• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Re: 2010 NSW Club Rugby

Lee Grant said:
Beau Robinson has been released from his contract in Italy...

Michael Lipman is returning to the Rats after playing in lesser teams overseas.

So those drp Rats have taken to raiding poor Italian teams along with Bath. How low can they go?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Lee Grant said:
Beau Robinson has been released from his contract in Italy on compassionate grounds after the recent tragic death of his brother. He's back in Bathurst but he will be in Sydney soon for the Shute Shield. The Rats have fixed up a job for him. He was hopeful of being picked up by the new Super team before he left and would be a good choice.

Some positive news from a tragic situation.

Lee Grant said:
Michael Lipman is returning to the Rats after playing in lesser teams overseas. He was cleared to play in the trial game last week against Gordon and apparently had a blinder. He still hasn't been cleared by the ARU to be picked up by the Rebels.

Show your true colours Lee!! Good friend of mine is a life long Bath supporter and they were sad to loose him.

By the way, the Northern Beaches filth are due to play my lot in a couple of weeks time in Golden Oldies. Tough start to the season!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Lindommer said:
Lee Grant said:
Beau Robinson has been released from his contract in Italy...

Michael Lipman is returning to the Rats after playing in lesser teams overseas.

So those drp Rats have taken to raiding poor Italian teams along with Bath. How low can they go?
Geez, they're almost as bad as those plundering Vikings of Broadway, eh Lindo?

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)

Can anyone give me a 2010 table order prediction?
Other than Uni 1st & Parra last I am uninformed.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

DPK said:
This isnt really the place for this comment, but does anyone else find it really weird when you pack down at 2nd row before the props crouch and youre looking the opposition 2nd rower right in the face? Sorta happens at flanker, i just find it really akward :lmao:

2nd rowers are whingers, mine always complained that they had to stick their heads and shoulders underneath my big fat arse, i told them to harden the f up

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

RugbyFuture said:
2nd rowers are whingers, mine always complained that they had to stick their heads and shoulders underneath my big fat arse, i told them to harden the f up

Should have just told them there was more padding for the pushing.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Got a prop dunked on my head the only time i played a full game a second row. I imagined it would have looked like john smit vs fatcat in brisvegas, but ive been told it was much less dramatic.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

If you're a second rower and you're busy checking out the opposition instead of waiting to launch me into the other bloke, then you'd better go play for Convicts.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)

Refabit said:

Haven't had any responses. Thought you Sydney chaps would be all over this.

C

CanadianRugby

DPK said:
This isnt really the place for this comment, but does anyone else find it really weird when you pack down at 2nd row before the props crouch and youre looking the opposition 2nd rower right in the face? Sorta happens at flanker, i just find it really akward :lmao:

Actually........yes. At least props get the violence of the collusion to make it seem many, and flankers can pretend they aren't really part of the scrum anyway. 2nd row scrumming is just awkward.

I always tell myself, "it will only hurt for a minute" :nta:

Cyril Towers (30)

Refabit said:
Refabit said:

I think it's going to be a different year.
Uni will struggle at the start of the season because of the number of players in S14 franchises. And with 3 of the 4 Aus teams going well enough to be semi final contenders, this could mean they miss out on a lot of players for 8-9 weeks. I think they will lose some matches in that time. Also the Aus Sevens and Aus A games this year might take a few of their players. The number of games Halangahu plays is the key to their season. They will come home strongly, but might be giving some others a start. Randwick will be good, but have lost a couple of good players.
Easts have recruited well and have a good coach. They were good last year, they will be better this year.
Manly will be good, especially if George Smith plays with them after S14. They are a different side with him and Palu
Eastwood will be up there.
Souths will be the big improvers.
Warringah seem to have recruited well and will be contenders
West Harbour will be hot and cold, as usual.
Norths. Don’t know, but they knocked Uni in a trial the other day and will be able to get a few wins against some good sides
Penrith will get a couple of wins
Parra will struggle but will hopefully get a few players on loan and might cause an upset or two.

Table:
Easts
Uni
Manly
Souths
Randwick
Warringah
Eastwood
West Harbour
Norths
Penrith
Parra

Cyril Towers (30)

That's my predictions for table at end of home and away season only.
Uni will beat Easts in the GF.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Ahem :angryfire:

Appear to be missing a certain team there. I think you'll find they should be there just above Easts (in my dreams) but probably more likely between the Rats and the Woodies.

