• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It is interesting to read of a number of people slagging Uni. The only one not currently in a S15 sqad - Trist - said in his speech after playing 150 grade games that he came from a Public School - Hurlstone and started playing when he left Kiama Juniors to go to Syd Uni. He went on to say that he has played 3rd Grade Colts, 2nd Colts, First Colts and then 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st grade. My point is that he wasn't promised anything and if that isn't playing because of the love for the club then I don't know what is.
On a sad note - real possibility that the little battler is out for his second grand final in a row.

Wow, that really touches the heartstrings. The point is not whether Uni is able to recruit and inspire loyalty amongst its playing strength. Clearly, it can and does. The question is, is the dominance that they are able, by one means or another, to achieve in the Shute Shield good for the game?

They produce absolutely nothing in terms of expanding the game beyond its current boundaries. My sister knows some of Nathan Trist's family, they live in Western Sydney. Wouldn't the game of rugby be better off if Nathan had played where he should be playing, for Parramatta, or even (gasp) for Penrith?

I go back a long time, to the days when Uni players went out into the community-based clubs after they graduated, and played for clubs like Parramatta. Hard to believe now, isn't it?

I suppose the advent of professionalism was bound to encourage selfishness amongst the players - sad, but true. But surely the stalwarts of Australia's first rugby club could do a bit more to advance the game than they are doing - all they are doing is feathering their own, self-satisfied, nests, to the detriment of the possible growth of the game. Not to mention the advancement of the Waratahs. Wouldn't it be better for some of these "stars" to be playing against each other every week, rather than coasting along on reserve grade?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Go the Wicks!!!!!!!

What a difference the return of three players made, 1. Kepu 2. Fonokofalfi and 8. Mowen. The scrum turned around from last week's shaming to really pressure Manly.

NSW could do a lot worse than have Kepu pack at 8 if he doesn't get a bench spot as a prop next year. That is assuming Palu again gets injured at some stage (which he always appears to). He never fails to break the line and has huge impact with his carrying. There can also be no doubt about his mobility and work rate.

I was surprised to see Kepu scrummage Fairbrother off the park

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I was surprised to see Kepu scrummage Fairbrother off the park

I was too FP, it was a very good performance by Kepu. I have also been very impressed by the work of Taukeiaho at THP. I hope he gets a S15 gig somewhere, his scrum and lineout work are top class and he is very mobile considering his work at THP.

I am very much looking forward to seeing how they match up against the Woodies next week.

After watching the Uni yesterday and Southern last week I think the Uni scrum could be under some very serious pressure next week also.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My sister knows some of Nathan Trist's family, they live in Western Sydney. Wouldn't the game of rugby be better off if Nathan had played where he should be playing, for Parramatta, or even (gasp) for Penrith?

I go back a long time, to the days when Uni players went out into the community-based clubs after they graduated, and played for clubs like Parramatta. Hard to believe now, isn't it?

I suppose the advent of professionalism was bound to encourage selfishness amongst the players - sad, but true. But surely the stalwarts of Australia's first rugby club could do a bit more to advance the game than they are doing - all they are doing is feathering their own, self-satisfied, nests, to the detriment of the possible growth of the game. Not to mention the advancement of the Waratahs. Wouldn't it be better for some of these "stars" to be playing against each other every week, rather than coasting along on reserve grade?
Why "should" Nathan Trist play for anyone in particular? I really don't get this attitude that players cannot choose to go wherever they want. You call it selfish, but if a player thinks they are a chance to get higher honours, and therefore a viable short term career from the sport, why not go where they think they'll get that chance? I wonder whether you harbour the same bile against Randwick, Gordon, Easts etc? When I left school, it was common knowledge that the better players were actively sought out by these clubs and the players went there, because they offered a better profile. Are they all off the hook now? They didn't chase spots at Uni, but Uni was not so successful then.
I agree having players at or below S14 / 15 level in 2nd grade makes little sense - I thought the points system was supposed to try to address that.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's disappointing that someone can put such a bitter and ugly twist on what for most people is a feel good story.

