• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Uni looked bloody good, Barnes directed the side well and kept the score board ticking over kicking very well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
sounds like just the type of performance we want from our back up 10 and 12. Both Gits and Coops should be on notice.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Uni 27 Easts 3 at HT
Uni 42 Easts 17 at FT

Fairly predictable. I didn't even bother watching the 2nd half.

Aaah, but surely there will be dancing in the streets of Glebe, Camperdown, Newtown, etc, especially all the kids who are attracted to the game because of the wonderful Sydney University junior development programmes will be overjoyed.

Serious question. Has Sydney University ever developed a single player from the junior ranks in all its history? One?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
sounds like just the type of performance we want from our back up 10 and 12. Both Gits and Coops should be on notice.

Barnes is a very "test match"/finals style 10. Plays it safe as needed, makes good decisions, great defense and is really kicking goals well

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aaah, but surely there will be dancing in the streets of Glebe, Camperdown, Newtown, etc, especially all the kids who are attracted to the game because of the wonderful Sydney University junior development programmes will be overjoyed.

Serious question. Has Sydney University ever developed a single player from the junior ranks in all its history? One?

I am one who is all for junior development. There is something noble about the thought that the little tacker you see running aroung in the Under 6's at the local village park will one day become a Wallaby.

The reality I see (and please correct me if I am wrong) appears to be that the Premier clubs in Sydney will recruit players from anywhere into their Grade and Colts programmes. There does not seem to be any preference given to kids "developed" from within their boundaries.

Uni have done their homework and established a structure around the club that attracts players. Instead of whinging about how it is getting boring with them winning all the time, the clubs should get off their bums, and try and replicate the Uni model in order to maximise their chances for success.

Junior development is a furphy. Clubs are happy to have the Private school system do most of it for them. If there is a Fijian, NZ or NSW country player who is any good, then they will recruit them for their 1st grade team, and stuff the young man who has played for the club/district since the Under 6's.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Instead of whinging about how it is getting boring with them winning all the time, the clubs should get off their bums, and try and replicate the Uni model in order to maximise their chances for success.

Agree - well, as much as they can without a university.

The anti Uni-jibes are getting boring. As one who has made many myself in the past it may sound a bit rich coming from me, but it's boring now. We hear the whinges several times a year and the rebuttals. The following year the same things are mentioned and as usual a goodly percentage of comments are dead wrong.

Boring - let's move on - but it doesn't mean I'm not allowed to bore people about Andy Friend and Michael Hooper. That's different.

Mind you if there is another Uni v Randwick final I will vomit.

So long as they are not playing the Rats I enjoy seeing all the good players playing again for Uni and watching their good rugby. I've seen a lot of good non-test rugby recently: Top14, ITM and CCup and having signed up for Setanta now I've got ML and AP games coming out of my ears.

But I want to see some good Aussie teams play and Uni fits the bill. As I said fairly recently: I wish we had 10 Sydney Unis in the country.

But back to the rugby: it was good to see Peter Kimlin play again. It was only from the bench, but he played well enough. The was a bit of hoo-ha about Uni scrummie Phipps going on the EOYT as a smokey. Seeing him today again: it wouldn't be the most outrageous idea. The boy can play. That new Uni flyhalf is good too. He'll play for the Wallabies one day; mark my words.

You'd think the commentators would look at the laws and especially the amendments. They quibbled about replacement Kelly kicking at goal until Papworth, of all people, set them to rights.

Earlier they questioned Dickinson allowing a player to keep his hands in the ruck after it had formed because he already had hands on when it was only a tackle. He was right and the commentators wrong. A ruling was made on the matter in May 2009 because the law was unclear.

They get things wrong every week, which is not the biggest problem in the world, but they get paid for talking about the laws and they should keep up to date. Maybe they should have a clinic with Gordon Bray.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
2 Drop Goals in a Club match? I just lost a little respect for Barnes. Chuck the ball around, you idiot.

So we are down to 5.

Woodies
Souths
Manly
Randwick.

If Randwick win tomorrow, They will play Eastwood and Uni Will play souths.
If Manly win tomorrow, they will play Souths and Uni will play Eastwood.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

You do understand how universities work, I assume? Not a lot of Doogie Howsers among the alumni, so by definition, in the past they tended to have players above the junior level. Should the club cease to exist because they have no juniors?

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Are finals again at the SFS this year? Good to keep it all grades at the same venue and a day to remember, especially for the lower graders.

Q

quasi-coach

Sydney Uni have had Juniors running since 2005 and in the last two years won the State Chmpioships in under 16's and 17's and made the final in under 15's. They now have junior devlopment programs which mirror their senior devlopment model, and you can winge all you like, but it is not what you do, but how you do it.
Ask yourself how many of the players taking the field for Easts were Easts Juniors - not many. At least all of uni's players whith the exception of Berrick banres came throught their colts program.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Does any one know why Matt To'omua wasn't replaced, as he looked as if he was struggling with injury....and Berrick Barnes was having a blinder.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd think the commentators would look at the laws and especially the amendments. They quibbled about replacement Kelly kicking at goal until Papworth, of all people, set them to rights.

Earlier they questioned Dickinson allowing a player to keep his hands in the ruck after it had formed because he already had hands on when it was only a tackle. He was right and the commentators wrong. A ruling was made on the matter in May 2009 because the law was unclear.

Just to clear something up...

The breakdown rules are different to last year...

Because the way you describe it the referee was possibly wrong?

Was the player going for the ball the tackler and if so did he release the player with the ball before going for the ball?

Also, Gordon Bray should've retired years ago.

He has trouble identifying players all the time.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
2 Drop Goals in a Club match? I just lost a little respect for Barnes. Chuck the ball around, you idiot.

Both were when there was nothing on, one they had a penalty advantage, the other when a rush defence had closed play down. "Chuck the ball around" stops in finals and test matches, at least in smart teams who build points, because the points builds pressure

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Does any one know why Matt To'omua wasn't replaced, as he looked as if he was struggling with injury....and Berrick Barnes was having a blinder.

The same with Dellitt - he was on one leg and should not have played. They probably should have gone with a fit debartolo and Damon Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.