• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
He was on the bench for 1sts yesterday - think he played the last 10 minutes or so

OK, I noticed Jack Grant was replaced but didn't recognise the replacement and the ground announcer was drowned out by the crowd noise -- if only that happened every week!
PS: No complaint about the GA, would just like to see crowrds like that every week.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great round of Rugby this week.
4 teams got a bonus point for <7 point loss.
Wests lost to last year premiers by 8
And the riff...
Most even comp I can remember, usually top 2 or top 4 teams are a grade above the rest.
Not like that at all,this year.

True, but I still fancy the Marlins --- they have a lot of talent still to come back I think.

tahfanman

Bob McCowan (2)
Cliff Hanger was the star down at Coogee this afternoon.
Big crowd, bright sunshine, great banter from the Beasties and Wicks lower grade drinking teams, 4 tries each and the lead swapping several times in the 2nd half. Mr Pulver wasn't sighted (or sited), but maybe he should attend a few local derbies so he can understand what club rugby is all about and why he has a RESPONSIBILITY to provide support for it. If he doesn't believe that he should move on and give the job to someone who does.

Great day down at Coogee Oval yesterday for the game of rugby. The buzz was in the air. Very physical game with a lot of niggle to be expected. Randwick are top of the ladder because of the simple go forward all year of their pack and yesterday was no different. Baldwin, Croke, Armstrong and Munro going forward at all costs. Defense was similarly abrasive with Frier and baldwin hard on the ball as usual. Randwicks backline was a wee bit cross field which i'v seen a couple games now Deegan really needs to learn to straighten the attack but ma'afu was physical and direct at 13. But a good win nevertheless for a team that should only get better with players like Hanigan, short and potentially kellaway coming back into the fold for finals. Easts looked pretty strong but i'm sure they will be deflated after that. Their 6 was impressive, Buchanan I think, big and physical and 10 and 13 looked good as did their small winger. Didn't see much of Rowan Perry who we were told was one of easts stars but certainly a team that is vast improved and I think will be 5th or 6th at the end of the year.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great day down at Coogee Oval yesterday for the game of rugby. The buzz was in the air. Very physical game with a lot of niggle to be expected. Randwick are top of the ladder because of the simple go forward all year of their pack and yesterday was no different. Baldwin, Croke, Armstrong and Munro going forward at all costs. Defense was similarly abrasive with Frier and baldwin hard on the ball as usual. Randwicks backline was a wee bit cross field which i'v seen a couple games now Deegan really needs to learn to straighten the attack but ma'afu was physical and direct at 13. But a good win nevertheless for a team that should only get better with players like Hanigan, short and potentially kellaway coming back into the fold for finals. Easts looked pretty strong but i'm sure they will be deflated after that. Their 6 was impressive, Buchanan I think, big and physical and 10 and 13 looked good as did their small winger. Didn't see much of Rowan Perry who we were told was one of easts stars but certainly a team that is vast improved and I think will be 5th or 6th at the end of the year.

Watching Easts yesterday (first time I've seen them this year) I was reminded of a quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid along the lines of: "Who are these guys? They're very good aren't they?"

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thought Mista Rabbit played for The Corporation back in the day.

AFAIK he played his rugby for the students and also coached there for some time. In fact he was the 2nd grade forwards coach when one P. Fitzsimons was in the team. Even Fitzy reckons he's a good bloke, despite their obvious political differences - in fact they were even in one of the papers this week having lunch.

A favourite PF story is of coach Abbott packing scrums in the driving rain at training.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For some reason I have a notion that he also played for Manly as a breakaway while he was at the seminary.

When he first became the local member 20 years ago, he used to play a few games a year in 5th grade in the front row for Manly (then known as the Blues).

Ive met him a few times and despite his political persona, he's a really good bloke.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Watching Easts yesterday (first time I've seen them this year) I was reminded of a quote from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid along the lines of: "Who are these guys? They're very good aren't they?"

Early call. Will beat Manly. Should have won same match last year. Parity in scrum and better at breakdown. Attacking flair was the difference.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How is Rowan Perry travelling with Easts this year? Will he take the step upto the NRC this year - or due to this move to the Shute Shield from the John I Dent comp is he now a small fish in a big pond?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Perry was looking good in some early games I thought, but haven't seen anything of Easts for a while. He was not out of place last year in the NRC for the ACT Vikings and he certainly starred for the Aus Barbarians in NZ, where he played a distributing role (something like an alternative No 10) as well as the pilfering No 7 role.

He will star in this year's NRC for which ever side he plays, and I believe he is Super Rugby ready. Bring him back to Canberra, I say.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Considering easts are with randwick in the NRC will make it hard for Perry. Mark Baldwin is randwicks out and out best player, a team which is top of the ladder

Will Miller has also been playing for Country although not for Norths recently and has been pretty outstanding the last few NRC's.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Will Miller has also been playing for Country although not for Norths recently and has been pretty outstanding the last few NRC's.

Don't forget Sydney Uni have now jumped on the Country Eagles bandwagon as well so a lot of good players are going to miss out on playing time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It may come down to The Corporation, Beasties & Wix biting the bullet and accepting that some of their players will end up playing for Rams or Rays, or they have to accept that a fair chunk of their better players won't get the exposure and development that the NRC can offer to their players.

The first choice Eagles squad will be very powerful relative to the Rays and Rams if the NRC squads rely on Non-Wallaby pros and players from the feeder clubs for the NRC franchises.

Learned One

Allen Oxlade (6)
@No 8 and @Brumby Runner regards Rowan Perry .

Unless the Brumbies include him in the match day 23 with significant playing time, then he is better playing in SS with Easts, a good side but not the dominant side, than returning to the JID. IMO.
Week after week over 18 rounds he'll be in a scrap against some real quality players. Aussie Dom and Tahfanman have highlighted two such players but there are others as well. Complement the SS experience with a possible run in the NRC then it starts to look like a great pathway for Rowan.
I'd be interested to know if the Sydney move was a Brumby initiative or more likely a shrewd ES recruitment?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Perry was looking good in some early games I thought, but haven't seen anything of Easts for a while. He was not out of place last year in the NRC for the ACT Vikings and he certainly starred for the Aus Barbarians in NZ, where he played a distributing role (something like an alternative No 10) as well as the pilfering No 7 role.

He will star in this year's NRC for which ever side he plays, and I believe he is Super Rugby ready. Bring him back to Canberra, I say.
He went okay against Baldwin, but a year older and a bit smarter made the differences with Baldwin. He was beaten cleanly on the ball twice by the oldest man on the paddock, being Freier, but so have so many men over the last 5 decades of Adam's senior career.So that was nothing to be ashamed about, but Super Rugby ready? Look at the 7's in front of him first. Hodgson, who is still 25 years younger than Freier, would play him off the park in all facets. He is at least 20 kg lighter than McMahon, who is faster and would not let him get hand on the pill in the ruck. Gill is <than a year older, with M Gunn the same age as Perry as his understudy and kept him out of a lot of Aus Jerseys. Hooper is a couple of years older and then there is the reason he left Canberra which is Pocock. He is a good back up player that needs a lot of luck to fall his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.