• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
One of the best days in a while at Chatswood yesterday. While the lower grade results weren't what we hoped 1st grade came back from 24-0 down then lead 29-24. Norths scored and converted just before the bell to lead 31-29. It was a controversial try with 2 Gordon defenders running into the ref as they were about to make the tackle.

Then Norths strangely took the option of a penalty goal from 45-50 out with seconds to go. The kick missed short and wide, the bell went. Gordon ran it down the left flank and secured a penalty of their own 2 minutes after the bell, 43 metres out in front.

Young local Henry Carmichael, wearing his Shore school socks, stepped and and knocked the goal over for the Gordon win. 32-31. Madness ensues. Good times and a great result for Ladies Day.

Congratulations Gibbo!
Probably significantly lessened the pain of the Wallabies defeat a few hours afterwards, assuming you were sober enough to watch it!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Thanks Wamberal, lots has already been said about that and the club is well and truly on the right path to retaining plenty of our juniors.

Important to note that we announced on Friday that Tony Dempsey, former Wallaby and Waratah and Gordon 160 gamer will coach Gordon 1st Grade Colts in 2014

Well done too to Scotty and Kav for their efforts over the last year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I wonder what has happened at Norths
They spent a fortune 2 seasons ago on players and are struggling.

Gordon's responsible management could pay dividends in the next season as a result of this. Half the battle is winning back the North Shore and Gordon are on the way again as Norths realise you can't buy continued success.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Shute Shield Round 13B – Saturday July 13

Warringah v Sydney University @ Pittwater Rugby Park (3pm, ABC TV game)

Warringah: 1 Richard Southan, 2 Rob Kelly, 3 Wayne Borsak, 4 Vincent Wright, 5 Ben Adams, 6 Sam Ward, 7 Mark Porpiglia, 8 Boyd Killingworth, 9 Joshua Holmes, 10 David Harvey, 11 Brad Dixon, 12 Hamish Angus, 13 Michael Adams, 14 Edward Doyle, 15 David Feltscheer (c)

Sydney University: 1 Alasdair King, 2 James Willan, 3 Sam Talakai, 4 Sam Jefferies, 5 Liam Winton, 6 Tom Boidin (c), 7 Stuart Goodman, 8 Hugo Dessens, 9 Jock Merriman, 10 Stephano Hunt, 11 Greg Jeloudev, 12 James Dargaville, 13 Jim Stewart, 14 Nathan Trist, 15 Stuart Dunbar

Referee: William Houston

Penrith v Southern Districts @ Nepean Rugby Park (3pm)

Penrith: 1 Heath Toon, 2 Kerren Straker (c), 3 Nigel Vaifale, 4 Willie Tooala, 5 Sione Pusiaki Fifita, 6 Vai Sosaiete, 7 Pita Tupou, 8 Leo Burgess, 9 Solomona Silipa, 10 Wilson Silipa, 11 Paula Katoa, 12 Henry Lilomaiava, 13 Paueli Halafihi, 14 John Maumau, 15 Lachlan Fox

Southern Districts: 1 Duncan Chubb, 2 Steve Fualau, 3 Tim Metcher, 4 Andrew Leota, 5 Luke Smart, 6 Lopeti Timani, 7 Jono Hayes (c), 8 Dan Faleafa, 9 Grayson Hart, 10 Rohan Saifoloi, 11 Alex Gibbon, 12 Rayhan Laulala, 13 Faleula Finau, 14 Ollie Ngungutau, 15 Paul Asquith

Referee: Michael Hogan

Eastern Suburbs v Randwick @ Woolahra Oval (3pm)

Eastern Suburbs: 1 Sione Kolo, 2 Alex Walker, 3 Rob McMickan, 4 Richard Stanford, 5 Phil Mathers, 6 Pauliasi Taumoepeau (c), 7 Ryan Hodson, 8 Andrew Shaw, 9 Luke Irwin, 10 Henry Hudson, 11 Damon Anderson, 12 Will; Fay, 13 Mark Murray, 14 Anton Lavin, 15 James Devlin

Randwick: Randwick: 1 Faitotoa Asa, 2 Nio Halangahu, 3 Tristan Goodbody, 4 Geoff Ingram, 5 William Munro, 6 Seilala Lam (c), 7 Tom Connor, 8 Nathan Paila, 9 Harrison Boileau, 10 David Horwitz, 11 Ethan Ford, 12 Pete Samu, 13 Terrence Hepetema, 14 Timothy Wright, 15 Rennie Lautolo.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Beasts by 6-12

Hobbits by 25+

Students by 15-25
Isn't 13. Jim Stewart for the Students a ex-Rat Junior?

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
Beasts by 6-12

Hobbits by 25+

Students by 15-25
Isn't 13. Jim Stewart for the Students a ex-Rat Junior?
Yes

Scott Grayson

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks Wamberal, lots has already been said about that and the club is well and truly on the right path to retaining plenty of our juniors.

