• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
There going great guns this young University side, tough call at the end I think but many of these boys are not far away from S15 contracts.
I particularly like the look of the front row. Aldy King went really well against Eddie Aholelei, who is no slouch and it's hard to believe that Sam Talakai is only 19. Great shame to see Benny Roberts go down with what looks like a serious knee injury. He really should have a contract by now. No tougher player in the comp. When he went down with what looked like an ACL tear, he tried to get up and keep going straight away, as if he couldn't believe injury was possible. Hodge in the centres is already a 7s player and looks very classy. Rokobaro on the wing is quick and skilful and i think is in the Rebels wider training group. Jono Jenkins already has a contract, of course, but showed yesterday how good a player he is. The other one who is has shown a lot of potential this year is Hickey, the no 7, who was absent yesterday. Still only 18 and able to mix it with the big boys.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Next weekend the Sydney vs Country game is on ABC at 3:00pm (it's a wet weather round, isn't it?). Should be good to see who plays in each team.

D

DEER HUNTER

Respectfully, I'm going to disagree. No doubt Hickey played a very physical, confrontational, niggly, in-your-face, dog-shot style of footy on Saturday... but having seen him come through the system at Joeys, I am aware that he can also be skillful, technical and an outstanding leader.

My gut feeling is that the coaching staff at Uni have recognised the forward pack at the moment is very young, and they have provided Dave with a specific role description - to be the 'intimidator'. Even the Syd Uni match reports, which are posted on their website, have referred to Hickey as a 'cage-fighter' on several occasions this season. The battle between him and Timmy McGann was pretty heavy. Hickey was high-fived & back-slapped by a few members of the Uni coaching staff when he left the field following the red card.

The Wicks old heads went out on Sat to 'bully' the young Uni pigs, but to their credit, the Uni crew stood up and refused to be daunted. I thought they were impressive.
I watched Hickey play at joeys and he was a dirty player there too. I'm all for tough uncomprimising rugby with a bit of niggle, but he's just a grub.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great shame to see Benny Roberts go down with what looks like a serious knee injury. He really should have a contract by now. No tougher player in the comp. When he went down with what looked like an ACL tear, he tried to get up and keep going straight away, as if he couldn't believe injury was possible.

It turns out Benny's injury was to his ankle, topo. Talking to him afterwards he seemed to think it would soon come good but that depends on an MRI tomorrow. Hopefully it's not the dreaded syndesmosis.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I watched Hickey play at joeys and he was a dirty player there too. I'm all for tough uncomprimising rugby with a bit of niggle, but he's just a grub.

If I was a 7, personally the ultimate compliment to my game would be getting called a grub.

Reactions: DPK

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Next weekend the Sydney vs Country game is on ABC at 3:00pm (it's a wet weather round, isn't it?). Should be good to see who plays in each team.

yes a wet weather round! where is that game being played? At Coogee???

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good game yesterday between Manly and Uni, though I thought the Marlins were a little fortunate to get away with the win. There were a couple of times when they could have taken points and didn't, which very nearly bit them in the arse. Good win for them though. The Uni pack is good isn't it! I've hardly heard of any of those guys and they've really stepped up. I guess it goes to show that you have second or third string players and still make them a good unit with a good system, which clearly Uni have.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
There going great guns this young University side, tough call at the end I think but many of these boys are not far away from S15 contracts.

I dont understand how it was a tough call. Firstly he was short of the line and secondly Lui Siale's hand was under the ball. The tough call was earlier when Uni were not penalised for a blatant obstruction which saw Metuisela taken out. They should have been penalised and Manly would have kept the ball till the siren one minute later.
Yes Uni's no names are playing very well at the moment but lets not forget how inexperienced that Marlins team was as well. Harry Bergelin, James Hilterbrand and Peter Gilmore were in their run on debut, and Damian Reti, Jack Rowntree and Richard Hooper haven't played many either. It was a good afternoon at Manly with them winning 1sts, 2nds and comfortably beating the chosen ones in 1sts colts.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Penrith beat Eastwood in 2nds. A great result as Eastwood are top of the table. They move to 8th on the table. In firsts they were not embarrased either going down 40 to 24.
Hopefully a revival is occuring.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Penrith beat Eastwood in 2nds. A great result as Eastwood are top of the table. They move to 8th on the table. In firsts they were not embarrased either going down 40 to 24.
Hopefully a revival is occuring.

