attend Newington to be given opportunities they would not otherwise discover.
Your virtual signalling reminds me of the Leo DiCaprio’s of the world that are angry over global warming but still fly their private jets everywhere.
A friend of mine is on your school council and he makes no apologies for the targetting of gifted athletes to win sports.
NB some of your recruits were previously at good Christian schools.
NB 2 let us know if any of your league boys of 2013 turn up for their 5 year reunion.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Your virtual signalling reminds me of the Leo DiCaprio’s of the world that are angry over global warming but still fly their private jets everywhere.
A friend of mine is on your school council and he makes no apologies for the targetting of gifted athletes to win sports.
NB some of your recruits were previously at good Christian schools.
NB 2 let us know if any of your league boys of 2013 turn up for their 5 year reunion.

High achieving athletes are consistently high achievers in other areas. I stressed this point in post 6632 which critics such as yourself have failed to understand. It is borne out by university studies going back to the1980s.So Newington offers not just a spotrs environment for these boys but a holistic one as well. Where the whole individual can be developed. Nevertheless,I congratulate you on your excellence choice of friends and like him I obiviously share his belief in recruiting boys of merit into the college. So no apologies from me or the Newington community. Ask your friend for a copy of Newington News, where the college sets out the aims of the Endowment Fund are laid out. However, if one is not available I shall now present for you parts of the written passage:- "The Endowment Fund is establishing a legacy to ensure that Newington will continue to change the lives of thousands of boys. These boys will benefit from access to a Newington education and the school will benefit from their addition to our community before they go to contribute to society.Newington prides itself on educating boys of promise into men of substance." Old Boys are lining up to make contributions to this Endowment Fund and I have certainly intend to make a contribution in my will. It is expected that at least 100 fully funded means tested scholarships will be available in the near future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Diversity is not about having 2-3 good props, 2 hookers, 4-5 second rowers/8s, etc etc who played for different rugby league clubs or rep sides at the U15/16 State Champs. The concentration of rugby talent in 5 or 6 schools each in NSW and QLD is not good for the game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Newington offers not just a spots environment for these boys but a holistic one as well.

Of those whose circumstance I am aware of this is just not so. Of the ones I know (something like 10) they pretty much all finished up pursuing post school non-sporting endeavours precisely as they would have done had they stayed where they were.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Diversity is not about having 2-3 good props, 2 hookers, 4-5 second rowers/8s, etc etc who played for different rugby league clubs or rep sides at the U15/16 State Champs. The concentration of rugby talent in 5 or 6 schools each in NSW and QLD is not good for the game.

I was referring to the whole school community and its diversity regarding its Multi-Cultural Attributes.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Of those whose circumstance I am aware of this is just not so. Of the ones I know (something like 10) they pretty much all finished up pursuing post school non-sporting endeavours precisely as they would have done had they stayed where they were.

If Newington can change just, one boy's life for the better, then its worth the investment. Its not about numbers or will they be a rocket scientist, but have they become a better person as a whole, for having attended Newington.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If Newington can change just, one boy's life for the better, then its worth the investment. Its not about numbers or will they be a rocket scientist, but have they become a better person as a whole, for having attended Newington.
That is a special type of hubris.

What's the magic in the water at Stanmore?
Certainly the first lesson that recruited kids learn, is that rules don't matter.
You can make agreements with others with absolutely no intention of keeping your word.

If the intention was really to make positive impacts on kids lives, you wouldn't be poaching 15/16 yo's from private Schools an hour and a half away.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
That is a special type of hubris.

What's the magic in the water at Stanmore?
Certainly the first lesson that recruited kids learn, is that rules don't matter.
You can make agreements with others with absolutely no intention of keeping your word.

If the intention was really to make positive impacts on kids lives, you wouldn't be poaching 15/16 yo's from private Schools an hour and a half away.

Your comments against Newington reflect a series of disappointing attitudes . A more positive outlook would be to acknowledge Newinton's success which are many. But also an acknowledgement, that you fundamentally disagree, with its merit base recruitment scholarships, whatever they maybe.Your approach is not only cynical, but lacks a factual basis that is detached from reality. By doing so and the venting your spleen, all you have proven,is that you are more interested in the cesspool that is private school politics.. Oh by the way which boys from which school were poached that is only half an hour away. I want the names of their former schools, as well as their Rugby positions they play, together with the type of scholarship awarded to them. And of course the names of the boys, so an enrolment check can be made to substantiate your claims. This can done privately by giving a message to Black& White. This is a common sense approach whereby your misconceptions about Newington can be corrected. However, I am concerned that you are simply an anti-Newington propagandist, who just wishes to dump on the College without any concern to the truth..

