• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Yup, Parra are spread far and wide this weekend.

Grade (X1) V Gordon @ Mingarra Rec Club
Grade (X2) V Harlequins @ Campbelltown Showgrounds
Colts (X3) V Warringah @ Warringah

Will be good to minutes into the guys legs and start sorting through them all.

Very enjoyable afternoon of rugby at Campbelltown . Good rugby and good weather.

Impressive first hit out by all Grades

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any other scores (and vibe reports) from todays trial games
Apparently Parra Colts went well against Warringah, winning in First and Thirds and drawing in seconds (on a try to try basis). I understand there were lots of tries at Campbelltown and Parra crossed the line 9 times at Tumbi Umbi. Early days though and I suspect Gordon mixed their selections throughout the two matches they played.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Any other scores (and vibe reports) from todays trial games
Manly comfortable in the end in Newcastle 8 or 9 tries to a few - apparently not a bad crowd present and some excellent post match hospitality. Nice to hear good old fashioned rugby traditions being maintained by our Hunter friends (memo Shute Shield clubs must do better...).

The local spies say ACT Vikings pushed Syd Uni in Bathurst but I suppose we must make allowances for the latter's prospective thirds being a little underdone .

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
That's a loss for Warringah and NSW B o_O
Agree with that - Sam is highly regarded and I understand did a lot around the club beyond coaching the side. Be very interesting to see if the new guy can fill the big boots left behind

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good day for Parra yesterday, trialing at 3 different venues. The 1/2 squad beat Gordon 49 22 at Mingara, 3/4 squad beat Campbelltown but most pleasing was Colts, comfortably fielding 3 grades at Rat Park and coming away with two wins and a draw over Warringah. Next week we trial with Souths, grade is at Barden Ridge and Colts at Forshaw.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good day for Parra yesterday, trialing at 3 different venues. The 1/2 squad beat Gordon 49 22 at Mingara, 3/4 squad beat Campbelltown but most pleasing was Colts, comfortably fielding 3 grades at Rat Park and coming away with two wins and a draw over Warringah. Next week we trial with Souths, grade is at Barden Ridge and Colts at Forshaw.
Geez Colts drew the long straw there!

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Sam Harris will be a big loss but Haig Sare has a great rugby brain & Lachy Fear is there too... Good things could happen down there this year

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Rats v Marlins trials next weekend as good a place as any to show life after Sam mightn't be all bad......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Manly comfortable in the end in Newcastle 8 or 9 tries to a few - apparently not a bad crowd present and some excellent post match hospitality. Nice to hear good old fashioned rugby traditions being maintained by our Hunter friends (memo Shute Shield clubs must do better.).

The local spies say ACT Vikings pushed Syd Uni in Bathurst but I suppose we must make allowances for the latter's prospective thirds being a little underdone .

It's not ACT Vikings, but Tuggeranong Vikings.........

And the result wouldn't be a surprise considering Tuggeranong beat them the last time the teams played.........

Reactions: FTS

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What was the name of the Canberra Outfit that played in Shute Shield for one year, and Brissie Premiers for a couple of years?

Weren't they the called the Canberra Vikings? If so were they the Tuggeranong Vikings in a different guise or a representative team from the ACT?

I seem to recall from the pre-Brumbies times (many years pre-Brumbies), that the ACT team was called the Griffens or something like that.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
What was the name of the Canberra Outfit that played in Shute Shield for one year, and Brissie Premiers for a couple of years?

Weren't they the called the Canberra Vikings? If so were they the Tuggeranong Vikings in a different guise or a representative team from the ACT?

I seem to recall from the pre-Brumbies times (many years pre-Brumbies), that the ACT team was called the Griffens or something like that.
Kookaburras
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra_Vikings

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Tuggeranong Vikings are the John I Dent club team in Canberra, but the club also took over running the Canberra rep team (originally the Kookaburras) that competed in Sydney, Brisbane and the ARC..........

They're a well run, wealthy organisation with clubs across Canberra, and they also house the oval at their flagship club in Erindale where the JID finals get played, and where the Brumbies usually play one trial match per year.......

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
It's not ACT Vikings, but Tuggeranong Vikings...

And the result wouldn't be a surprise considering Tuggeranong beat them the last time the teams played...
Slim this isn't a crie de coeur from ACT club rugby land for recognition in a 3rd tier club rugby championship is it ?! Any way my apologies I was a little uncertain on exactly who was up there and the spy wasn't sure other than " some Canberra team" . Congrats on running Uni close hopefully the Tuggeranong Vikings like the rest of the Shute Shield will get to play against Issie Folau in the future without having to make the GF ! Also happy 100 years to the nations capital.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
1st grade Norths 24 (4 tries) beat Randwick 19 (3 tries): Daruda's going to be a good acquisition for Norths!
2nd grade Randwick 33 (5 tries) beat Norths 0

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

The ACT Rep team is called the Griffins I think, the ARC one was called the Canberra Vikings because the Vikiings club financed the whole shebang.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Wicks seem to be heavy in rebuild phase with not many rep players.

Not that we are likely to see him running around Coogee Oval too much (same for most Super Rugby players), but is Drew Mitchell still registered with Balmain and "loaned" back to Wicks when available - read finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.