• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
TheRiddler said:
Gordon threw their game away with the last play, what looked like a knock on in the in-goal area which Norths pounced on to score a match-levelling try. Luckily they missed the conversion so it finished in a draw. Gordon looking like they still have plenty of work to do this season, North very much improved.

Steaks and snags at the BBQ seemed to go down very well. Sold out of everything by the time 1st grade started. Chef must have been doing something right ;)

Chef was doing something right but you need to sack the catering manager.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
DPK said:
AussieDominance said:
Piukala from the North Shore(around Hornsby area) played for Hornsby Rugby Club pretty sure, obviously tongan heritage. Did play Subbies with his mates for a while and might have even represented Tonga in a World Cup squad or something like that.

But grew up in Hornsby.

What do we reckon? Chance for the Tah's? How old is he?

Pretty sure he grew up in Hornsby I went to Primary school with a few of his cousins... Im 18 now and one of them is playing for Manly Toyota Cup - http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx...display&id=2263&team=Sea+Eagles-NYC&sione-ala

I thought he is a good tackle breaker but he is not exactly quick is he?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
AussieDominance said:
DPK said:
AussieDominance said:
Piukala from the North Shore(around Hornsby area) played for Hornsby Rugby Club pretty sure, obviously tongan heritage. Did play Subbies with his mates for a while and might have even represented Tonga in a World Cup squad or something like that.

But grew up in Hornsby.

What do we reckon? Chance for the Tah's? How old is he?

Both games I've seen him play this year have been at 12, he's very strong in the tackle and nearly always drives over the advantage line. Tough defender (strong tackler) but also has good offloading/passing skills.

Pace isn't everything at 12 (see Barnes, Carter).

Pretty sure he grew up in Hornsby I went to Primary school with a few of his cousins... Im 18 now and one of them is playing for Manly Toyota Cup - http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx...display&id=2263&team=Sea+Eagles-NYC&sione-ala

I thought he is a good tackle breaker but he is not exactly quick is he?

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Ross Hopkins has wielded the axe - frustrated with 2 draws and a loss to start the season. Wholesale changes to Gordon first grade this week.

Dropped: Lamarn Ma'a, Paulie Tuala, Vinnie Byrne, Greg Wade, Mark Preston
In: Travis Church (3), Brian Perry (6), Tom Sully (9), Dane Haylett-Petty (at 13), Corey Brown (11), and in his long awaited debut for Gordon, "Dud" Roodt will play off the bench (Tahs orders are for no more than 40 minutes)

Riddler - Steak sandwich definitely hit the spot on the weekend, would have said hi but there were 4 of you back there and I had no idea which one you were...

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
thatguy said:
Riddler - Steak sandwich definitely hit the spot on the weekend, would have said hi but there were 4 of you back there and I had no idea which one you were...

The young, good looking (if slightly overweight) one doing the actual cooking!

I had hoped that with the supposed hunger and battle for places that was going to be a feature this year that Gordon were going to be well and truly up for it. However the side I saw last week didnt seem to have the cohesion and togetherness of last season. Is Ed Gower still doing the job as captain? Does he have a good relationship with Hopkins? I hear that Jared Barry's shoulder isnt as bad as first thought and he could be back in a couple of weeks so hopefully with the Dud available as well there could be a really fight for the second row.

What grade do you play TG?

West Harbour usually do a mean BBQ so will be comparing notes on their fare when Mrs Riddler and I visit Concord on Saturday afternoon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
let us know how Tom Sully goes. He played for my club GPS up here.

When Will Genia first burst into the QLD side, straight from Colts, during the Eddie Jones reign, at end of S14 season when he went back to club land (also at GPS) he played off the bench or sometimes at 10 because GPS preferred Sully!

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Noddy - Tom Sully has looked good in 2nd grade so far, good passing game and doesn't mind a bit of contact for a little fella. Will let you know how he goes this weekend.

