• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SF2: England v South Africa 22/10/23 @ 0800 NZDT

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watched replay. Nice bit of schadenfreude for Farrell to be marched 10 for refusing to release the ball and talking back to the ref. Made an unkickable penalty kickable. Which ended up making the difference.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just watched replay. Nice bit of schadenfreude for Farrell to be marched 10 for refusing to release the ball and talking back to the ref. Made an unkickable penalty kickable. Which ended up making the difference in the end.

It was a *chef's kiss* moment, wasn't it?

Someone must've had a word at HT 'cos he was way less obnoxious in the second.

Did they interview him post-match? Did he cry or look like he was about to?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was a *chef's kiss* moment, wasn't it?

Someone must've had a word at HT 'cos he was way less obnoxious in the second.

Did they interview him post-match? Did he cry or look like he was about to?
He seemed as obnoxious as the first half, BOK seemed to have the poops with both Captains at one point

Interestedoz1

Bob McCowan (2)
Rugby in the southern hemisphere may not be dead, but it's also not a great advertisement for Super Rugby considering since South Africa started their evacuation from the competition in 2018 (dropping two teams) and 2020 fully leaving the comp, they've made it to back-to-back RWC finals.

NZ obviously flying the Super Rugby flag but I imagine they'd be in the same position whether or not they were whipping the Aussie teams arses every other week.

It's a great point. I for a long time have been saying the state of Australian rugby has been hurting NZ - but this world cup is suggesting to me it has had no effect. I actually wonder if the relentless beating of Aussie teams in the super rugby in concert with the 20 year title defence of the Bledisloe may have actually helped NZ by providing a deep confidence that can be called on during a tournament such as the RWC?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He seemed as obnoxious as the first half, BOK seemed to have the poops with both Captains at one point
I think with the Tuilagi penalty, BOK probably wasn’t too pleased with Farrell turning around, grinning and generally not showing any respect to him when he wanted to sound a general warning to both captains. He was like a smartarsed year 8 student called up to the front of the class by a teacher they don’t respect. You wonder if that contributed to the overturning of the initial decision?

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think with the Tuilagi penalty, BOK probably wasn’t too pleased with Farrell turning around, grinning and generally not showing any respect to him when he wanted to sound a general warning to both captains. He was like a smartarsed year 8 student called up to the front of the class by a teacher they don’t respect. You wonder if that contributed to the overturning of the initial decision?
Quite possibly - I think it was the back chat, and I think he mentioned that Tuilagi rushed in when he didn't need to

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I really enjoyed the game - other than the time wasting tactics. But even that I think added to the result in the end when England eventually came unstuck. Mighty effort by the Bok bench forwards to turn the tide. Still mystified why you would take Etzebeth off but they won so what do I know.

Next week should be titanic. Theoretically NZ’s less intense semi should work in their favour but I am honestly not sure it will work out that way with this SA forward pack.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Personally I really enjoyed the game - other than the time wasting tactics. But even that I think added to the result in the end when England eventually came unstuck. Mighty effort by the Bok bench forwards to turn the tide. Still mystified why you would take Etzebeth off but they won so what do I know.

Next week should be titanic. Theoretically NZ’s less intense semi should work in their favour but I am honestly not sure it will work out that way with this SA forward pack.
Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the battle.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It's a great point. I for a long time have been saying the state of Australian rugby has been hurting NZ - but this world cup is suggesting to me it has had no effect. I actually wonder if the relentless beating of Aussie teams in the super rugby in concert with the 20 year title defence of the Bledisloe may have actually helped NZ by providing a deep confidence that can be called on during a tournament such as the RWC?
If the Irish hooker stays bound to the maul for 2 more seconds, they score and NZ go home in the QF

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The tears of Lawrence Dellaglio (extra salty)...

IMG_1200.JPG

“O’Keeffe is going to be the talking point as he’s won them the game – not South Africa,”

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Nah it’s good to see England’s anti rugby style fail. South Africa got their tactics completely wrong and still found a way to win

An NZ England final would have been a bloodbath, South Africa match up much better
But SA play anti rugby style as well, the two worst styles of rugby just met, making a close horrible game of rugby.