• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How will the commentators handle this bloke's name? They have trouble pronouncing "Smuth" correctly.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The local rag has an updated team for souths this weekend including Radke Samo - former Wallaby/Brumby. Souths have also created links to the Qld Reds. Articles are below (from www.theleader.com.au) - first time ever that souths have pushed both the Dragons and Sharks off the back page.

Gentle giant adds weight
BY BRAD FORREST
15 Apr, 2010 04:00 AM
FORMER Wallaby backrow giant, Radike Samo, yesterday agreed to join Southern Districts after playing in France and Japan during the past four years.
The Fijian-born Samo, who debuts for the club against Manly on Saturday, is one of the game's biggest players, standing 1.97metres and weighing 115kilograms.

He is known for his one-handed ball grip and big running game. A lock or flanker, he played 41 games for the ACT Brumbies between 2000 and 2006, winning Wallaby selection and playing six Tests in 2004 before playing with French giants Stade Francais Paris and then playing in Japan.

"He is a giant of a man and with his expereince he is going to be very good for our pack,'' said coach Darren Bray, whose side boasts new No. 4 and No. 5 players in Brumbies Runners Nifo Nifo and Sita Tuamani.

After taking apart their Gordon scrum last Saturday, Souths have to find a replacement for Waratah tight-head Dan Palmer, who was sent off for dissent and given a one-match suspension.

They also have to check the fitness of flanker Jono Hayes and fullback Marshall Milroy.

Halves Nathan Sievert and John Gamgee will be anxious to get plenty of ball to their new speedy outside backs, especially Sisa Waqa and Nicky Price.

A likely starting Souths side is 1 Tetra Faulkner, 2 Sam Zlatevski, 3 John Ulugia, 4 Nifo Nifo, 5 Sita Tuamani, 6 Matt Trouville, 7 Jono Hayes, 8 Radike Samo, 9 Nathan Sievert, 10 Josh Gamgee (c), 11 Callum Reilly, 12 Brackin Henry, 13 Ben Schreiber, 14 Sisa

Waqa, 15 Nicky Price.

New-look Rebels
BY BRAD FORREST
15 Apr, 2010 04:00 AM
SOUTHERN Districts players have a new team and a new pathway to Super 14 rugby courtesy of their long-running benefactor, Kevin Maloney, and his investment in the Queensland Reds.
On the eve of Souths' first home game of the 2010 Shute Shield season against Manly at Forshaw Park on Saturday, after beating Gordon 34-20 in round one, Maloney spoke passionately about big plans for the Southern Districts Rebels in 2010.

Maloney's The Mac Company, with connections to the large Queensland mining companies, has linked up with the Reds and their coach Ewan McKenzie, a long-time friend of Maloney.

One of their targets has been trying to lure former Dragons international Mark Gasnier, back from French rugby, with guest appearances with Southern Districts part of the deal.

The Reds will also "warehouse'' some of their other players with Southern Districts during the season.

Maloney said while his company had also financially helped the club's NSW Waratahs representatives Rob Horne, Kane Douglas and Dan Palmer, the new investment in the Reds would pave the way for Rebels players in the Super 14 and Super 15 next year.

As a result McKenzie, the former NSW Waratahs coach and a good friend of Maloney, will be conducting some training sessions at Forshaw Park during the season, and keeping tabs on some of the exciting new players at Sylvania Waters headquarters, under new Rebels

coach Darren Bray.

"These days, to be successful, you virtually have to get professional players from all around the world,'' said Maloney, who pulled out of a planned investment in the new Melbourne rugby franchise late last year.

"I had to look interstate to give our [Southern Districts] players a pathway. I've known Ewan personally for many years, and the Reds are more closely aligned to the mining industry, so it is a good fit all round.''

Maloney said he was ``pleased'' the club had given new Rebels first grade coach Darren Bray an opportunity.