Riddler - original choice for captain was Hercus (who was supposed to be back this week), the leadership is really shared between Gower and Harvey at the moment. You are right though something isn't clicking at the moment. No problems I'm aware of between Rossco and any of the players. Personally, I find Rosco much more personable than Lachie Fear. If you weren't one of Lachie Fear's favourites you wouldn't get the time of day but Rossco is happy to talk to Fifth and first graders alike. I think the big problem this year is without a full time professional coach, the preseason wasn't up to the standards set over the past few years. Its no-ones fault the resources just weren't there. Hopefully the first grade team starts to click in the next few weeks.

Look out for Brian Perry this week at 6 - I like this kid very physical and hardworking player.

Jared Barry - looking like he will be 3-4 weeks away, supposedly there is another 2nd rower showing up from Scotland in the not too distance future as well.

As for me playing - sadly, I retired a few years ago due to injury. I had played all four grades for the club, mainly 2s and 3s with 2 games (albeit 5 minutes off the bench in both) in first grade. I'm now just helping out with the lower grades.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I just got an email from the club to say that Brian Melrose will leave Eastwood around the end of the first round of matches, to take up a position with a major club in Europe.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
thatguy said:
Look out for Brian Perry this week at 6 - I like this kid very physical and hardworking player.

I've liked the look of Brian for a coupe of years. Good, hard, aggressive player - maybe sometimes too aggressive (hence his sin binning in last years final at Woolhara) - however he did well to not "respond" to the provocation he got from Norths last week. His giddyup horsey antics were very amusing. Had a quick chat to him after the first grade game - seems a good kid.

thatguy said:
As for me playing - sadly, I retired a few years ago due to injury. I had played all four grades for the club, mainly 2s and 3s with 2 games (albeit 5 minutes off the bench in both) in first grade. I'm now just helping out with the lower grades.

Did you ever play with Mike "The King" Spalding? He's just started playing with the Golden Oldies team. Monster of a man. Over 400 grade appearances for Gordon. Legend!

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Played a few times with and have had many beers over the last few years with The King.

Had a chat to him on Saturday and was try to recruit him for fourth grade (trying to tempt him to have a crack at 500 games) before he mentioned he was having a run around with the golden oldies. A great bloke to have in your team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Talking about Gordon legends, my favourite would have to be Don Logan - okay I am showing my age. But Logan was a very good first grade halfback, and a Wallaby.

He ended his career at prop in fourth grade. Great club man.

Cyril Towers (30)
thatguy said:

I am also a fan of "Bubba" Perry, although I haven't seen much of him in the last couple of years. Very aggressive and physical and (like Ben Coridas) had a reputation for going so hard at everything that he often smashed his own players at training causing more than a few "friendly fire" injuries.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes, like Bubba's play as well one of a few Barker products over the last few seasons Ben Whittaker, Alcock, Hugh Pyle to name a few.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
wamberal said:
I just got an email from the club to say that Brian Melrose will leave Eastwood around the end of the first round of matches, to take up a position with a major club in Europe.

Im good mates with his son, a bloody good player in his own right(Year 12 Kings now). Will have a chat to see what he says.

I am mighty sure a lot of the players Eastwood have on the books are at the club because of Melrose. I can see the current crop most of them sticking around but in a few seasons without a coach like Melrose I can see them struggling a bit a club needs a bit of turnover and Eastwood couldn't recruit one player to the top grade this season, a few of these players also might move on to higher representative honours Bennetts, McCaffrey etc so imo Eastwood need to find a bit more backing and fast.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Also note Luke Jones in the unusual colours of Sydney Uni this weekend it will be an unusual experience being a Gordon Junior all the way through his childhood.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
AussieDominance said:
Also note Luke Jones in the unusual colours of Sydney Uni this weekend it will be an unusual experience being a Gordon Junior all the way through his childhood.

