• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wicks seem to be heavy in rebuild phase with not many rep players.

Not that we are likely to see him running around Coogee Oval too much (same for most Super Rugby players), but is Drew Mitchell still registered with Balmain and "loaned" back to Wicks when available - read finals?

Hugh, I think you're spot on about the re-building.
I reckon half the players in the first grade trial on Saturday were new to the club this year.
Great to see Seilala Lam back on the paddock and (apparently) getting through without injury.
Richard Aho and the "veteran" Tim Wright both had strong games.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hugh, I think you're spot on about the re-building.
I reckon half the players in the first grade trial on Saturday were new to the club this year.
Great to see Seilala Lam back on the paddock and (apparently) getting through without injury.
Richard Aho and the "veteran" Tim Wright both had strong games.
I assume Horwitz did not trial?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Tahs Side confirmed:

1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. John Ulugia (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Sitaleki Timani (Southern Districts)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly)
8. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
9. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
Replacements
16. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Mitchell Chapman (Eastern Suburbs)
19. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
20. Matt Lucas (Manly)
21. Ben Volavola (Southern Districts)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

Rumours have been confirmed John Ulugia has left Souths and joined Eastern Suburbs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure, but I have an inkling that in years gone by,not every player got paid what they were promised.
The good thing is that there are always new players coming through. And most players are not cynical until they have felt the rough end of the pineapple.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^^^^ $$$$$$$ ????

I thought Easts were nearly broke. The accounts published earlier by Inside Shoulder suggest that they are not overly endowed with funds.

A club can be broke but still pay players.

Basically, most benefactors have a very specific idea of what they want done with their funds, so they debt might be due to hiring staff but the benefactor might conditionally give the club funds for player's contracts.

I heard (could be bs) a nearly broke Victorian club were given 10 grand to go play at some overseas 7s tournament. The 10 grand would have better been committed elsewhere but that was the deal.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A club can be broke but still pay players.

Basically, most benefactors have a very specific idea of what they want done with their funds, so they debt might be due to hiring staff but the benefactor might conditionally give the club funds for player's contracts.

I heard (could be bs) a nearly broke Victorian club were given 10 grand to go play at some overseas 7s tournament. The 10 grand would have better been committed elsewhere but that was the deal.
How does that go in a winding up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Not all club's provide cash as well. For example when Hendrik Roodt played at Gordon he was provided with a sponsor's car.

Free accommodation is another major seller.

All clubs provide match bonuses on top of this usually.

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not all club's provide cash as well. For example when Hendrik Roodt played at Gordon he was provided with a sponsor's car.

Free accommodation is another major seller.

All clubs provide match bonuses on top of this usually.

Dud played for us? Must have missed that game :p Bit like Pretorius aligning himself with Gordon last year... We didn't expect him to play, but our halfbacks were hoping for a couple of sessions with him. Sadly never saw him north of the harbour.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Dud played for us? Must have missed that game :p Bit like Pretorius aligning himself with Gordon last year. We didn't expect him to play, but our halfbacks were hoping for a couple of sessions with him. Sadly never saw him north of the harbour.
What? you were hoping to get passing lessons from him?

Stag XV

Frank Nicholson (4)
What? you were hoping to get passing lessons from him?
Since Stirling we've been short on big names of late so anything that might create a bit of excitement at training would help. Hell, even playing against Mika out at Granville was exciting for some of our blokes, almost like playing Tatafu himself!!

Bullfrog

Stan Wickham (3)
Slim this isn't a crie de coeur from ACT club rugby land for recognition in a 3rd tier club rugby championship is it ?! Any way my apologies I was a little uncertain on exactly who was up there and the spy wasn't sure other than " some Canberra team" . Congrats on running Uni close hopefully the Tuggeranong Vikings like the rest of the Shute Shield will get to play against Issie Folau in the future without having to make the GF ! Also happy 100 years to the nations capital.
I just wanted to mention and thank both Sydney Uni and Tuggeranong Vikings for travelling out to Bathurst last weekend and playing some outstanding, hard, fast and intense rugby. This 'trial' game was for the Australian club championship and I can tell you, both clubs wanted to win at all costs. In the end, uni won the game 50 - 41. Seven games were played on the day with Bathurst Bulldogs playing against Uni colts (3) and Uni 4th/5th grade, Central West rep teams playing uni colts (2) and Uni 3rds and Vikings playing Uni in first and second grade and first grade colts. Uni bought up 7 teams (about 170' players and officials) and Vikings bought up about 90. Uni conducted a coaching session at local rugby nursery Stannies and Vikings did similar with Bathurst juniors on Saturday morning. The way both of these clubs conducted themselves is a credit to them. The kick start to the rugby season in Bathurst can not be overstated. The amenities and hospitality shown to these clubs was top class and we hope these types of trials can come west of the mountains again in the future. Such a treat for 'bush' rugby.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I just wanted to mention and thank both Sydney Uni and Tuggeranong Vikings for travelling out to Bathurst last weekend and playing some outstanding, hard, fast and intense rugby. This 'trial' game was for the Australian club championship and I can tell you, both clubs wanted to win at all costs. In the end, uni won the game 50 - 41. Seven games were played on the day with Bathurst Bulldogs playing against Uni colts (3) and Uni 4th/5th grade, Central West rep teams playing uni colts (2) and Uni 3rds and Vikings playing Uni in first and second grade and first grade colts. Uni bought up 7 teams (about 170' players and officials) and Vikings bought up about 90. Uni conducted a coaching session at local rugby nursery Stannies and Vikings did similar with Bathurst juniors on Saturday morning. The way both of these clubs conducted themselves is a credit to them. The kick start to the rugby season in Bathurst can not be overstated. The amenities and hospitality shown to these clubs was top class and we hope these types of trials can come west of the mountains again in the future. Such a treat for 'bush' rugby.

The Bathurst venue and hospitality was fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.