• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I have edited it to remove reference. It was common knowledge and was even written about in the Daily Tele but my language was inappropriate.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
Not many have heard the rumour Wests are losing Concord Oval because they are not. I guarantee it.

Story I heard from a good source was that they wanted to build a gym underneath the grandstand. They made an application to council offering a $100,000 investment. It was knocked back and the power brokers asked why. They were told that the lease is not guaranteed. They began to get worried. Thats where its at presently. Sound about right 'In the know' ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can posts like the one Cyclo is referring to be immediately deleted by the moderators, please? This type of invasion of a woman's privacy is so far out of line that it must not be implicitly condoned by a failure to take immediate corrective action.
Corrective action has been taken. I left it to clearly illustrate the point as to what is, and is not, acceptable. It is not in any way condoned.

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
I'd suggest there are a variety of reasons, especially the distance (and cost) to travel for training and playing if you (and your mates) don't live in the area. A lot of players also don't want to play for a club that regularly gets beaten and has very little chance of making the playoffs.

Likewise its not the nicest area to play. If you are attracting outside players to your club I cant imagine a trip to Penrith for training and matches is that enticing?

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Prodigy I know you mean well but a rugby journeyman that played 1 Test for the AB's, a couple of Super Rugby games, a few games for Hunters Hill when he was friends with members of the club and then turns up at Parra towards the end of last season is hardly news worthy is it? http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/4882997/Sosene-Anesi-a-chance-for-Waratahs-recall

Perhaps we should just leave it to the media and marketing departments of the ARU/NSWRU/SRU as they are doing such an outstanding job of promoting the game west of Coogee and Manly ovals.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Perhaps we should just leave it to the media and marketing departments of the ARU/NSWRU/SRU as they are doing such an outstanding job of promoting the game west of Coogee and Manly ovals.

Stone cutter, this may provide an example. I enjoy getting down to watch Manly because they have a Community / Family culture, it has nothing to do with the ARU, NSWRU, or the SRU. It is a great day out down at Manly, the wife and kids have a ball every second weekend.

Not turning up to finals football is not good marketing.

There are clubs that can sit and complain and want, or there are some clubs who can look to grow the club and the community. Look at Parra 2 Years ago, what they archived last year, and what will be this year? It was not achieved by sitting on their arses and complaining.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
I'm not sure who is feeding you your information but i have been told from a reliable source that Cohen Masson is playing for Wests, Mark Murray is playing for Easts and regardless of whether Solomona Silipa has attended para training or not the chances of getting that man to play anywhere but Penrith is slim to none. Also Jason Peseta is at Penrith for the 2013 season.

Note the term rumoured, the Cohen-Mason situation corrected on here a long way back regarding him playing at Wests. I also stated that I believed Paseta would be with Penrith in 2013 - and in terms of Mark Murray he was recently named in the Waikato 7s side in NZ which means he is back there, he was ruled out of the nationals due to not playing the necessary number of tournaments in the lead up. He may be returning who knows - the point was in all cases they are losses to Penrith.

Glen Christini

Peter Burge (5)
Prodigy I know you mean well but a rugby journeyman that played 1 Test for the AB's, a couple of Super Rugby games, a few games for Hunters Hill when he was friends with members of the club and then turns up at Parra towards the end of last season is hardly news worthy is it? http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/4882997/Sosene-Anesi-a-chance-for-Waratahs-recall

Never saw the original or full post but from all accounts average stuff. Soseni played many more than a "few" super games, obviously you are forgetting his time with the Chiefs, not to mention Waikato in the NPC. He was red hot during this time which resulted in him being rewarded with his one test cap which is not easily achieved - I think your selling his career short. He definitely did not find his best whilst at the Tahs but through that period the Tahs were struggling to unleash their back line at the best of times.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No matter what your opinion of Soseni may be, I'd be prepared to wager $100 to a knob of goat droppings that he has played one more test than the majority of Gaggerlanders.

The Lords of Darkness jealously guard their brand and do not hand out Caps to players that are useless.

Even my old mate from Wellington begrudgingly admits pantyhose wearing Darkness fulback Allan Hewson "played allright sometimes".

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
As above - to play a match in the All Blacks jersey is a huge achievement. To belittle that is indicative of a poor understanding and history of the game. (Coming from a dyed in the wool Wallabies supporter).

