• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Senate enquiry into Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon the Rugby Australia Board members do a bit of self-assessment and watch this on a daily basis and assess their own involvement in the matters uncovered by the Senate Inquiry. Stay on if if their personal actions and involvement were always in the spirit of Gus Pichot's closing speech.

I suggest that the Board would be looking for some new members.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting that the Labour members of the commitee are so much more positive about the ARU.

"Labor Senators' Additional Comments"

What's the connection there?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
In regards to the evidence, there are a few rookie mistake many make when trying to be clever especially when they don' t respect the forum.

First up, reinterpreting questions is dumb and a give the impression you are avoiding answering. The second, don't copy your mates or let your mate copy your answers.

It makes it appears you have been colluding especially when that said mate appears to have remarkably reinterpreted the question the same way you did and answer the same way you did.

Have a look at the 2x Questions on notice answers by North and Clarke about the meeting date "around" the 6th.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think there's a lot of reading between the lines going on here, particularly considering the majority of the information came from what can be called 'fan submissions'.

One community organisation scrapping to survive (RugbyWA) are apparently saints for doing it and another (VRU) are apparently evil geniuses, who are able to influence Sydney rugby. How I long for the days when both minor unions stood side by side in unison and complained about how nobody in Sydney or Brisbane rugby did shit for them.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we need to stop looking for wrongdoing when there was only at worst incompetence and bad decision making.

The fact is - why the fuck would some Sydney rugby types who've never met most of the VRU board (and never been to a local game of Vic footy) side with them unfairly VS RugbyWA? They stood nothing to gain from it.

And if they did stand something to gain from it, what was it? The most plausible story I've heard is it was a 'jobs for mates' situation, but if so who're the mates? Where's the tangible connection of a mate helping a mate out unfairly? And if so, how was this singular mate influential enough to get the job done? Is Cameron Clyne drinking buddies with Tim North?

If it's not 'jobs for mates', then there has to be money illegally (or underhandedly) being exchanged. If so, can someone point to me where that happened?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we need to stop looking for wrongdoing when there was only at worst incompetence and bad decision making.

The fact is - why the fuck would some Sydney rugby types who've never met most of the VRU board (and never been to a local game of Vic footy) side with them unfairly VS RugbyWA? They stood nothing to gain from it.

And if they did stand something to gain from it, what was it? The most plausible story I've heard is it was a 'jobs for mates' situation, but if so who're the mates? Where's the tangible connection of a mate helping a mate out unfairly? And if so, how was this singular mate influential enough to get the job done? Is Cameron Clyne drinking buddies with Tim North?

If it's not 'jobs for mates', then there has to be money illegally (or underhandedly) being exchanged. If so, can someone point to me where that happened?

Sydney rugby types who included the Former Rebels CEO who was a key player in both setting up the Rebels deal and the destruction of the Force.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I think there's a lot of reading between the lines going on here, particularly considering the majority of the information came from what can be called 'fan submissions'.

One community organisation scrapping to survive (RugbyWA) are apparently saints for doing it and another (VRU) are apparently evil geniuses, who are able to influence Sydney rugby. How I long for the days when both minor unions stood side by side in unison and complained about how nobody in Sydney or Brisbane rugby did shit for them.
Spin it how you want. But it does seem the VRU teemed up with the ARU to stab RugbyWA in the back.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I think we need to stop trying to soften what happened and hide behind 'incompetence' when it's becoming pretty clear it was more than that.
I eagerly await the next factually lacking suggestion that the best way to sweep a room is to lift up a corner of the rug first

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

At worst incompetence?
Incompetence is a sacking offence in every other job in the country.

There's a bit of me wishing that the ARU actions were more of a result of them being underhanded and sneaky for as you say,some not yet known benefit.

Cos the alternative is they are fucking clueless fluffybunnys who shouldn't be anywhere near the positions of power that they hold in this code.

And there is no mechanism to have a coup and clean the joint out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just a quick summary.............

The Senate Inquiry has returned a finding of everything we already knew or suspected, and there's not much they can do about it except make some obvious recommendations and at times state some not so nice things about the ARU..........

So, pretty much as expected?

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Just a quick summary.....

The Senate Inquiry has returned a finding of everything we already knew or suspected, and there's not much they can do about it except make some obvious recommendations and at times state some not so nice things about the ARU....

So, pretty much as expected?

I don't think everyone 'knew or expected' the information that came out of the enquiry before it was held.

Ot should we expect biased underhanded dealings from the custodians of the game in Oz?

Aside from that I'm not sure what your point is. Perhaps crack on business as usual? No need for any changes?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Spin it how you want. But it does seem the VRU teemed up with the ARU to stab RugbyWA in the back.
How does this narrative become lore? Genuine question. Is it Rob Clarke's former role as Rebels CEO?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
How does this narrative become lore? Genuine question. Is it Rob Clarke's former role as Rebels CEO?

Because it's just so fucking naive. As though a team with just as much to lose shouldn't exercise every legal and financial option available to assure its survival?

I mean, we're in a thread about a senate committee inquiry ffs, so let's talk about using legal avenues for our own ends.

This idea that the plucky lads from WA had a right over the Melbourne team to continue is cancer.

Rebels struck better deals and at the time when the ARU axe was over *both teams'* heads, only the Rebels had retained ownership of their licence.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tex, you are correct that the Rebels had retained their license, but it would have been worthless had the ARU not intervened to ensure they didn't become insolvent, (as apparently the Inquiry has found). It is the conduct of the ARU that is most under scrutiny.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tex, you are correct that the Rebels had retained their license, but it would have been worthless had the ARU not intervened to ensure they didn't become insolvent, (as apparently the Inquiry has found). It is the conduct of the ARU that is most under scrutiny.
So we need a senate enquiry and bunch of politicians to tell us the ARU are incompetent. Gees ask any oz rugby fan and they could have told you that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Since when did incompetency become an acceptable excuse for poor conduct? Sure, blame incompetency as much as you like, but then hold the culprits accountable and demand change not just pass it off as being excusable.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
It's no coincidence that Rob Clarke who was involved with setting up the shonky alliance agreement was also in the background and involved with the license transfer with Cox. Oh and was also the Rebels CEO when license was originally sold to Cox but can't recall if he ever met the bloke! A bit fishy me thinks. Rebels faithful good luck with your ongoing team but I do start to wonder that if the pricks in charge of the establishment go I'm wondering where the dosh is going to come from for you guys to survive. Out of a shit situation for us will be joy in long run with Twiggy ball. Unfortunately you guys are now backed into a corner that you have to stick by the establishment to survive.
Oh and another thing where's the moolah gonna come from for the grassroots like promised.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would seem that no organisation has benefited more from the removal of the Force than the Rebels.

Sometimes when you can not understand why a certain decision was made, you ask yourself the question, who stands to gain the most out of that decision? Then you can get a little closer to the genesis of the decision in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom