• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Re: 2010 NSW Club Rugby

DPK - here is the Shute Shield link:

http://www.clubrugby.com.au/teams-shute-shield/ As Noddy posted: the TV game is Eastwood v Rats.

Others have made some of the remarks I am about to make but I blame lunch for being a tardy poster. I'll include everything anyway.

Rats: As others have mentioned: 6. Beau Robinson is back for the Rats. 11 Ed Doyle is back too from a broken leg and I look forward to seeing him finish a few tries this year that we couldn't without him in 2009. He was one of my Melbourne alternates. As I mentioned earlier in the thread:7. Michael Lipman is back at the Rats also, after playing for such dud teams like England.

Eastwood: Have a look at 2008 Oz Schools captain 11. Cameron Mitchell, who is really a 13 in the TV game. He was injured most of last year and can play. Have another look at his good mate 13. Tim Bennetts too. Mitchell is in the amateur Tahs Academy and Bennetts in the professionals These fellows could be elevated by some squad in 2011. Both were on my Melbourne alternates list.

Southern Districts: Is 11. Nicky Price the gun 2008 schools winger who I gave big wraps to but looked like a fizzer when he came back from the AFL where he spent 2009? If so, I'd like to have a look at him sometime this year. It will be good to have a look at ex-league player and Oz 7s star 12. Brackin Karauria-Henry to see how he plays with 14 other blokes instead of 6. 15 Marshall Milroy is a good get for Southerns. He's another LG Melbourne alternate.

Manly: The gun 2008 Oz Schools LHP 1. Salesi Manu played a bit of 1st Grade from the bench last year and looked OK. He was in the Tahs amateur academy in 2009 too so let's see if he is up to the senior game on a regular basis. If he's any good that will be a top front row. 4. Greg Peterson, the Vickerman type lock at the schools level last year and in the 2010 Tahs pro academy, goes right into the Blue Filth Ones. Good luck son. There will be a few scouts looking at young 10. Ben Seymour for a pro academy spot. He plays beyond his years and is in the Tahs amateur academy now. Looks like Josh Gamgee moved to Southerns because of him.

Sydney University: Anybody know anything about 10. Justin Bosilkovski? I know he has been in their Colts programme but is he any good?

Randwick: I see they have 13. Gene Fairbanks playing for them. I bet the Rebels scouts will be at the game to look at a few players. It could be last chance saloon for Gene.

Penrith: Good to see 11. Leon Bott has moved out west from Manly.

Easts: Didn't know that the Beasts had poached 4. Phil Mathers from Eastwood. Let's hope they put a bit of starch into him. A shame for Gordon that 1. Ofa defected. He's on my main list for Melbourne.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Lee Grant said:
A shame for Gordon that 1. Ofa defected. He's on my main list for Melbourne.

Surely Melbourne are saucing him. Has anyone heard anything on this subject?

634061763455630000.jpg

Burgess is a Uni man? Really?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

fatprop said:
Mitchell looks good in his Balmain gear

So what's the deal with him going to Balmain? Are they trying to get promoted to the Shute Shield?

I know he has said if he plays club he will be "loaned" to Randwick but seriously if Mitchell wanted to buck the signing trend why not sign for Parra or Penrith? He would do more good for the wider rugby community there.

I don't get this at all.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

im also very confused by the balmain jersey, if balmain are trying to get promoted then they should forget it, theres already 3-4 clubs in the direct surrounding area, and then theres drummoyne who have a strong div team and a very inclusive history

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)

[/quote]

Not sure about that Uni jersey - I think he's wearing a turncoat.

McKibbin has twice the heart anyway.

Cyril Towers (30)

Burgess played Colts at Uni before he lost his way for a couple of years and went to the club tacked onto a golf course. He returned to his rightful home last year.
Bosilkovski played mostly 2nds at Uni last year either at 10 and sometimes 15. He's OK on his day.
I didn't realise Nio Halangahu was back either. Last I heard he was going to Ireland to play and was stranded on 99 first grade games for Randwick.
Be interested to see how Pauliasi goes at Easts. He has been in Japan for a couple of years but might be back to try to impress the Rebels. Another poach from Uni.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Balmain trying to get promoted? Nope. They are one of the better clubs in div 3 of Subbies, but there's a huge gulf between Balmain and any div 1 Subbies club. Mitchell and Balmain is little more than a promotional coup for the club. No doubt someone at Balmain was friends with Mitchell (that's the story I heard, anyway). Mitchell promised to also attend the odd training session as a coach, too.