Many here are keyboard warriors, and I'd suggests many have never played 1st grade at premier level. Keep this in mind when bring critical.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
Stone cutter, this may provide an example. I enjoy getting down to watch Manly because they have a Community / Family culture, it has nothing to do with the ARU, NSWRU, or the SRU. It is a great day out down at Manly, the wife and kids have a ball every second weekend.

Not turning up to finals football is not good marketing.

There are clubs that can sit and complain and want, or there are some clubs who can look to grow the club and the community. Look at Parra 2 Years ago, what they archived last year, and what will be this year? It was not achieved by sitting on their arses and complaining.

Dave,

I think you missed the sarcasm and cynisism in my belief that any of the mentioned unions give a rats arse about rugby in this city let alone out west.

That an ex-All Black is playing at club level in the west of all places is something to be shouting from the rooftops because there aint too many ex Wallabies doing the same (or current ones for that matter). But we'll be fine if club rugby dies won't we Mr Pulver?
Schoolboys straight to Wallabies eh!

PS* 1 test is more than beyond the dreams dare I say it of most of the contributors to this discussion and he's not the only international on the books. Congrats to Parramatta for providing a club culture that can attract players of this quality.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave,

I think you missed the sarcasm and cynisism in my belief that any of the mentioned unions give a rats arse about rugby in this city let alone out west.

That an ex-All Black is playing at club level in the west of all places is something to be shouting from the rooftops because there aint too many ex Wallabies doing the same (or current ones for that matter). But we'll be fine if club rugby dies won't we Mr Pulver?
Schoolboys straight to Wallabies eh!

PS* 1 test is more than beyond the dreams dare I say it of most of the contributors to this discussion and he's not the only international on the books. Congrats to Parramatta for providing a club culture that can attract players of this quality.

Yep missed, all good.
I hope Pulver has some one going over the content of this forum, there are some fantastic ideas (& some stupid ones), lets give him a chance.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sure was, Soseni is fantastic, hasn't missed a session in off-season or pre-season so far. He is our fittest player and fastest and a leader in every sense of the word.

Hey mate did Soseni come to Para in the hope of maybe picking up a Super Rugby contract with an Aus side? or is he just in a point in his career where he is happy playing club rugby?

SackRobbie

Chris McKivat (8)
No doubt it is a great feat to play a Test for the AB's you wont find me doubting that and that is far from what I said.

The point is that he is a former AB that played a Test off the bench in 2005 but is now playing with Parra. Is that really of interest to the jurnos? If so it would have been written about last year when he first came over. It made a mention in rugby news but only because people thought it was Jerry Collins not Sos as the mystery NZ international in the lead up to it. It may have also got 2 paragraphs in an online edition of the Tele, I seem to remember.

I am not saying he is not worthy of praise. This is not about the merits of Sos. My point is he wont get any media interest because he is hardly a world beater.

Let's get a bit fair dinkum if we think that will get a story written on it in anything other than a local rag then we are all having ourselves on.

Falou to Penrith would have made considerable headlines - maybe even back page but that would upset the apple cart at Uni and his new coaches old club.

That's where the priorities are skewed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
No doubt it is a great feat to play a Test for the AB's you wont find me doubting that and that is far from what I said.

The point is that he is a former AB that played a Test off the bench in 2005 but is now playing with Parra. Is that really of interest to the jurnos? If so it would have been written about last year when he first came over. It made a mention in rugby news but only because people thought it was Jerry Collins not Sos as the mystery NZ international.

I am not saying he is not worthy of praise. My point is he wont get any media interest because he is hardly a world beater.

Let's get a bit fair dinkum if we think that will get a story written on it in anything other than a local rag then we are all having ourselves on.

SackRobbie - If there is reason for a story we should look at using that to promote our game, more stories more interest in our brand. The 2 Parra Characters are doing a great job promoting Parra & Rugby on GAGR - I think we were all waiting to see who who the mystery player was last year.

If there is a story lets promote it, I think the clubs can / are doing a better job than the ARU, NSWRU. Going back to the early - mid 90's there was a match report on each game, not sure who was responsible for it, lets bring it back

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interested to know if clubs run there own BBQ/ canteen and make any good profits from this? The Wicks have previously outsourced this to junior clubs to raise money but are looking at running it themselves and going 50/50 with junior clubs in 2013. How good are the emu burgers at Penrith!!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Interested to know if clubs run there own BBQ/ canteen and make any good profits from this? The Wicks have previously outsourced this to junior clubs to raise money but are looking at running it themselves and going 50/50 with junior clubs in 2013. How good are the emu burgers at Penrith!!!
It's part of the day out, I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.