"Darren has some new talent at the club, and he has the right professional attitude to make a difference this season.'' Maloney said.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Noddy said:
not a chance the QRU would yet Reds players play for Souths would they?

I woundlt have thought so, but given the QRU financial situation I would suggest that anything is possible. I doubt this will be a big deal - probably 2 or 3 fringe or junior players will play one or two games at some point or time, but that could make a big impact for Southern Districts as they are normally cellar dwellers.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's a report in the Daily Telegraph that Radike Samo turned up at Southern Districts training on Tuesday night and could be a chance of showing off his one handed ball carrying skills this weekend

Can't find it online though......

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
How come the West Harbour support vote dropped from 3 back down to 2? Who's the traitorous scurvey out there that Lindommer and I will have to make walk the plank?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Aussie D said:
How come the West Harbour support vote dropped from 3 back down to 2? Who's the traitorous scurvey out there that Lindommer and I will have to make walk the plank?

If its worth anything, the Pirates are my 2nd team (after the mighty Beasts) and probably everyone else's too. Who doesn't love the one handed, isn't this 7s ? Pirates ?!

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
AussieDominance said:
Samo played for what club before he went overseas? Was it Souths?

Manly. But a shitload of time at the Canberra Vikings before that.

He was unlucky to not play more tests.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
naza said:
AussieDominance said:
Samo played for what club before he went overseas? Was it Souths?

Manly. But a shitload of time at the Canberra Vikings before that.

He was unlucky to not play more tests.

he never played for Manly. You are thinking of Seranusi "Bruce" Raque (that spelling is definitely wrong).

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I mentioned surprise at Rokobaro being picked at 15 last week, and see he is at 12 tomorrow. How versatile is he and can anyone comment on how he went last week?

Interesting to see Nicky Price in the top grade. He must have got his mojo back because he was downright ordinary in the games I saw him play in Qld earlier this year.

Cyril Towers (30)
I think it is less about his versatility and more about Uni's lack of 10/12 options at this time of year. When things settle down he'll be back on the wing. He didn't set the world on fire last week but certainly didn't disgrace himself.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Southern 35 - Manly 34

What a game! Fantastic to watch, some tenacious defence from both sides.

Nadolo wasn't great. Samo was OK, might be a few weeks until he has regained match fitness.

R

rugbywhisperer

is it asking too much for you Sydney based rugbyphiles to post the results.
Some of us while living (read surviving with stilted breath) in Qld are really in disguise Blue and Blue, with of course the occasional Blue and White.

TerryTate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Tooheys New Shute Shield Results - Round 2:
Southern Districts 35 def Manly 34
Northern Suburbs 28 def Eastwood 6
Eastern Suburbs 38 def West Harbour 14
Warringah 11 drew Gordon 11
Syndey University 47 def Parramatta 0
Randwick 41 def Penrith 5

C

chief

Watched of Southern Districts against Manly. I think Manly really did the win. That being said, both teams looked pretty good, I thought Radike Samo was playing in France

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
spectator said:
I mentioned surprise at Rokobaro being picked at 15 last week, and see he is at 12 tomorrow. How versatile is he and can anyone comment on how he went last week?

Interesting to see Nicky Price in the top grade. He must have got his mojo back because he was downright ordinary in the games I saw him play in Qld earlier this year.

Can't tell you anything about Alex - maybe Bruce Ross or topo can give you a comment. They are Uni men.

I remember your mentioning Nicky Price as being ordinary earlier this year and IIRR Noddy said something similar. I saw the TV highlights from last week and he finished a try OK, but today his Southern Districts team was playing Manly in the TV game today. It was my first look at him in a senior match for 80 minutes.

He played fullback and he looked really good without being tested a whole lot. He still knows how to finish a try. Not a hint of being ordinary.

I hope he keeps it up. It is probably best for him to play down here. You have so many good, young, fast wingers and fullbacks up there, and more coming through, that he probably has a better chance of cracking an Academy spot here. And the Melbourne scouts will be sniffing around at all the games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.