• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks v Reds Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty sure Genia's tackle was early off the scrum at 45 minutes, really hate him doing that. Should have been penalised by the ref.

Reds kick away way too much ball: Genia giving away good attacking ball in the 22 this time at 47 minutes. Toua then drops the ball with more than a half chance at 48 minutes after a great move worked by Genia, Cooper and Davies. Toua with another grubber in the 51st minute, drops the regather when he could have falling over the line.

Thought Toua had a mixed bag, with the negatives easily outweighing the positives.

Good unders line from Harris to score that try.

Reds scrum: how inconsistent are they? They splintered the Sharks a few times, and other times the Beast drove through or around the tighthead side too easily.

Not too upset with the loss, as the Sharks had been talked up to give the Reds a hiding. Hoped for a bonus point at best. At the end of the day, the biggest difference between the sides was that the Sharks kicked every penalty they got anywhere close to the halfway line in. If the Reds can reign in the penalties, they should beat the Lions comfortably. If they are penalised off the park and give away 15 penalties again, expect the Lions to kick 30 points in penalties. Reds need 5 points vs the Lions, but it may be a tough task.

The bright side, ignoring the penalties given away, was improved forward performance and Genia and Cooper looking dangerous.

T

tranquility

Sharks were the better side, and deserved the victory. Some of physicality was incredible.

However it was aided by some very questionable decisions. Clearly I am bias, but I think if that game were to be objectively analysed it would raise a few 'please explains.' Especially some of the ruck penalties towards the end award to Coetzee. These decisions do not happen in a vacuum, they effect the momentum of the game often as directly as 3 points.

Thought we showed some genuine ticker, but I also think we could have won. We didn't however, so we move on. I can't work out if we should drop Harris for Taps or not?

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
I call BS on the posts in regards to reds fans bagging the ref. My view is that the posters with the angry koala in at the top right have been more than gracious and forgiving of the standard of referees.
Lets face it, and I have said this before, the current crop of adjudicators are atrocious. Its just not good enough in this day and age of supposed professionalism. Do their performances get reviewed?, if they are, its not working.
I am not saying the ref cost us the game last night , and I believe no reds fan has . The reds blew it and we know it. My comment in regards to the standard of refereeing in my view applies across the whole competition.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
When oh when will the Reds' coaches realise that Harris is a totally inadequate player at 12 for 2014's competitive standards as set by the best teams if our goal is - seriously - to win another S15 title.
I'm beginning to think that you only see what you want to see. Harris had a great game. He bombed a try but he was not the only one to drop a pill last night. The handling errors were all over the shop. That's what happens in 300% humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Super Rugby Ref's should all be Natural... The sport makes enough money to fly these guys around for the game, and they should be paid enough that they want to do it and if not then they don't ref super rugby...

This is only a small part of the issue and but will help with perception..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It's not just the cost of flying refs around but Tomikin. The players all crack up at the travel they have to do and they're at home as much as they are away. Having neutral refs means that every week is an away week for them. Some of them also referee in other comps. Craig Joubert for example was in Europe one week reffing a 6N game and the next week he was in NZ. That amount of travel week in week out is not sustainable. They will simply burn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

Its not a good look, when in Durban in front of however many Saffas all going mental, you have three SA referees and the opposition tight head prop speaking to the referee a length in an language you don't understand.

Surely we are past this stage in our professionalism.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Implementing such a system can only lead to more bad performances than the current set up. If we aim to eliminate as many bad decisions as possible, we should not restrict the pool of referees for inter-country games to the 7 or 8 guys who happen to be on the national panel of the neutral country.

In a week with 3 Aus vs SA games, you could have NZ's 3rd best ref (who even is that) on a Brumbies vs Stormers game. I'm sure the teams would prefer someone like Joubert if available to be honest.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Another penalty for holding on earnt from Coetzee, who was never on his feet at 43 minutes. If I was Coetzee, I would be loving this ref every week.

Reds stole the lineout, only for Toua to kick it away.

The ref might not be intentionally biased but his performance helped one team more than the other. If he doesn't want to be seen as biased he needs to look at both teams and in particular how many times that the Sharks dive off their feet at rucks.

But worst of all was three instances:

1. Having a joke around with Lambir and patting him on the back in the first half

2. After Gill is penalised for holding on in the first half Genia comes away with the ball and doesn't give it to the Sharks player who takes offense and then Quirk gets involved. Nothing in it until the Sharks player has a whinge to the rf about not getting the ball and the ref decides to warn Horwill about his teams discipline despite not appearing to know about the incident until the Sharks player tells him.

3. Having another joke around with Lambie when waiting for the TMO. Genia (acting captain) then tries to talk to him and he waves him away.

He may not be intentionally biased but he does need to treat both lots of players in the same way and with the same respect.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Now to the Reds performance - I thought it was the best of the season so far. Didn't get the result but looked a lot more menacing in attack both close and wide. If the decisions went 50/50 and the Reds held onto at least one of those balls they could easily come away with the points.

T

TOCC

Yeah i can't say i was overly disappointed with the Reds performance, i did watch only portions of the game though so i might have missed some... But they(Reds) seemed to build pressure really well, they seemed to have control of the game through the 30-70min mark IMO, it was just the first 30 and last 10minuted when the Sharks were dominating.

T

TOCC

As for the Refs, I'm happy that as long as there is the correct oversight of the referees occurring and proper due diligence taking place on assessing controversial decisions that we are passed an era of biased refereeing, Refs will make mistakes thats part of the game, Refs will also occasionally get caught up in the atmosphere of the crowd and that may sway a decisions or two, but thats going to happen regardless of what country they come from.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
was too tired to post after the game last night but my views basically echo the general sentiment above. really frustrating loss because we actually looked like we could have taken that game had things come together for us, but we were our own worst enemy at times. I thought we looked the better side for much of the game but when we werent bombing tries we were being penalised off the park. The Sharks seemed to get the bounce of the ball and the benefit of some home-town refereeing. seriously how many times were we penalised on attack? the referee had a hard on for the sharks. the yellow card at the end seemed to come out of nowhere and effectively killed off our comeback.

i think we'll take the Lions next week and 1 from 2 in SA isnt bad

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The ref might not be intentionally biased but his performance helped one team more than the other. If he doesn't want to be seen as biased he needs to look at both teams and in particular how many times that the Sharks dive off their feet at rucks.

But worst of all was three instances:

1. Having a joke around with Lambir and patting him on the back in the first half

2. After Gill is penalised for holding on in the first half Genia comes away with the ball and doesn't give it to the Sharks player who takes offense and then Quirk gets involved. Nothing in it until the Sharks player has a whinge to the rf about not getting the ball and the ref decides to warn Horwill about his teams discipline despite not appearing to know about the incident until the Sharks player tells him.

3. Having another joke around with Lambie when waiting for the TMO. Genia (acting captain) then tries to talk to him and he waves him away.

He may not be intentionally biased but he does need to treat both lots of players in the same way and with the same respect.

this is all very interesting and actually reminds me of some observations i made last night about the way the ref was dealing with the two teams. The Ref was shitting all over Horwill for most of the game, constantly reprimanding him, yet on at least two occasions he was happy to let JDP give him lectures on the arts of scrummaging and he just stood their nodding like a little bitch.

seriously at least give the impression of impartiality

Status
Not open for further replies.