Important to note that we announced on Friday that Tony Dempsey, former Wallaby and Waratah and Gordon 160 gamer will coach Gordon 1st Grade Colts in 2014

Well done too to Scotty and Kav for their efforts over the last year.
Thanks Gibbo, there are quite few good colts moving up to grade and the signs are good for juniors joining colts next year

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Scoreboard confirms that he Emus need some help to be competitive.

Rugby does need a presence in Sydney's Outer West.

Some will say that NSWRU and ARU have been trying to help the Emus for many years, and the "experiment" has been a failure and that it is time to cut them loose from the Shute Shield.

Out of interest, will someone closer to the action please outline precisely what the ARU and NSW RU (and SRU) has done over the years to help this club become competitive and grow.

The other Shute Shield Clubs seem to have done their bit to help this club to thrive and prosper by encouraging any Emu players who show talent to jump ship. Clearly this has been done with the best interests of the Emus at heart.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The other Shute Shield Clubs seem to have done their bit to help this club to thrive and prosper by encouraging any Emu players who show talent to jump ship. Clearly this has been done with the best interests of the Emus at heart.

Well, Hugh, the rich get richer.........and there's only one, maybe two, clubs who are rich. As for the rest, they can eat cake. Stale cake from the rubbish bin.

Now that the Soup is over, the Camperdown Pigsty will once again host the star studded teams who will resume their self-ordained march to glory, probably in all four grades, and three colts as well, leaving the rest of the competition in their wake.

Talking about Penriff, wouldn't it have been a nice gesture if Izzy's Shute Shield paymasters had offered his services to the Outer West? He could still have trained at their taxpayer funded facilities, if he wanted to, but an appearance or two on a Saturday afternoon in Sydney's demographic centre and the 50% of the population that lies to the west of it, would have been great for the game.

But who gives a fark about the health of the game? All that counts is getting those trophies back to their rightful home. The home of the rich, powerful, and well-connected. Your taxes at work.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Some will say that NSWRU and ARU have been trying to help the Emus for many years, and the "experiment" has been a failure and that it is time to cut them loose from the Shute Shield.

Out of interest, will someone closer to the action please outline precisely what the ARU and NSW RU (and SRU) has done over the years to help this club become competitive and grow.

Should they survive though, has their presence over the last 15+ years increased the numbers out west?
What has the ARU, NSWRU really invested in the Shute in general, the strong clubs have made use of their resources to achieve their position.
The mooted 3T has been discussed in many threads previously, I think investing money into developing the Shute to achieve the 3T would be more beneficial than tipping money into the Emus?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have to say I agree with some of the things Wamberal has said. I think about 3/4 of the Waratahs side is enough to guarantee SU another Premiership, but hopefully the Woodies can take out the Shute Shield this year. Izzy doesn't need to be at SU. His presence at Penrith or even the 2 Blues would be fantastic. I think the NSWRU needs to wake up a bit here. If you look at the Rugby League, a lot of their development and money is going into the Western regions of Sydney. Hopefully common sense prevails and Rugby Union capitalises on the gold mine that is Western Sydney. Finally, anyone but Uni going into the finals.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Should they survive though, has their presence over the last 15+ years increased the numbers out west?
What has the ARU, NSWRU really invested in the Shute in general, the strong clubs have made use of their resources to achieve their position.
The mooted 3T has been discussed in many threads previously, I think investing money into developing the Shute to achieve the 3T would be more beneficial than tipping money into the Emus?

What does Manly do for the Roos,Raiders or Harlequins?
How will tipping cash into the SS improve the quality of the comp?
A third tier of any worth could only field 3 or 4 teams from the current participants of the SS.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What does Manly do for the Roos,Raiders or Harlequins?
How will tipping cash into the SS improve the quality of the comp?
A third tier of any worth could only field 3 or 4 teams from the current participants of the SS.

I was suggesting instead of tipping money into Penrith, is there something else that can be looked at. Albeit I don't know about the ins and outs of a clubs P&L I think it would be a riskier investment tipping money into the Emu's if you look at the last 15 years.

Like most readers I'd say at a guess, we all see significant potential out west but I don't have the answer with regards to developing it. I don't think they should take their eyes off the west, but I'm not sure tipping money into the Emu's will strengthen our game.

You only mentioned 3 clubs, but there are 5 junior clubs with Manly, there is the Manly academy (u15 - u17) that train weekly and have hosted 2 international teams this year. The Manly's juniors did rather well in the recent state champs if I recall?
And being involved in one of the five, they have taken an interest, attended training, and been supportive of the re emergence of the Allambie.

Manly is very patriotic, and there gates are one of the strongest given the interest they take as outlined above. Brave guessing / questioning what Manly contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.