• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Agree belly, Wests do make a profit and I'm currently putting an article together on the finances of all the Shute shield clubs. It will make for interesting reading.

I recall someone posting that the Treasurer at Pirates is the Prudential Regulator, and that he runs the books on the Micawber Principle:
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

The other clubs could follow his lead and learn to live within their means.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
At the end of the day the ARU need to pump more money into the development of the Shute Shield and support teams when they are struggling...who wants to go to games when you know your team will get beaten - teams like Penrith need to be in the comp but they also need some support and so do all teams at one time or another....why dont the ARU have a "development program" where they pump X amount of money into different clubs that could be struggling to try and get them back on their feet and also how to manage the funds that are coming in. Also it does come down to the club and who they select as not only players but managers, coaching staff etc - as someone already said Para were down and out and in a same sort of position to Penrith - but with some smart coaching moves and player selection they are starting to re-build.

My big problem is that the ARU dont seem the "care" about grass roots rugby and only look at the top line - I.e Wallabies - when they dont seem to understand or look like they understand that if the Shute Shield, Qld comp, ACT comp arnt strong then in 5-10 years we will have a Wallabies team that will be 5th,6th,7th in the world...we are already seeing it with Super Rugby sides that players from over-seas are being looked at before players in the Shute Shield, and other comps...what a fucking joke! There are a number of players in the Shute Shield that should be playing super rugby....we should not be looking at South Africa, New Zealand, Europe to fill our super rugby squads...

The ARU need to do some serious work and put some serious money on the table to pump into club rugby...because as I said I do think in 5-10 years we will see the Wallabies outside the top 5 in the world....the development or lack there of is already showing as the Wallabies have started to struggle over the last 2-3 years. I honestly believe as the rest of the world has taken the professional game by the balls Aus rugby has just gone with the flow and the professional game has caught up with them and they CAN NOT rely on natural talent anymore...

When they are giving wankers like Cooper a million bucks a year that sorta shows how well they control their money and where there interest lay.

P.S sorry for rant. Vot one No.8 for CEO of ARU

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I recall someone posting that the Treasurer at Pirates is the Prudential Regulator, and that he runs the books on the Micawber Principle:
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

The other clubs could follow his lead and learn to live within their means.
Easier said than done:
Easts 2012 A/R

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Total revenues $960k
gate takings & program sales $28k
Says it all doesn't it?
Hope the directors understand they may be personally liable by continuing to trade.
No way would I be on that board.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^
@Crashy's consolidation of SS club accounts may make for interesting reading.

SRU, NSWRU and ARU must be/should be more than a little worried if these results are being replicated across the board (Pirates excluded).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If blokes get a break in Penrith and use it to go play for an inner-city Sydney club and then make the big time somewhere in the world, then Penrith is still a vital stepping stone.

Obviously the great men and women at Penrith have greater ambitions than being a launch pad but the reality is regardless of anything else the club still serves a purpose and is still helping men become professionals.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That is some ugly reading isn't it - not a good position to be in and a big hole to try and dig their way out of.

I felt despair on reading it - the losses for the last 2 years are massive.
They've done a great job cutting costs but look at the reduction in the amount spent on rugby - coaching etc.
In the scheme of things many would have thought Eastern Sydney a rugby stronghold - it may be, but if it is it ain't reflected in Easts financials.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I felt despair on reading it - the losses for the last 2 years are massive.
They've done a great job cutting costs but look at the reduction in the amount spent on rugby - coaching etc.
In the scheme of things many would have thought Eastern Sydney a rugby stronghold - it may be, but if it is it ain't reflected in Easts financials.
Rumours flying around that a benefactor is going to bail easts out

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The "good" thing about the dire situation at Easts is that there is no attempt to sugarcoat or somehow hide the results.

By making their financials readily available, knowledge of the situation is not restricted to the Board and the usual perennial AGM attenders.

Are things as bad as this in any Brissie Premier Clubs Scott Allen ?

T

TOCC

The "good" thing about the dire situation at Easts is that there is no attempt to sugarcoat or somehow hide the results.

By making their financials readily available, knowledge of the situation is not restricted to the Board and the usual perennial AGM attenders.

Gold Coast Rugby was in a very similar state(if not worse) at the end of 2012, they just penned an agreement/sponsorship/merger with Bond University which has saved them.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

Haven't heard current rumours of any major problems with other clubs, apart from Gold Coast as already discussed. Souths had issues a few years ago due to a legal bill trying to get planning permission for a second field so had a tough few years whilst fixing that. University and Sunnybank are both very strong financially.

Revenue base is a lot less in Brisbane. Annual reports of my own club, Wests, are publicly available and show annual revenue of $400-$450K. With that revenue the club makes a profit, has no debt and cash in the bank (although that was not the case four or five years ago). Obviously to achieve the turnaround from some years ago and maintain the current position costs have to be very tightly controlled. Not sure about revenue of other clubs.

Some differences between Brisbane and Sydney - 1) player payments in Brisbane are usually only for a select few players (we don't pay any players at Wests) and 2) no admission charged for spectators.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

It would be good if we could see other clubs and get a real sense of the financial health of the game at this level.
While the benefactor would be a welcome development the broader issue is the apparent lack of sustainability.
As TOCC points out sponsorships increased (I think its actually 16% - see p18) but contra sponsorships decreased - I think that's a bad thing since its shown in revenues (I am struggling with the concept of a contra sponsorship but it may relate to the commercial gym in the old grandstand)
An increase in sponsorship in the current climate is a good effort - but most of the difference was on the expenditure side and it doesn't seem that coaches or players are being paid much.
Can SS survive with paid players in the medium to long term?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Does it?

The board seems to have done a pretty good job at reducing expenses an increasing sponsorship 10%..
I made no comment on the board.
My point was about the relevance of Easts in it's wider community, and it's capacity to support itself as a business.
Gate takings would indicate that only WAGS and mums and dads are watching the Beasties these days .
If they only generate a gate of 100 locals, then there is no commercial rationale for sponsoring them.They don't have sponsors, they have benefactors.

T

TOCC

My point was about the relevance of Easts in it's wider community, and it's capacity to support itself as a business.
Gate takings would indicate that only WAGS and mums and dads are watching the Beasties these days .
If they only generate a gate of 100 locals, then there is no commercial rationale for sponsoring them.They don't have sponsors, they have benefactors.

Not particularly, team sponsors still gain exposure when playing at other grounds and the power of the alumni network and its influence in sponsorship and corporate support is often hard to measure...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Ever been to a SS game?
What exposure does any of the 7 major sponsors(not the jersey sponsor)get when Easts play at Narrabeen or Penrith or Sylvania?
Actually, what benefit do they get at a home game?
If you can't demonstrate an economic rationale for being a sponsor, then I suggest that it is silly to suggest there is one.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Apart rom Uni does anyone get more than 100 locals: dogs are free, arent they?

Status
Not open for further replies.