Yes, certainly a Gordon junior all the way through- although around the age of 13/14 he couldn't majke the Gordon Rep team. Got back in around 15/16 but not always a 1st team pick. Could have been some resentment there.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Not that I remember, but may have been true. Don't think any resentment there from my understanding just the oppurtunities and financial oppurtunities(possibly through scholarships etc) Uni offered.

You can't underestimate this with Uni even recruiting QLD Schoolboys as a part of their scholarship program.

Uni would have close to twenty through the Colts/Grade System who were Gordon Juniors...

I mean Charles, Tom Carter & Luke are all Wahroonga Juniors.

Cyril Towers (30)
AussieDominance said:
Not that I remember, but may have been true. Don't think any resentment there from my understanding just the oppurtunities and financial oppurtunities(possibly through scholarships etc) Uni offered.

You can't underestimate this with Uni even recruiting QLD Schoolboys as a part of their scholarship program.

Uni would have close to twenty through the Colts/Grade System who were Gordon Juniors...

I mean Charles, Tom Carter & Luke are all Wahroonga Juniors.

?Tom Carter? I think Young Yabbies would have a greater claim on him.
PS: please note that I am biting my tongue about the anti Uni paranoia that is once again rearing it's ugly head.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Teams for this week

Teams have been announced for round four of the 2010 Tooheys New Shute Shield to be played on Saturday 1 May.
Tooheys New Shute Shield
Tooheys New Shute Shield
2010 TOOHEYS NEW SHUTE SHIELD
Round 4 - 1 May 2010

NORTHERN SUBURBS v MANLY at North Sydney Oval (ABC TV Game, 3:10pm)
Northern Suburbs: 1. Nathan Rickard, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Nick Lah [c]; 4. Rory Walton, 5. Tai Marsters; 6. Seti Tafua, 7. Carlos Blanco, 8. Mat Lamont; 9. Steve Evans, 10. Chris Burnett; 11. Cam Crawford, 12. Chris Moore, 13. James Lew, 14. Junior Kolikata; 15. Ben Borg.
Manly: 1. Selesi Manu, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Eddie Aholelei; 4. Greg Peterson, 5. Caydern Neville; 6. Tevita Metiusela, 7. Will Brame [c], 8. Marlon Solofuti; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Ben Seymour; 11. Richard Hooper, 12. Luke Johnson, 13. John Payne, 14. Nemani Nadolo; 15. Adam D'Arcy.
Referee: Steve Hardy

EASTERN SUBURBS v EASTWOOD at Woollahra Oval (3:00pm)
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga'anuku, 2. Jessie Davidson, 3. Rob McMickan; 4. Phil Mathers, 5. Matt McGann; 6. Ed Brenac, 7. Will Brock, 8. Pauliasi Taumeopeau; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Ben Ward; 11. John Collignon, 12. Tim Corcoran, 13. Petero Satogo, 14. Damon Anderson; 15. Patrick Dellit.
Eastwood: 1. Simon Norris, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Barry Fa'amuasili; 4. Tom Alexander, 5. Jared Hanna; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Hugh Perrett [c], 8. Locky McCaffrey; 9. Dave Rimmer, 10. James Foote; 11. Cameron Mitchell, 12. Sione Piukala, 13. Tim Bennetts, 14. John Grant; 15. James Stannard.
Referee: Ian Smith

SOUTHERN DISTRICTS v PENRITH at Forshaw Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Southern Districts: 1. Tetera Faulkner, 2. Sam Zlatevski, 3. John Ulugia; 4. Nifo Nifo, 5. Sitaleki Timani; 6. Matt Trouville, 7. Callum Reilly, 8. Ita Luitiene Vaea; 9. Nathan Sievert, 10. Josh Gamgee [c]; 11. Ben Connelly, 12. Gareth Morton, 13. Ben Schreiber, 14. Tom Korio; 15. Nicky Price.
Penrith: 1. Dave Coventry, 2. Matt Borg, 3. Toa Asa; 4. Johnny Smith, 5. Saviriano Shaw; 6. Winnie Paulo, 7. Junior To'o, 8. Chris Aho; 9. Sikuti Vunipola, 10. Gavin Duncan; 11. Leon Bott, 12. Stan Tuionuku, 13. Dave Alo, 14. Filipo Toala; 15. Luke Cross [c].
Referee: Daniel Cheever

