• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Id like to see 4 teams from Syd/4 from Qld and 2 from ACT - there is no point starting a comp where we have "rep" sides i.e 2 nsw, 1 act, 2 qld etc - one it makes it way to hard to totally start from scratch and they already tried that and it died in the ass (even though I somewhat think the comp was set up to fail before it started and was only really started because of presure on the aru).

If you have a comp made up of clubs that are already in the Shute Shield, Qld comp, John I dent cup - they already have a following, they already have grounds, they already have players etc etc etc - All that needs to be done is:

1. Market/advertise the shit out of it

2. Get a TV deal - the new ONE channel on free to air would be perfect

3. Give teams/players the ability to go on "loan" to clubs that have made the national comp on short term contracts - from the teams that didnt make it

4. The teams that have made it - give them different jerseys/playing gear, different "look" to their normal club gear - same colours etc - just a different look to seperate the 2 comps - and sell the shit out of this new merchandise

5. Have the inclusion of current Wallabies/Super rugby players and also bring players from over-seas again on "short term" ARU contracts - bring some big names over from New Zealand, South Africa, England, Ireland, France etc - if they had 1-2 big names from over-seas in the comp it would explode...

6. Each teams play eachother twice - in a shortened comp where weekend and mid-week games are played (like ITM cup), simple top 4 make it through - 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3 - winners in the final (could make it top 6 - but if you want to keep it simple top 4)

- These are just a few things they NEED to do - main thing is injecting some money into the advertising/marketing/tv deals

Get some excitment into the game - build it as a fast and furious, sudden death comp

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I like the idea of players in non qualifying teams being eligible. A further idea might be an additional cup/plate comp (like they do in 7s) run concurrently with the main gig. Or a conference system where a group of teams based on a geographic area (north, south, west) play a comp within the comp (like super rugby and the nfl) to qualify for the national comp. This would make sure vast swathes of Sydney wouldn't lose total interest. Not sure about Brisbane or Canberra, but sure a similar set up could be adopted there also. i also think that only a 1st XV comp for the national comp would be a necessity. You Could run the plate comp as a double header.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Id like to see each team maybe be able to loan 2 players each from other clubs - and a max of 1-2 international players.

In regards to having comps within comps - I think we need to start out basic and work from there - I wouldnt mind maybe seeing a comp between a few teams from Melb/NT/SA/WA - and the winner of that comp joins the national comp...i.e the top 1-2 teams of the top comps in each state/territory have a comp within there normal comps this may mean mid week games for them - and then the winner joins the national comp.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I was thinking more along the lines of the premiers plus the top team in each "conference" qualify for the big show. Unfortunately unless you play 2 home and away rounds this idea wouldn't be truly representative.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What a great idea. Take the four most successful clubs from Sydney and Brisbane, promote the hell out of them, and watch all the other clubs wither on the vine.

A great way to grow the game in the areas where it is currently struggling.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What a great idea. Take the four most successful clubs from Sydney and Brisbane, promote the hell out of them, and watch all the other clubs wither on the vine.

Thats not really the point mate - of course the ARU need to do a SHIT LOAD more as grass roots level and for the lower clubs in the shute shield etc - but with a national comp like this clubs will pick their game up, they will be playing for something bigger, more players will be attracted to play and to play for different clubs...

Its all about stepping up the level of rugby in Aus and bridging the huge cap between Club Rugby > Super Rugby > International rugby....

The ARU needs to help all clubs in these comps to be better its an investment for them...if these comps die then super rugby dies in aus, the wallabies die and then they are out of a job...I am not saying rugby wont be around in X amount of years I am just saying that in X amount of years we could see Aus rugby fall behind alot of the other rugby nations...in 1. Overall standings and 2. the ability to develop players.

We also have to put some of this back onto clubs aswell - in some respect the clubs need to take shit by the balls and if things arnt working then change it and make shit better....look at Para over the last 12 months? They were near death and now look at them...within 2-3 years we could see them win a prem if they keep going how they are going...so in some respects teams really need to step shit up if this sort of comp was to be formed and say do we want this or not.

Its something to push clubs, make them better, attract more players, build a bigger fan base, promote the game more...think about the marketing that could be done at some of these lower clubs - i.e This is the year for Penrith can they reach the national comp agasint all odds - yea thats abit cliche and movieish but this sort of stuff promotes awarness and excitment around a team, around a comp....

Lets think outside the box and not do the same old boring shit we have done and isnt working...

I agree money needs to be put into all aspects of the game but we also needing something to push teams to do better things...

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
No idea is perfect. If the comp is based on a regional conference system then only one from (as an example) manly, norths, gordon and warringah could qualify. The other option is bringing back the arc, with clubs Feeding into broader regional teams. I don't know as much as most as to why that won't/didn't work. But apart from folau, a third tier comp seems to be all the media is talking about rugby at present and a national club comp has to be better than the varsity u23s thing talked up a while back.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Ideas being thrown out there thats all, same as the University comp idea - UTS didnt make it with Drummoyne, UNSW has never stepped up so why would / could something be created now?

Why can't the Shute Shield be the 3T', a great foundation (almost 140 years of it)?
The top 6 / bottom 6 idea wasnt liked at the start, was it a sort of 3T test top 6 teams playing against eac other?
Our rugby landscape is empty after the Super Comp, and we are passing comments and being jealous of óther 3T comps around the globe, do the ARU do something about it?

