• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semifinal 1: Reds V Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Just had a quick look for you Bullrush, since 2005 the only time the minor premier has not continued on to win the competition was in 2007 when the Bulls(2nd) toppled the Sharkrs(1st) in the Grand Final.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just had a quick look for you Bullrush, since 2005 the only time the minor premier has continued on to win the competition was in 2007 when the Bulls(2nd) toppled the Sharkrs(1st) in the Grand Final.

TOCC, confused here, sorry. Is the word 'not' missing above between 'has' and 'continued'? Only ask as you then quote the fact that the Sharks - which in brackets you indicated were the minor prems that year 2007 - were in fact dethroned by the then No 2 in rank, Bulls.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just had a quick look for you Bullrush, since 2005 the only time the minor premier has not continued on to win the competition was in 2007 when the Bulls(2nd) toppled the Sharkrs(1st) in the Grand Final.

Goes to show then just how important (based upon history, at least) winning that Minor Premiership actually is!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Goes to show then just how important (based upon history, at least) winning that Minor Premiership actually is!

1. Putting capitals on it doesn't make it a real title.

2. Too bad the Blues won't be the first team not to have been top qualifier and still win the competition.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't expect anyone outside 1 & 2 to ever win this competition in it's current format. Needs to be a week gap between the semis and the final.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't expect anyone outside 1 & 2 to ever win this competition in it's current format. Needs to be a week gap between the semis and the final.

There needs to be a big advantage in winning the overal regula season comp. I agree that odds are stacked in favor of teams that finish 1 and 2, and Reds deserve that advantage. I'm actually in favor of the comp as it stands.

G

GC

The Blues could easily get up here. Players back from injury. Strong forward pack. Good backs. Little travel and good playing conditions. It wouldn't be an upset. Reds are only just favourites. No point thinking about any grand final.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Why? Should final position on the table give you some advantage or disadvantage?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Perhaps the competition could have two trophies? The winner who comes out top at the end of the season. And then a winner from the top 6 sides who play in a semi-final type affair.....

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Still 8,000 tickets left unsold. Has the QRU underdone the marketing or are people thinking that potentially 3 big matches at Suncorp in a week is one too many.

I hope those other 8,000 tickets go before kick-off. 2 more sleeps until "Beat the Blues festival 2011" launches - 2 headline Qld acts performing Saturday & Wednesday nights...

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still 8,000 tickets left unsold. Has the QRU underdone the marketing or are people thinking that potentially 3 big matches at Suncorp in a week is one too many.

I hope those other 8,000 tickets go before kick-off. 2 more sleeps until "Beat the Blues festival 2011" launches - 2 headline Qld acts performing Saturday & Wednesday nights...

The news a couple of days ago said over 50,000 sold then I saw your number in yesterday's paper.

Also not impressed when as a member, last week the best seats available were gold, last night I could get 2 platinum seats. WTF? End whinge.

Go REDS

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think a few people are taking the risk of staying home to watch the Semi in the hope that they make the final. I really hope that it is a sell out but I made the mistake of throwing my wife a birthday party this Saturday night (wasn't thinking about the rugby at the time)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think a few people are taking the risk of staying home to watch the Semi in the hope that they make the final. I really hope that it is a sell out but I made the mistake of throwing my wife a birthday party this Saturday night (wasn't thinking about the rugby at the time)

As I've noted before, there's only so much disposable $ income large groups of fans (most of whom are not the rugby mad passionates) can and will spend on going to games, many fans saw the Blues at Suncorp v Reds not long ago, I think many are positive that the Reds will make it to July 9, and would preference spending on that. Plus, as I've also said before, watching the game on a large HD plasma in HD is an infinitely more immersive and attractive option at home than was the case only say 5 years back when these technologies were much less penetrated, or not even there at all.

Having said all that, I think we'll see a c.46/7,000-ish crowd, that's still impressive.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Reds to play Blues, no surprises:

Jono Lance, Rod Davies, Anthony Fainga'a, Ben Tapuai, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Radike Samo, Beau Robinson, Scott Higginbotham, James Horwill (capt), Rob Simmons, Greg Holmes, Saia Fainga'a, Ben Daley. Res: James Hanson, Guy Shepherdson, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jake Schatz, Liam Gill, Ian Prior, Will Chambers.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Reds have had such a good run with injuries - that's a pretty good side!

I've really liked Jono Lance. I would still prefer Lucas but he's been pretty good in defense and attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.