WARRINGAH v SYDNEY UNIVERSITY at Pittwater Rugby Park (3:00pm)
Warringah: 1. Dan Raymond, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. Dan Barnard; 4. Scott Flint, 5. Brent Murphy; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Michael Lipman [c], 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Sam Hutcherson, 10. Brock McGarity; 11. Ed Doyle, 12. Haig Sare, 13. Will Sare, 14. Greg White; 15. Maurice Kennedy.
Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Ben Roberts, 3. Paddy Ryan; 4. Sam Carter, 5. Dave McDuling; 6. Adam Campbell, 7. Trent Dyer, 8. Luke Jones; 9. Eddie Brendanhann, 10. Dan Kelly; 11. Nick Edwards, 12. Alex Rokobaro, 13. Michael Hodge, 14. Ed Jenkins; 15. Peter Betham.
Referee: James Leckie

WEST HARBOUR v GORDON at Concord Oval (3:00pm)
West Harbour: 1.Campese Ma'afu, 2. Will Hannam, 3. Vaughan Lomax; 4. David Fungalei, 5. Steve Mafi; 6. James King, 7. Mark Porpiglia, 8. Pelea Afu; 9. Jeremy Su'a, 10. Jai Ayoub; 11. Tito Mua, 12. Henry Seavula, 13. Rory Sidey, 14. Damien Fakafanua; 15. Nick Reily.
Gordon: 1. Travis Church, 2. Nathan Nicol, 3. Martin Plokstys; 4. Ed Gower, 5. Kingsley Seale; 6. Bryan Perry, 7. Craig Thomas [c], 8. Billy Ratu; 9. Tom Sully, 10. Josh Keil; 11. Corey Brown, 12. Josh Whittaker, 13. Dane Haylett-Petty, 14. Terry Preston; 15. Dave Harvey.
Referee: Callan O'Neill

PARRAMATTA v RANDWICK at Granville Park (3:00pm)
Parramatta: 1.Richard Just, 2. Jono Ede, 3. Tor Killman; 4. Ben Fainga'a, 5. Josh Kron; 6. Sam Evalu, 7. Andrew Cox [c], 8. Maile Latukefu; 9. Zeb Filise, 10. Ben Gilbert; 11. Brendan Lane, 12. John Fonua, 13. Richard Williams, 14. Jessie Leota; 15. Mark Frost.
Randwick: 1. Daniel Spencer, 2. John Fonokalafi, 3. Jono Owen; 4. Will Crutchley, 5. Ross Kennedy; 6. Neil Meyer; 7. Leon Lam, 8. Sione Kepu; 9. Danny Kroll, 10. Brent Kelly [c]; 11. Clinton Sills, 12. Dane Inman, 13. Gene Fairbanks, 14. Dave Dillon; 15. Toby Browne.
Referee: Anthony Moyes

REPRESENTATIVE PLAYERS FEATURED THIS ROUND
HSBC Waratahs: Locky McCaffrey (Eastwood), Nemani Nadolo (Manly), Rory Sidey (West Harbour)
HSBC Junior Waratahs (Professional): Tim Bennetts (Eastwood), Adam D'Arcy (Manly), Ofa Fainga'anuku (Eastern Suburbs), Ed Jenkins (Sydney University), Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), Greg Peterson (Manly), Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
Western Force: Dane Haylett-Petty (Gordon), Haig Sare (Warringah), Luke Jones (Sydney University)

Status
Not open for further replies.