Here's a young bloke who didn't come from a privileged background; who started off in 3rd Colts and has battled his way up through every grade since. He is one of the most respected grade players in Sydney. Now, for the second year in a row he has suffered a major injury which will keep him sidelined for months and deny him the chance to play out the season.

What Nathan Trist has achieved is an absolute credit to him. We at Sydney Uni are proud that we have played a supporting role in assisting him to complete a physiotherapy degree and also with his current degree in medicine.

Someone who claims to know details of his family background derides him as selfish and "feathering [his] own, self-satisfied, nest, to the detriment of the possible growth of the game." Fair-minded people would applaud him for pulling himself up by his own bootstraps instead of insisting that "he should be playing, for Parramatta, or even (gasp) for Penrith".

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think that is the point cyclo, the points system has NOT adressed that. I have no problem with anyone starting in colts 3's & progressing over the years to eventually play in the 1's. congrats to him 150 is a nice milestone.
I do have a problem when Berrick comes down & walks into Uni, that is madness in my view.
The points system should be on a club level, not based on the run out team each week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think that is the point cyclo, the points system has NOT adressed that. I have no problem with anyone starting in colts 3's & progressing over the years to eventually play in the 1's. congrats to him 150 is a nice milestone.
I do have a problem when Berrick comes down & walks into Uni, that is madness in my view.
The points system should be on a club level, not based on the run out team each week.

Putting it on the club might be a good idea, I agree.
Barnes is a bit of an outlier though - how many Wallabies walk into town in his situation these days looking for a club. But I get what you're saying.
In reality, Barnes and others are not so much the problem, as they would play so few games each year anyway. It is probably more the stockpiling of S15 players, no?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Where would you have Barnes play? He would have walked intio any club.

Points system based on a club level in an interesting proposal, but probably would be unworkable.

Players would register with Subbies clubs, and be "loaned" to premier clubs when available like Drew Mitchell did with Randwick/Balmain.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Big bum,You are right Barnes would be welcome anywhere. But I wouldn't let him play where there are already a plethora of S14 players.
No loaning players either!
Why would points on a Club level be unworkable? They are allowed to register players up to a points level, then can no longer register any further players that accrue points.from that point on they will be just like Parra, Penrith etc etc

W

Welly Rugby

what was with cummins wearing skins? i thought they were banned from being worn in matches, and he looked a bit silly.

also, why was cummins in the wallaby squad? what does he actually do? never been impressed by him much.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Firstly Manly didn't play well enough to win and if they had, they wouldn't have won next weekend.
My question is this. Why were Randwick able to recruit a player that had according to the commentators been playing in the Queensland club comp? Surely Maninoa if this is the case should not have been eligible to play after his team up there had finished playing.
Your thoughts?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Firstly Manly didn't play well enough to win and if they had, they wouldn't have won next weekend.
My question is this. Why were Randwick able to recruit a player that had according to the commentators been playing in the Queensland club comp? Surely Maninoa if this is the case should not have been eligible to play after his team up there had finished playing.
Your thoughts?

Why not? As long as they are released by his Brisbane team (who had finished playing in that case), he can be registered, he doesn't become an indentured servant.

He got to make some money and gain a bit more experience.

Same goes for one of the Manly players, who was playing at Randwick at the start of the season, no one dies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Should be a good game at against Eastwood this week.

Randwick go from strength to strength
Rupert Guinness
September 20, 2010

Randwick 29 Manly 25

RANDWICK will field one of their strongest sides in years for their Shute Shield semi-final against Eastwood, with four top-tier Wallabies returning to their squad, including captain Rocky Elsom.

Second-rower Mark Chisholm, utility back Kurtley Beale and winger Drew Mitchell are also expected to return for the Gallopping Greens for their game on Saturday at Woollahra Oval.

