• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It seems to be a recent phenomenon that ex-schoolboy/U20s No 10s are simply not measuring up when brought in at higher levels.

Examples - McIntyre, Jooste, Mason, Deegan, even Horwitz in the No 10 spot. It's early days yet, but I can see Hamish Stewart also adding to this list based on his outings for the Reds.

Too many who do the pretty things at the lower levels but who perhaps haven't got the physicality to succeed at the higher levels?

I reckon its because the received wisdom from U7s to, say, 1st grade colts is that the best player plays 10 and the best player is the bloke who can put on a couple of steps and score himself.
So when they move up everyone can tackle and there are enough people who are as fast or faster.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
It's not just Rugby , & it's not just Australia.
I was speaking to a former All Black's coach last week about this very subject, & he told me that the same problems were being experienced in New Zealand as well.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
The state school comps in any sport are half assed affairs that do little to develop players. The Waratah Shield is a knockout comp so even the finalists only play about five games. Local clubs do a million times better job.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
School sport in the vast majority of state schools has historically been half assed. It all depended on the whims of the PE people. If they wanted to push a particular sport, they could.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
And it will soon start to die in either Perth or Melbourne as well.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Mark Ella's recent suggestion would go a long way to fix that problem. IIRC he advocated switching Development Officer salary funding to the purchase of training equipment and have lots of volunteers each take a small suite of schools under their wing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would departments of education permit that?

With a program i think they would.
A plan.
Desired results.
Benifit to kids.
Benifit to school.
Enjoyment.
Working with children checks.

As much as i dont want to say it, i find public schools lazy now. Back when i was growing up we had teachers that would volunteer their hours to coach after school because they liked / played rugby them selves.

I'm finding these sorts of teachers no longer exist, they want something for it, and the school doesnt want to pay it.

So by giving the school a program and ensuring you tick boxes for them - education departments may like it.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Two Blues Andrew Cox will captain the First XV this Saturday for the 152nd time, surpassing the great Alan Minett as the club record holder. Andrew became Captain at a very young age in the club's darkest hour, suffering humiliating defeats and the defection of lesser men. He now stands as a giant of the club and the Shute Shield. Congratulations Coxy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Great effort. Parramatta has a great history, I hope that all your players understand that.

If I were involved in the club, I would make sure that everybody, players, supporters, just everybody knows all about your traditions, and the wonderful players who have put on the two blues uniform.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Great effort. Parramatta has a great history, I hope that all your players understand that.

If I were involved in the club, I would make sure that everybody, players, supporters, just everybody knows all about your traditions, and the wonderful players who have put on the two blues uniform.
You are welcome to get involved Wamberal. Few former players care anymore.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sorry, mate. Firstly, I really admire Parramatta, but that is because I am Eastwood through and through. So I am probably not the right person.

Secondly, I live a long way away these days. If I still lived in the district, i would have loved to give a talk or something.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Woodies leading Southern. I can't believe it. And Wests leading the Corporation. Wests look like the real deal this season, they gave us a good touch up.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wests 40 Uni 38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I checked the scores a while ago on Fusesport, it showed Wests ahead by a lot. Looks as though they fell in a hole. They are going to upset a lot of fancied teams this year, I reckon. And if some of their fatties get fit, look out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.