Not sure why Burgess is being queried now; he's been with Syd Uni for a few years as far as I am aware.

BTW, promotion from Subbies is virtually impossible since they stopped promotion / relegation from Premier division (Shute shield, Tooheys New Cup, etc) to 1st div, 2nd div, etc (Subbies) years ago and will never happen. I heard the old story that Premier division clubs ganged up and got promotion / relegation canned due to them wanting surety that they'd still be in the top division so as to guarantee club sponsors, etc for seasons ahead, especially when some/lots of those players are semi-professional. Being a Premiership club can be expensive business. No doubt Bruce could tell a story or two about it or explain it better than me, as I am just repeating hearsay.

Drummoyne? The Dirty Reds are pretty hated as a Subbies club. Stems from having plenty of rich club sponsors and buying a first grade team whilst neglecting their lower grades. It used to be a common sight to see Drummoyne beaten (or sometimes flogged) in most grades but the Dirty Reds 1sts handing out a hiding.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

Great to see that Jared Barry has been given the starting #5 for Gordon. Going to their season opening bash this evening. Will see how the boys are looking. Whats happened to Kingsley Seale?

Love the way the two Gordon jerseys shine out in the team photo and how they out Thompson in front of Palmer. That'll teach him for defecting.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Which clubs have no representation in the Waratahs picture above? Penrith?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)

http://www.gordonrugby.com/web/pageid/372

Gordon's grade teams - Some pretty handy players in that 2nd grade side Kingsley Seale one of them as mentioned, Corey Brown as well.

But wait for it, Al Manning is back and wearing the colours of the Highlander again in third grade, very handy signing for a lower grade side!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

DPK said:

Penrith are the only ones missing, but easts, west harbour and parramatta only feature once, six uni players and five eastwood players

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Refabit said:

Luke joined Uni after leaving school and played Colts for them before having one season (2008?) with Easts. He comes from the Hunter coalfields, so those thieving bastards from Broadway can't be accused of pinching him. In this instance.

There again, I suppose they did pinch him from Easts. Old habits die hard.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Lindommer said:
Refabit said:

Luke joined Uni after leaving school and played Colts for them before having one season (2008?) with Easts. He comes from the Hunter coalfields, so those thieving bastards from Broadway can't be accused of pinching him. In this instance.

There again, I suppose they did pinch him from Easts. Old habits die hard.

I really don't know what to make of this. Lindommer coming to the defence of Uni - sort of.

"Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth."

By the way, I think Luke played at least two seasons with Easts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

RugbyFuture said:
DPK said:

Penrith are the only ones missing, but easts, west harbour and parramatta only feature once, six uni players and five eastwood players
Hmm, my photo shows 9 from Uni and 4 from Eastwood? Do I need to get my monitor fixed? ;)

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

The MC for the Gordon launch tonight was Al Baxter! A Norths player running a Gordon gig. Who would have thought it? Actually, he was there in his role as an Audi ambassador with the local Audi franchise being a new club sponsor. Took great delight in reliving his 100m try. Junior Pearce was also there (not really sure why) as was Australia's entry in the Miss Universe competition - prrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Dud and Alcock were also there wearing their Waratahs tops. One seems to be a more natural, comfortable fit and will probably be worn a lot more than the other ;) Jared also looking very strong and fit - he's dropped 10kgs in the off season.

I am now genuinely pumped about the start of the Shute Shield season. Shame I have two weeks of sailing left though - but Golden Oldies also kicks off on Sunday with a local rivalry game against Warringah.

Bring it all on.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

TheRiddler said:
Junior Pearce was also there (not really sure why)

Junior Pearce worked a minor miracle as a short-term tackling coach for the Wallabies in the 1990s. We should be grateful to him. I hope he has retained some interest in the game.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

cyclopath said:
RugbyFuture said:
DPK said:

Hmm, my photo shows 9 from Uni and 4 from Eastwood? Do I need to get my monitor fixed? ;)

well...thats why i failed maths in first year hahaha

full (re-evaluated) list

Eastern Suburbs-1
Eastwood-4
Gordon-2
Manly-2
Northern Suburbs-2
Parramatta-1
Penrith-0
Randwick-3
Southern Districts-3
Sydney University-9