• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SF2: England v South Africa 22/10/23 @ 0800 NZDT

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As funny as it would be for England to keep on winning, I don't see it happening, unfortunately. That being the case, my hopes and dreams for this match are that England can just physically batter the Boks and wear them out for the final. Grind it down into a disgusting 15-6 penalty + drop goal fueled slug fest loss pls, England.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That ended up being a pretty good watch in the end.

Derpus, pretty sure you will watch it, it could end up being immense. If you don’t you could be like all those people who cleared out of Sydney for the 2000 Olympics.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Feel bad for Steward. Was excellent all game but then botches an up and under and knocks on to boot to hand the game up to SA on a plate.

That le Roux mark was pretty stupid. He literally called it after he'd stepped out of the 22 right in front of O'Keeffe.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm watching now on delay, and gees the poms are really slowing this game down. 40 minutes watching, 30 minutes on the clock

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The reports of the death of southern hemisphere rugby were greatly exaggerated.

Rugby in the southern hemisphere may not be dead, but it's also not a great advertisement for Super Rugby considering since South Africa started their evacuation from the competition in 2018 (dropping two teams) and 2020 fully leaving the comp, they've made it to back-to-back RWC finals.

NZ obviously flying the Super Rugby flag but I imagine they'd be in the same position whether or not they were whipping the Aussie teams arses every other week.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ringinland smashed in one World Cup & popped at the post in another by the same opposition in the space of less than 24 hours, that's gotta be unique.
Given the crossover in nations between Cricket and Rugby and the fact that the world cups are always the same year I wouldn't be surprised if something like at has happened before with the same sports. Lots of symmetry in the past - Australia did the double in 99, New Zealand beat South Africa in both semi's in 2015 with both finals being Aus v NZ with the results flipped, England did us in Quarter (rugby) and Semi (cricket) in 2019, etc.

That said, the 24 hour part might have it stand apart, given the cricket world cup moves around the year a fair bit.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Although the game was a lot closer than expected, the outcome was totally as predicted in that South Africa won being the only try scorers and all of England’s points coming off Farrell’s boot.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Very unfortunate way to decide a World Cup semi-final. I was actually disappointed when the Saffers stole the game, the Soapies did everything but win. Itoje was magnificent.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah it’s good to see England’s anti rugby style fail. South Africa got their tactics completely wrong and still found a way to win

An NZ England final would have been a bloodbath, South Africa match up much better
Rugby tactics seem to have devolved into box kicks between the 22s - forever.