• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Just to clear something up...

The breakdown rules are different to last year...

Because the way you describe it the referee was possibly wrong?

Was the player going for the ball the tackler and if so did he release the player with the ball before going for the ball?

In the situation Lee is describing, he is referring to an arriving player who legally gets his hands on the ball while it is still a tackle. When it becomes a ruck, he is allowed to continue using his hands as he got his hands on the ball while it is still a tackle as opposed to new arriving players who are not allowed to use their hands because a ruck has formed. This was a law clarficiation from the IRB unrelated to the 2010 S14 interpretations. Lee and Dickinson correct, commentators incorrect.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the situation Lee is describing, he is referring to an arriving player who legally gets his hands on the ball while it is still a tackle. When it becomes a ruck, he is allowed to continue using his hands as he got his hands on the ball while it is still a tackle as opposed to new arriving players who are not allowed to use their hands because a ruck has formed. This was a law clarficiation from the IRB unrelated to the 2010 S14 interpretations. Lee and Dickinson correct, commentators incorrect.

Cheers for the clarification.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The same with Dellitt - he was on one leg and should not have played. They probably should have gone with a fit debartolo and Damon Anderson.

Last game of the season, these guys would rather try play wounded than sit in the stands

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
They put a sign on the crossbar at Woollarah oval that says "Debar". Anyway the Wicks better get on the phone to Drew and KB (Kurtley Beale) ASAP if they want to have a chance.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
At least you get to watch the games. In Brisbane we lost coverage when the new ABC news channel was introduced.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
You do understand how universities work, I assume? Not a lot of Doogie Howsers among the alumni, so by definition, in the past they tended to have players above the junior level. Should the club cease to exist because they have no juniors?

There weren't any complaints in the early 90s when Uni were shithouse.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
go to abc.net.au/iview you can watch the televised games

Apparently there is a bar on people overseas accessing it. If true we have our national network, whose implicit charter would include promoting Australia, denying ex-pats and other rugby nuts the opportunity to watch games. There is no conceivable commercial reason for doing this. Or is it some inspired lunacy from Driver Avenue?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Most of Uni's depth is because of their quality colts recruiting, and that is recruiting from the private schools comp, not other local Junior comps.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sort of Shute Shield related, anyone else think Barnes should be staring 12 for the Wallabies over Giteau?

Undoubtedly he was playing in a superior team vs Easts, but he still showed how he got to the top. I hope he doesn't leave post-RWC as some people have been suggesting.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Most of Uni's depth is because of their quality colts recruiting, and that is recruiting from the private schools comp, not other local Junior comps.

You are aware that the majority of the private school boys have played club football before.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You are aware that the majority of the private school boys have played club football before.

Lots of 11/12 yros play club, a few continue trying to play club despite the difficulties after (if) they reach a private high school with Saturday sport. It has bugger all to do with loyalty 6 years later. The other clubs should get off their arses and just provide compelling reasons why they should play for their club

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I am certainly aware of that. I played club footy, even managed to play some junior rep in that area. At the same time I went almost every weekend to watch Sydney Uni where my uncle played and coached a bit, ended up being a ball-boy there. After school, I never even considered I had any loyalty to the rep team I played for - maybe to my original club, where I lived, but not the rep club that it fed to. I wanted to play at Uni.
My point is there are many pathways people may follow, and the notion that there is some tie to a district at age 11-12 that draws you back at age 19-20 is pretty fanciful. Really good players will look to where they get the best opportunity, many others will probably go where their mates are playing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Absolutely correct, if what you mean by Private Schools comps actually means schoolboy rep teams.
Uni are doing nothing wrong with their recruitment, but they do have a massive advantage over many of the poorer clubs.Their heavy concentration of former schoolboys stars is neither good for the stars who end up playing 2's, nor is it good for the overall strength of the Colts competition.
Maybe the points system should be tweaked so that the Club has a ceiling of points.Not just a restriction on how many stars can play in a particular match.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Lots of 11/12 yros play club, a few continue trying to play club despite the difficulties after (if) they reach a private high school with Saturday sport. It has bugger all to do with loyalty 6 years later. The other clubs should get off their arses and just provide compelling reasons why they should play for their club

Village rugby is played on SUNDAY'S.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)

I meant as teenagers. Anyway why does no province want Lala Lam? He and Jack were with the brumbies but have since been discarded. Jack to Waikato and Lala to nowhere.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Go the Wicks!!!!!!!

What a difference the return of three players made, 1. Kepu 2. Fonokofalfi and 8. Mowen. The scrum turned around from last week's shaming to really pressure Manly.

NSW could do a lot worse than have Kepu pack at 8 if he doesn't get a bench spot as a prop next year. That is assuming Palu again gets injured at some stage (which he always appears to). He never fails to break the line and has huge impact with his carrying. There can also be no doubt about his mobility and work rate.

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
You do understand how universities work, I assume? Not a lot of Doogie Howsers among the alumni, so by definition, in the past they tended to have players above the junior level. Should the club cease to exist because they have no juniors?

It is interesting to read of a number of people slagging Uni. The only one not currently in a S15 sqad - Trist - said in his speech after playing 150 grade games that he came from a Public School - Hurlstone and started playing when he left Kiama Juniors to go to Syd Uni. He went on to say that he has played 3rd Grade Colts, 2nd Colts, First Colts and then 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st grade. My point is that he wasn't promised anything and if that isn't playing because of the love for the club then I don't know what is.
On a sad note - real possibility that the little battler is out for his second grand final in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.