Randwick coach Mark Giacheri dropped the bombshell yesterday after his side produced a huge upset by beating Manly 29-25 in their elimination semi-final at T.G Millner Field - just one week after the Marlins thumped Randwick 39-7 at Coogee Oval.

Meanwhile, in next Sunday's second semi-final, Sydney University will play Southern Districts at University Oval No.1 after their 42-17 victory over Eastern Suburbs at Coogee Oval on Saturday.

Randwick's playing stocks had already been boosted ahead of yesterday's clash with Manly. The Galloping Greens welcomed back five players - four of them forwards - from the side that lost to the Marlins the previous week, including loosehead prop Sekope Kepu, hooker John Fonokalafi, No.6 Seilala Lam, No.8 Ben Mowen. The fifth player was Wallabies Tri Nations tourist and outside back Nick Cummins.

''Credit to Manly. They have been the form team all year and have had the best forward pack all year,'' Giacheri said. ''Our blokes coming in were a bit fresher. They [Manly] gave it all last week and our guys - Super 14 [level] players - came back fresher to negate their strength. At the end of the day our forwards got on top, which was key for the turnaround. Last week we just got belted up front.''

Giacheri is looking forward to injecting four Wallabies into his side next weekend.

''We would have liked to have had them [yesterday] … we will just weigh up the team selections and see what fits,'' Giacheri said.

Randwick half-back and captain Patrick Phibbs believes the impact of the four Wallabies will be profound. Citing the impact of Berrick Barnes for Sydney University in their win over Easts on Saturday, Phibbs said: ''It's always a positive having a bit of depth in your squad and going off Sydney University and how they played having Berrick back, they are players who can make a difference.''

However, Randwick would not be on the cusp of a grand final berth were it not for the players who got them into Saturday's semi-final.

Five of them originated from second grade, and most of them will drop back for their Colin Caird Shield semi-final against Southern Districts on Saturday.

Giacheri also praised Phibbs for his role in Randwick's victory over Manly, whose loss came despite scoring three tries to two.

"There were a couple of key plays where we were under the pump and [Phibbs] was able to kick through, chase and put the pressure back on them," Giacheri said

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Why not? As long as they are released by his Brisbane team (who had finished playing in that case), he can be registered, he doesn't become an indentured servant.

He got to make some money and gain a bit more experience.

Same goes for one of the Manly players, who was playing at Randwick at the start of the season, no one dies.

I wouldn't have thought that Meyers transfer was in the same boat.

S

Sydney Wallabies

Can someone please explain how the NSWRU allocates the grounds for the finals.

I am absolutely livid that Souths have to play University at University Oval this Sunday.

We finished higher than the bloody Students and we play this weekend's preliminary final at Uni Oval.

It really should've been played at Concord Oval or even at Forshaw Park where we got a huge crowd for the game last weekend.

This seems to be a premeditated plan to ensure University and their vast array of rep stars win the Shute Shield again.

It's a disgrace.

wilbur

Frank Row (1)
Can someone please explain how the NSWRU allocates the grounds for the finals.

Its done on a commercial tender. The way its worked out is just good (or bad) luck

however, there is an agreement not to give a team a home ground advantage..where possible... so lets see how the negotiations work out today

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Your thoughts?

The Juniors have a rule that to be eligible for the finals series, a player must have played a minimum of 5 games for the team of which 1 game must be before June 30, and they must have played 4 of the last 5 competition games. There is provision for concessions for kids who have moved interstate and internationally, or been unavailable for medical or family reasons for whatever reason, on a case by case basis.

This move prevents cynical manipulation of the finals series by imported rockstars. Seems fair to me in principle.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wouldn't have thought that Meyers transfer was in the same boat.

Ok ............ so when is a Transfer acceptable, if someone signs up for the year for a club, how long before it is unacceptable to transfer and why? and when does the club lose their "rights" over that player?

Status
Not open for further replies.