I like the 4 rep teams, I also like the idea of raising the profile of the Shute Shield to become the 3T,
  • whose idea is it to reduce the seasons length so it's not a full home and away season?
  • This thread started 21st Sept and 36 pages later + related 3rd Tier threads suggest the tragics want somthing.
  • Keep waiting guys - till April.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No idea is perfect. If the comp is based on a regional conference system then only one from (as an example) manly, norths, gordon and warringah could qualify. The other option is bringing back the arc, with clubs Feeding into broader regional teams. I don't know as much as most as to why that won't/didn't work. But apart from folau, a third tier comp seems to be all the media is talking about rugby at present and a national club comp has to be better than the varsity u23s thing talked up a while back.

If they are going to bring back the ARC comp they need to pump alot more money into the marketing, advertising and promotions side of things.

From what I saw the ARU pretty much said yep give it one season if we dont break even or profit the comp is cut - which is a stupid way of going about things....this sort of comp needs a good 2-3 seasons to build and get followers - plus as I mentioned alot more marketing, advertising and promotions. Also we need the inclusion of 1,2,3 BIG names in the comp - I.e International stars from over-seas....

I always got the feeling the ARU set the ARC up to fail from the start and only really got the comp going due to pressure...they were seen to give it ago and then reported it just would not work and people took that and forgot about it...and now its all coming back up...by now the ARC could have been hugely successful and we could of seen a NUMBER of great players staying in Aus and maybe even attracting more players from over-seas.

Lets hope the new CEO can see this and I do hope something is set up and more money is pumped into grass roots rugby, I hope rugby comes back to free-to-air, I think going to foxtel was one of the biggest mistakes made by the ARU ever and I hope Aus rugby can turn around.

This year will be a big year for Aus rugby and could see some big turning points - if win cant win the Lions tour, if we cant win the rugby championships, bledisloe, end of year tours - and the Wallabies need to do this by out-playing teams not by the other team playing poorly - I havnt seen a game where the Wallabies have won over the last 24 months were they have 100% out-played another team...the wins have always been on the back of the other team playing poorly.

Lets see what happens - I just think if the Wallabies dont do 100% this year then heads need to be on the chopping block...for me 90,80,70% just wouldnt be good enough...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
this sort of comp needs a good 2-3 seasons to build and get followers - plus as I mentioned alot more marketing, advertising and promotions. Also we need the inclusion of 1,2,3 BIG names in the comp - I.e International stars from over-seas..

a NUMBER of great players staying in Aus and maybe even attracting more players from over-seas.

I think going to foxtel was one of the biggest mistakes made by the ARU ever and I hope Aus rugby can turn around.

I havnt seen a game where the Wallabies have won over the last 24 months were they have 100% out-played another team.the wins have always been on the back of the other team playing poorly.
# 8 some good points;
2 - 3 years most certainly, or can the Shute evolve into this comp, we can then leverage off club support.
A number of great players, What is Barnes being rummered to be paid, What is SBW being paid - how can we compete with that. Look at the interest Sebastien Chabal brought when Balmain signed him for one game.
Going to Foxtel - but why? Alot of us have followed the ITM, French, and now the 5 Nations....
Won a game in the last 24 months. I enjoyed the win against the All Blacks in 2011 I think at Suncorp when Radike scored the Run Away - that was a dominate game. The only one I enjoyed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The current Shute Shield could actually be promoted better - some years ago the Brisbane comp featured one match a week played at Ballymore under lights, which was televised.

Nobody is going to pay to televise or sponsor a match played at Sydney University Oval, or most other suburban ovals, it doesn't matter who plays.

So the first step is actually, not which teams play each other, but when and where they play.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The current Shute Shield could actually be promoted better - some years ago the Brisbane comp featured one match a week played at Ballymore under lights, which was televised.

Nobody is going to pay to televise or sponsor a match played at Sydney University Oval, or most other suburban ovals, it doesn't matter who plays.

So the first step is actually, not which teams play each other, but when and where they play.

Question, have you read the media about the public love for the afternoon football. So many people enjoyed the Saturday afternoon Wales test even though the quality was poor the atmosphere was great.

Does it grow through appealing to the tv audience, or grow by attendance and taking the kids along and letting them enjoy the day

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes, the public loves afternoon football, that is why they turn up in such huge numbers to pretty good Shute Shield games at accessible suburban venues.

There is no simple answer to any of this. However, it is probably much more important to get something on FTA - or the internet - of a decent quality (both from a production and a sporting viewpoint) because we need the exposure and we need the money, if any, that might come from it.

At the end of the day, we are now a professional sport in a very, very competitive marketplace, and our product has some significant disadvantages compared to the main opposition - the NRL and AFL - both games that are locally run, whose rules are totally locally driven, and whose games are pretty much all played in local time zones. Plus those two codes are already in a position of dominance, both in terms of player numbers and exposure, and also in terms of cash (particularly the AFL).

We are going to get swept away, if we are not smart and cautious. The AFL is definitely moving towards producing its own internet product, and the NRL will probably follow suit. Maybe that is the direction we should be looking, forget about FTA, go to the next generation.

Pulver should have a lot of savvy in this arena, from his CV.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Parramatta plays Southern Districts in a trial - all our remaining trials will be taking place out of town with the exception of a colts trial against Warringah.

Status
Not open for further replies.