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
There was a time kids from racing families were considered by some not the right sort to have in the playground of a GPS school. During the sixties and seventies lots of bookies sons went to Newington, having been rejected elsewhere. I was one . Newington has long had an inclusive view of boys. The Methodists are good value like that. These days kids from elite sporting backgrounds, whose families are not cashed up, are considered by some not the right sort to have in the playground. Ah well, whatever. Our GPS family is not a happy, functional lot. Good on you Black & White for stating your case . Despite any shortcomings, New are genuine in their efforts to be inclusive.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
There was a time kids from racing families were considered by some not the right sort to have in the playground of a GPS school. During the sixties and seventies lots of bookies sons went to Newington, having been rejected elsewhere. I was one . Newington has long had an inclusive view of boys. The Methodists are good value like that. These days kids from elite sporting backgrounds, whose families are not cashed up, are considered by some not the right sort to have in the playground. Ah well, whatever. Our GPS family is not a happy, functional lot. Good on you Black & White for stating your case . Despite any shortcomings, New are genuine in their efforts to be inclusive.

Thanks GPS Observer, I feel as you do that certain individuals wish to maintain the GPS School system as a bastion of social elitism, whereby attendance at these schools is preserve of a few wealthy and privileged individuals. This attitude is repugnant to the Methodist values at Newington that you have stated. Rather, this disappointing attitude reflects an outlook of social bigotry that is unAustralian. And as we have seen on numerous posts, they will disparage Newington without care to the facts. My father had two jobs and my mother worked as well, to send we three children to Newington and MLC.. 80% of the boys at Newington have parents who both work. A fact that makes both parents and teachers immensely proud.As such I am forever in debt to my parents for there efforts they made. If the Newington scholarship system proves to be a success, enhancing the quality of the school, I suspect other schools will seek to emulate it opening the flood doors to the great unwashed of Society. Not only will GPS Rugby teams improve in talent, but more frightening, these boys of talent will take the places of sons of Old Boys, who believe their boys have a birth right to play in the first XV. In which case this explains the hostility to scholarships at Newington, however, not all schools feel this way so I expect changes will occur in other schools as the social bigots are isolated. I am also sure that some bloggers on this site will continue to bury their heads in the sand and deny reality about how the boys themselves will benefit. So expect more self-righteous crap that these boys are nothing more than rugby meat to win glory for the school. How a boy benefits from an education at Newington, cannot be measured in terms of his job or his HSC results. It lies within the boy himself and the man he becomes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Your comments against Newington reflect a series of disappointing attitudes . A more positive outlook would be to acknowledge Newinton's success which are many. But also an acknowledgement, that you fundamentally disagree, with its merit base recruitment scholarships, whatever they maybe.Your approach is not only cynical, but lacks a factual basis that is detached from reality. By doing so and the venting your spleen, all you have proven,is that you are more interested in the cesspool that is private school politics.. Oh by the way which boys from which school were poached that is only half an hour away. I want the names of their former schools, as well as their Rugby positions they play, together with the type of scholarship awarded to them. And of course the names of the boys, so an enrolment check can be made to substantiate your claims. This can done privately by giving a message to Black& White. This is a common sense approach whereby your misconceptions about Newington can be corrected. However, I am concerned that you are simply an anti-Newington propagandist, who just wishes to dump on the College without any concern to the truth..
Seriously, the tone of your reply, is hilarious.
I am not a naughty schoolboy that is fibbing to stay out of trouble.
And I won't be doing any of the homework you have assigned me.

If, as you say, you have access to the books. Look up every state rep in the past 5 years.
Pay particular attention to those not starting in year 7.

I'm not anti New, I'm anti posters coming on here denying the undeniable, I've also pulled up some Scots apologists, when they also have tried to deny as fact, exactly what the School eventually confessed .

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Seriously, the tone of your reply, is hilarious.
I am not a naughty schoolboy that is fibbing to stay out of trouble.
And I won't be doing any of the homework you have assigned me.

If, as you say, you have access to the books. Look up every state rep in the past 5 years.
Pay particular attention to those not starting in year 7.

I'm not anti New, I'm anti posters coming on here denying the undeniable, I've also pulled up some Scots apologists, when they also have tried to deny as fact, exactly what the School eventually confessed .
Your reply in its present state, is an incoherent raving, that lacks substance and relevance. May I suggest a rewrite that is less emotional and more focused. Clearly, you have been caught out and feel somewhat embarrassed by your statements that are misleading. If you want denigrate Newington please have your facts correct.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

So we have 82% who want an excellent sporting program and you'd be content with 10% of the recruited ascribing a positive influence to the school.
As I say, of the 10 I know I can see no different outcome, and some worse - in the sense that they were forgiven their sins by the school and betrayed a very strong sense of entitlement in their attitude.
Be all that as it may - there is a weird sense of social justice in your rants: this is a rugby site so I'm not debating academic or vocational outcomes. In your world it is better that one male child should get to play in the NC 1st XV than that the public high schools should still be playing the game or that the district clubs be able to field under age teams between 13 and 18.
I grew up in Mosman in the 60s and 70s. They were able to field teams full of public school boys from 13-18: that does not happen any more.
A reason why it does not happen is the obsession in the older private schools with the marketing potential of rugby premierships - that was actually the reason that NC started recruiting in the mid noughties: they had vacancies and were hit hard by the GFC and they saw that they could attract fee payers by bolstering their lack lustre rugby program with recruits: all of whom are back playing league.
The proof of the truth of that proposition lies in your 82% - so don't play the social inclusiveness card, recognise it for what it is. And I say that having booked my sons into Newington when they were born.