• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Senate enquiry into Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And is that all right with you BH? I daresay you would be as eager as most of us to get to the bottom of the shambles that is the ARU or to clean up the dire mess of the financial services and banking industry, but it doesn't come across in your many posts that seem to be presenting the arguments of the bad guys and even finding excuses for the way they behave.

T

TOCC

I don’t understand how the Rebels are able to sign so many new players, we’re hearing now that the ARU are making allowances around squad sizes and salary cap sizes.. how long have the Rebels known about this? They seem to be the only team signing players with the expectation that squad sizes and salary caps will be lifted.

Do they know something that others don’t, is this a strategy by the ARU to improve the competitiveness and subsequent financial feasibility of the Rebels, given they have already come close to being insolvent this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do we have something to learn from FIFA. The report has illustrated numerous governance issues but we seem incapable of influencing or forcing a change.

FFA similar to the ARU are in the gun with their various stakeholders.

However FIFA have governance standards they demand off their members { OK OK OK its effectively FIFA saying do what I say not what I do].

Anywho it allows stakeholders to seek FIFA assistance. My limited understanding its used reasonably regularly.

So various soccer stakeholders in soccer have complained to FIFA and it looks like FIFA will sack the FFA board very soon unless they change.

The International Rugby Board cough cough cough should IMO be given similar power.

Very difficult to get off the ground however it does allow when incompetence fuelled by egos and self interest is destroying the game for a circuit breaker.

Well it makes sense to me.

I think the major governance problems are at the levels below (i.e. the members of the ARU). The governance changes that happened at the ARU a few years ago greatly increased the independence of the board and its structure. The problem is how power is vested in the members and the lack of good governance models within those member unions. I think the situation would be much better if it was the NSWRU and QRU (mostly because they control so much of the voting power of the ARU membership) that had a governance overhaul.
And is that all right with you BH? I daresay you would be as eager as most of us to get to the bottom of the shambles that is the ARU or to clean up the dire mess of the financial services and banking industry, but it doesn't come across in your many posts that seem to be presenting the arguments of the bad guys and even finding excuses for the way they behave.

I definitely think there should be a banking royal commission. I would definitely like to see root and branch reform of rugby in Australia. I just don't have a lot of faith that it is going to come about through such things as a Senate enquiry and a recommendation to ASIC to have a look at several issues. ASIC in particular are severely under-resourced and if anything that is increasing. It's almost like it's a feature that the corporate regulator isn't given the necessary tools to do their job properly.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Well, perhaps a banking royal commission might free up some of their otherwise overworked and underpaid investigative staff?

I look forward to Labor rolling out that when they win the next election, until then ............................

half

Alan Cameron (40)
BH

I agree levels under the ARU level are also in need of change.

I guess thats my whole point. Its near impossible to influence and or force change.

FIFA for all its ills around the world cup, does have a good management structure and is not scared when a nation or a national board step out of line to go in and take over and appoint new people to run it.

Its an open question because the IRB has no such power and bigger nations would maybe ignore them . However it is IMO worth considering giving the IRU the power to remove a board and appoint an interim local board to fix things..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I look forward to Labor rolling out that when they win the next election, until then ..........

Could be sooner than that, FP, if a certain long white cloud remains over Capital Hill.

Or indeed drizzle keeps blowing in from the Old Blighty citizenship office.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
What I can’t understand is, Mr North opened that can of worms by confirming the existence of the unit trust and stated that “There was in fact a subtrust. Imperium Sports Management Pty Ltd was the trustee of a trust, and the Imperium Sports Management unitrust was a party to the relevant transactions. I know that people who were individuals or companies associated had interest and took units in the trust. A number of people did that. I was not one of them.”
– yet, Mr Gray has written to the Senate in the Correspondence and referred to Mr Leahy’s testimony, and has all but accused Mr Leahy of spreading rumours – Mr Gray says: “It is important for the inquiry to be aware that Mr. Leahy’s evidence, and I assume his out of hearing conversations/ briefings, to those conducting the inquiry, are erroneous, not factual, and by his own admission to the inquiry based on uniformed supposition.(sic)”

The only reference Mr Leahy made about Mr Gray in his testimony was that “Two meetings were organised by Mr Gray”. Any other assumptions by Mr Gray regarding what was said in camera is ridiculous and one can only wonder why Mr Gray would feel the need to come out and make any assertions about Mr Leahy’s in camera statements.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Recommendation 4

4.29 The committee recommends that the Australian Securities and Investments Commission review the evidence received by the committee regarding transactions involving the Melbourne Rebels.

Recommendation 5

4.30 The committee recommends the Australian Securities and Investments Commission review the financial circumstances reported in the Australian Rugby Union's annual reports against the evidence presented to the committee.

My prediction is I don't think anything will come out of these two recommendations. If ASIC has anything more than a cursory glance at the transactions and financials I will be surprised.
My prediction was that you would predict that.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-1...-fight/9160868

RugbyWA is going into voluntary administration after the state's rugby body said it cannot afford to pay legal costs being sought over two failed legal attempts to save the Western Force.

The development comes after the Force was cut from the Super Rugby competition earlier this year.

RugbyWA took legal action to try to save the team, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

President Hans Sauer said the ARU had pursued the organisation for costs.

"The amount of money that they are chasing us for is such that we just don't have the resources," he said.

"We've made an offer and it was actually very generous.

"They rejected that, they want every single cent, every drop of blood they can get from us."

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Wasn't Twiggy's billions covering all this stuff?

Nup only if the Force stayed and the current board swung by the noose. Plus I don't think he wants them to get any extra coin if necessary. From a future sponsors and Sanzar point of view its not a good look for the establishment sending one of your member unions broke and giving out to other member unions to keep em in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.