• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Read it and weep
Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 6.52.20 PM.png

http://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/stanmore-7-12/beyond-the-classroom/sport/interschool/rugby/

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

There's no doubt there's been significant 'planning' by staff. What the paragraph doesn't say is what that planning has involved. It is also true that the boys have put in hard work - trouble is they're not the same boys who played 13As & Bs who by hard work then established themselves as a 1st XV, which is what I suspect is what the paragraph is asserting.

I suspect that one could write a dissertation on the philosophical question "What is the truth?" based almost entirely on the paragraph quoted.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There's no doubt there's been significant 'planning' by staff. What the paragraph doesn't say is what that planning has involved. It is also true that the boys have put in hard work - trouble is they're not the same boys who played 13As & Bs who by hard work then established themselves as a 1st XV, which is what I suspect is what the paragraph is asserting.

I suspect that one could write a dissertation on the philosophical question "What is the truth?" based almost entirely on the paragraph quoted.

This actually made me angry.
I was looking for the match schedule for this week and stumbled across it.
It struck me, as it never really has before, the extent to which this is being used to lure people into the school: the boys who will be displaced by imports when the time comes.
Maybe the ACCC would be interested.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Evidently TSC are a little worried about their U15 stocks: a little birdy tells me that a zone player has been approached on the off chance that he might like to shift from his high school.
I am happy for this kid to catch a break - he deserves it.
Thats not really the point, though: I'm sure there's many kids I don't know who are just as deserving

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
TSC 16A's has approximately 65% plus of the team on scholarship.. sorry I stand corrected as there are no scholarships at TSC, they call them bursaries full and part.

I have seen both 16A's matches for TSC and Joey's this year and TSC are just a standout team head and shoulders above all competition, bigger, stronger, faster and skilled. They have it all from the forward pack right through to the backline... the best that bursaries can buy.

If you get a chance, worth getting there early to watch this team.

Joeys 16As beat Scots 15-10 or 3 tries to 1. Bread and dripping and boot camp for the bursary holders.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Joeys 16As beat Scots 15-10 or 3 tries to 1. Bread and dripping and boot camp for the bursary holders.
Academic scholarships/bursaries tend to be conditional on results - does anyone with inside knowledge know if sporting bursaries are conditional - I know of a swimmer at one of the usual suspects that had it withdrawn.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Academic scholarships/bursaries tend to be conditional on results - does anyone with inside knowledge know if sporting bursaries are conditional - I know of a swimmer at one of the usual suspects that had it withdrawn.
I have heard rumours of withdrawal and of one being halved for disciplinary reasons.
when I asked a teacher at the school he/she said he/she could not confirm the position but that the person's behaviour had improved.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
"Boys of all ages and skill levels are invited to play and numbers are not limited. Under the guidance of a full-time coaching director, boys are required to train two afternoons a week and have access to excellent facilities including three rugby fields, a weights room for strength and conditioning training and the 25-metre indoor pool for recovery sessions."
Want to be careful with these claims - the first part gives the impression of an open invitation whereas it could be interpreted as being at the invitation of the rugby director - I know of parents who have threatened legal action because a school did not deliver on its literature.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Br Henry said: TSC played SJC in 20 games today.

TSC won 3 (1st XV, 13A and 14G's)
SJC won 17

Looks like the year 7 recruitment was well targeted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And since you bring it up in this forum. A great bit of recruiting by Joeys 14a's to get their new 'first five' after being 'towelled' as a 13's age group. At least the school is resisting having boys hang back to fill the first XV with 19 year olds as they did in Br Henry's day...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And since you bring it up in this forum. A great bit of recruiting by Joeys 14a's to get their new 'first five' after being 'towelled' as a 13's age group. At least the school is resisting having boys hang back to fill the first XV with 19 year olds as they did in Br Henry's day.
They stopped that about when Jim McInerney was inellgible for NSW Schools for that reason

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bursaries are means-tested. They are available to boys entering Years 7 to 11 and provide remission of Tuition and/or Boarding Fees. They differ from Academic Scholarships and are awarded upon consideration of broader criteria.
These Bursaries are based on a combination of financial need, leadership qualities, academic performance, interview and co-curricular abilities.
http://www.tsc.nsw.edu.au/view/admissions/scholarships-and-busaries

One measure of achieving excellence in sport at The Scots College is for us to become the most consistently high-performing school in AAGPS and to be recognized throughout Australia for our dominance in sport.
https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/our-vision/

A bit more subtle, but you get the point.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
One measure of achieving excellence in sport at The Scots College is for us to become the most consistently high-performing school in AAGPS and to be recognized throughout Australia for our dominance in sport.
https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/our-vision/

A bit more subtle, but you get the point.

More subtle? More subtle?
When is this consistent high performance due to begin?
Since when has "dominance in sport" been a legitimate educational aim?
I had been under the impression that sport was thought to enhance learning and was not an end in itself. How does dominance aid education?
I think this is quite the worst piece of "educational" PR I have ever seen: it is contrary to everything children's sport is about.
words fail me

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
More subtle? More subtle?
When is this consistent high performance due to begin?
Since when has "dominance in sport" been a legitimate educational aim?
I had been under the impression that sport was thought to enhance learning and was not an end in itself. How does dominance aid education?
I think this is quite the worst piece of "educational" PR I have ever seen: it is contrary to everything children's sport is about.
words fail me
Perhaps I was being too kind.

I fully agree with your statements.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This post of "TheKing" was posted in the Qld GPS thread but should have been posted here according to forum rules. I have copied and pasted it here for him - LG

Just had a conversation with a GT source who has a source who has a source coaching at Churchie, and the message regarded X.