I would also have Souths between Eastwood and West Harbour. I know that Souths are up and coming and have recruited well - but I dont think they have upped and come that much just yet.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

topo said:
Refabit said:
Refabit said:

I think it's going to be a different year.
Uni will struggle at the start of the season because of the number of players in S14 franchises. And with 3 of the 4 Aus teams going well enough to be semi final contenders, this could mean they miss out on a lot of players for 8-9 weeks. I think they will lose some matches in that time. Also the Aus Sevens and Aus A games this year might take a few of their players. The number of games Halangahu plays is the key to their season. They will come home strongly, but might be giving some others a start. Randwick will be good, but have lost a couple of good players.
Easts have recruited well and have a good coach. They were good last year, they will be better this year.
Manly will be good, especially if George Smith plays with them after S14. They are a different side with him and Palu
Eastwood will be up there.
Souths will be the big improvers.
Warringah seem to have recruited well and will be contenders
West Harbour will be hot and cold, as usual.
Norths. Don’t know, but they knocked Uni in a trial the other day and will be able to get a few wins against some good sides
Penrith will get a couple of wins
Parra will struggle but will hopefully get a few players on loan and might cause an upset or two.

Table:
Easts
Uni
Manly
Souths
Randwick
Warringah
Eastwood
West Harbour
Norths
Penrith
Parra
What's happened to Gordon?

Cyril Towers (30)

oh, OK. Put 'em between Penrith and Parra if you must.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)

Uni are once again red hot favourites, I'd suggest the rest of the teams fall into the following groups.

Legitimate threats to Uni:
Randwick
Easts

Finals Contenders:
Gordon
The Rats
Eastwood
Manly
West Harbour

Capable of Upsets on their day:
Souths
Norths

Cellar Dwellers:
Penrith
Parramatta

People have mentioned Souths as potential improvers but I have my doubts - they have recruited well but by all accounts their training sessions are disorganised and unproductive. Paulie Tuala and Billy Ratu got so fed up they returned to Gordon.

Topo - you mentioned Easts had recruited well, I've heard they have got Breddon McKibbon and Ofa, any other significant ones?

I'm getting more and more confident about Gordon as the season gets closer. Key signings are Travis Church (former NZ under 19 prop), Lawrence Marsh (Prop but out with a broken arm for 10-12 weeks), Sean Morrell (Flanker with one test for Fiji), Mike Hercus and Corey Brown. The only major loss being Ofa to Easts. The great thing about preseason this year has been the competition for places which wasn't there under Lachie Fear. Lachie became too close to a lot of the players and hence their spots were never in doubt. A few regular first grade names are now finding themselves in the lower grades under Ross Hopkins and are having to work to make it back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Can't say that I have ever been a good judge of who is going to do well or not in the Sydney comp as compared to the previous year - or the Super14 for that matter. I'm the world's worst tipster.

But one thing I have always known: if you are to beat Sydney Uni you have to do it by the end of May.

Cyril Towers (30)

No, I don't have any hard info about Easts signings, thatguy, just blowing out my date as usual. I thought Lachie Fear had brought a few more over from Gordon apart from Ofa, and I think McKibbin is an excellent acquisition. If Gordon have recruited as well as you say, they may be more of a threat than I gave them credit for (which wasn't much as I inadvertantly left them out in my first post!).
Is Lawrence Marsh the pom who played LHP for Easts last year? If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was pretty good at scrum time and would be a good replacement for Ofa.
I am a diehard Uni supporter but I think the field (or at least part of it) is catching up to them and they are partially a victim of their own success, with so many players unavailable for a large chunk of the season. They will struggle until the S14 is over and their unbeaten home ground record which goes back to 2007 IIRR will be under a big threat from Randwick in round one. It will be a good test for the younger players and will really test the depth.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Are we talking about Mike Hercus, the US Eagle Fly-half? Interesting signing. He's quite old these days (31 I believe) but bags of experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the 1st grade #10 jersey, him or Josh Kiel.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

TheRiddler said:
Are we talking about Mike Hercus, the US Eagle Fly-half? Interesting signing. He's quite old these days (31 I believe) but bags of experience. Will be interesting to see who gets the 1st grade #10 jersey, him or Josh Kiel.

Yeah, played for Gold Coast last season in QLD Premier Rugby...

He is an ex Gordon junior I am pretty sure and ex Shore boy/Australian Schoolboy..

Status
Not open for further replies.