Yeh thats a huge result in 2's, good on them!

W

waves

I dont understand how it was a tough call. Firstly he was short of the line and secondly Lui Siale's hand was under the ball. The tough call was earlier when Uni were not penalised for a blatant obstruction which saw Metuisela taken out. They should have been penalised and Manly would have kept the ball till the siren one minute later.
Yes Uni's no names are playing very well at the moment but lets not forget how inexperienced that Marlins team was as well. Harry Bergelin, James Hilterbrand and Peter Gilmore were in their run on debut, and Damian Reti, Jack Rowntree and Richard Hooper haven't played many either. It was a good afternoon at Manly with them winning 1sts, 2nds and comfortably beating the chosen ones in 1sts colts.

Bergelin, Hilterbrand and Gilmour played well not taking anything away from that although I dont think Reti stood out against Rokobaro likewise Rowntree and Hooper played limited minutes Rowntree 40mins - Hooper last 5 if that. I havn't follwed Manly weekly and im not saying there bad players at all but collectively Sydney University youngsters deserve a mention after previous season where before their superstars come back they struggle during the first couple rounds.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
HOw many guys are Uni getting back?
Did they get many of the 7's blokes???
I see VanDerGlas was on the bench for the ACT Brumbies

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Trying to make up a team of Uni players yet to return:

1. Paddy Ryan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Dan Vickerman
5. Dean Mumm
6. Pat McCutcheon
7. Phil Waugh
8. Tim Davidson
9. Luke Burgess
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Tom Carter
13. Mitch Inman
14. Peter Betham
15. Daniel Halangahu

Add to that Nick Phipps, plus a few others I have surely forgotten.

Not a bad side.

H

high tower

Bergelin, Hilterbrand and Gilmour played well not taking anything away from that although I dont think Reti stood out against Rokobaro likewise Rowntree and Hooper played limited minutes Rowntree 40mins - Hooper last 5 if that. I havn't follwed Manly weekly and im not saying there bad players at all but collectively Sydney University youngsters deserve a mention after previous season where before their superstars come back they struggle during the first couple rounds.

Not sure why the Uni youngsters deserved another mention, the ABC commentary team didn't shut up about how young they were all game.
They were great at the breakdown in particular when they turned over plenty of Manly ball, but they were woeful in Manlys 22 and failed to convert a mountain of possession into any significant points. The fact that Bergerlin, Gilmour and Rowntree are u/20, and Kotoni is barely 21 was not noted by Papworth and co. other than to point out the family connection with Old Bernie Bergerlin, which the young bloke brushed off pretty quick @ half time. These guys all played significant roles in keeping Uni @ bay and showed plenty with ball in hand
Manly has also played Greg Petersen, Luke Jones, Bj hartman and Jacob Woodhouse in most 1st grade games, they are all u/20.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Here is the country team for what its worth....
A couple of Sydney 1st graders in there too, Toby Browne, Nic White & Sam Carter.

The Country Gold Team to play Sydney is:

No. / Position Player Zone Club
1. L / H Prop James SMITH Illawarra Northern Suburbs
2. Hooker Anthony ALLPORT Illawarra Woonona Shamrocks
3. T / H Prop Duncan CHUBB Mid North Coast Southern Districts
4. L / Lock Sam CARTER Central North Sydney University
5. R / Lock Ben MATWIJOW Newcastle Hunter Northern Suburbs
6. B / Flank Jeff WILSON Far North Coast Lennox Head
7. O / Flank Alex BURNHEIM Western Plains Coonamble
8. Eightman Lachlan BROWN Central North Walcha
9. Scrumhalf Nic WHITE Newcastle Hunter Eastwood
10. Flyhalf Toby BROWNE Central West Randwick