I'm sure many of you have seen the film 'The blind side' - Sandra bullock adopts this big, impoverished teenager and convinces him to try football, in which he excelled. When it came time to choose a college to play for, NCAA officials were concerned that his choice of college would be influenced and compromised by so called "Boosters" sweetening the deals offered with illegal, off the book contracts and scholarships.

The source tells me that X was allowed to compete for Churchie on the weekend and in future because his school fee's have been paid in full, meaning that the rules regarding his 'scholarship' are null and void.

The question is how have his parents raised the money, and why decide to put him into Churchie weeks before the QCS. He hasn't completed enough subject units at Churchie to benefit from their QCS mean, so why join?

My source told me that a former wallaby - read Booster - has generously contributed, and by contributed I mean paid in full X's school fee's.

This sets a very, very dangerous precedent.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would like the views of people who write in this thread as whether or not it is proper to mention a schoolboy's name when talking about scholarships.

In the post above I have deleted the boy's name, even if people can work out who he is - in which case maybe I should have deleted the name of the school also.

What do people think?

And also in the case where the source of a source is mentioned, should the whole thing be struck out?

You could see the problem if people did this all the time.

I have no doubts that TheKing is telling us what he heard somebody else say, as he seems like a straight shooter from reading the other stuff he has written.

Feedback please.

Thanks.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
This post of "TheKing" was posted in the Qld GPS thread but should have been posted here according to forum rules. I have copied and pasted it here for him - LG

Just had a conversation with a GT source who has a source who has a source coaching at Churchie, and the message regarded X.

etc etc etc

This sets a very, very dangerous precedent.

IF this is the case, it is an absolute flagrant disregard for the rules, the headmasters handshake agreement, and all other principles of sportsmanship. For crying out loud this is schoolboy rugby - this "win at all cost " mercenary corner cutting approach is destroying the fabric of what was once a proud competition.

IF this is true, and the innuendo warrants the headmasters to collectively grow a pair and investigate this, then Churchie should play the balance of the season for no competition points - at least then that may give the boy some time to do some study and benefit from the gracious gesture from his benefactor- that's if he is attending class ( note IF this is true ).

And by the way - all the posts about Bowen being the savior for BBC at No.10 - Bowen not playing this week - in fact he never has played ! The 10 for BBC is BOWYER, not Bowen.. and Josh Bowyer may very well do the job in 2013 ! ( Sorry - Refer back to Qld GPS 2013 thread to which this is relevant )

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
I have heard rumours of withdrawal and of one being halved for disciplinary reasons.
when I asked a teacher at the school he/she said he/she could not confirm the position but that the person's behaviour had improved.

BBC in Brisbane earlier in the year removed their star player from the school for disciplinary reasons - obviously a tough call because the kid oozes talent and potential, but , it the midst of all of this scholarship nonsense and mercenary abandonment of any principles whatsoever, it is good to see that someone in the school drew a line in the sand.

The headmasters in QLD, and NSW it appears, need to collectively grow a pair and cut this BS out once and for all. The flagrant bending of the rules is a disgrace - that is if there are any rules !! Melbourne Storm and Canterbury Bulldogs broke the rules in the NRL, and look what happened to them. What makes the GPS headmasters and sportmasters think that they, and their schools , are beyond reproach and answerable to no-one? The competition is a joke, and the schools are getting nothing more than a reputation of being a bunch of cheats who seem too afraid to invest properly in time and coaching and nurturing from the grass roots.

Either that, or acknowledge the once proud GPS competition for what it has unfortunately become, and introduce a salary cap - at least that way there will be some transparency. ( this may also benefit many of the boys who will be able to better understand how a salary cap works for when they piss their school and rugby off and head off to the NRL !!)

At the end of the day, I cant for the life of me see what the schools get out of this investment - the premiership is a lottery, and if they do win it, they do it with a bunch of "fly-by-nighters" to whom the school, and its traditions, mean very little.

An enormous investment by the schools in a bunch of kids who, generally, appear to be minimally invested the other way.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would like the views of people who write in this thread as whether or not it is proper to mention a schoolboy's name when talking about scholarships.

In the post above I have deleted the boy's name, even if people can work out who he is - in which case maybe I should have deleted the name of the school also.

What do people think?

And also in the case where the source of a source is mentioned, should the whole thing be struck out?

I have no doubts that TheKing is telling us what he heard somebody else say, as he seems like a straight shooter from reading the other stuff he has written.

Feedback please.

Thanks.

I know I haven't been around on this thread very long, but IMO the naming of schoolboys in articles that are strictly "scholarship related" (this is where it could tricky) should be avoided. As you said people will probably be able to work it out anyway.

Also, in no way have the students themselves committed a wrongdoing and for this reason alone we should avoid naming them in discussions that can be construed as negative.

As for the schools.......name and shame I say.

A couple of schools in QLD are more responsible than others for the whole explosion in sporting scholarships/arms race issue in GPS (not just in rugby), and they are slowly but surely dragging the rest of the GPS schools into the battlefield.

Personally I'm not against scholarships I just think there needs to be some limits and moderation that all schools follow.

I digress...

Either way.......I respect any decisions the moderators make and will try hard to abide by them. They do a great job with this website, its been a daily favorite of mine for several years now. Appreciated.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And since you bring it up in this forum. A great bit of recruiting by Joeys 14As to get their new 'first five' after being 'towelled' as a 13s age group. At least the school is resisting having boys hang back to fill the first XV with 19 year olds as they did in Br Henry's day.

19! Come off it, Pg, Joeys 1s in those days were well known as wonderful family men: they took great delight in seeing their wives and children watch them play. :rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

What do people think?

Feedback please.

Thanks.
I always avoid mentioning the names of boys unless it is in a positive light. They're just kids, despite certain schools and coaches using them as professional athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.