• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The only question to be answered is quade joining him.

Apart of course from the answer to the question why did SBWs management leak this news before the contract was signed...........

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I can't see Cooper going to league. Not the greatest negotiation strategy either with someone about to get their chance in number 10 while he's injured.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The injury has happened at a bad time for him, but rumor was their management was shopping them round as a double act for 2013 this year.

SBW will negotiate with others yet, 800,000 grand is now the starting price per year for him. Roosters interest is declared so if someone throghs 900 on the table there is bound to be egg on their face and more money will be found.

The ridiculus thing about it is. Now, a top line league player is on between 400 and 600 thousand a year. The clubs are complaining about pokies and other sports and posting losses. There new tv deal is meant to see the salary cap rise, but even before they know by how much it will, or how much government pokie legislation will impact them, there signing players on long term deals for more and more money. It's defies belief.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The reality is that SBW has always preferred League and has always been a better League player than Rugby player. And if it wasn't for a massive falling out with the Bulldogs a few years back, he'd never have run from Australia and switched to Rugby in France.

As a Crusaders and ABs fan I'll be sad to see SBW leave the game, but I certainly won't hold any grudges. He is returning to the game he loves most, having given a lot to rugby during his short stint. The NZRU didn't spend a cent on his junior development. This is a player who came to rugby as an established athlete, a physical freak. And even the basics were taught to him at Toulon, who should be more aggrieved than Kiwi or Aussie rugby fans. The NZRU benefited immensely from his time in NZ from a commercial sense, and this was largely due to the profile he had built up playing a completely different sport. This is not a player who rugby has invested heavily in. Rugby got him cheaply, at the top of his game. I will always remember his efforts to help Canterbury win the 2010 ITM Cup, and of course this year to help NZ win the RWC. If he does leave for the NRL I won't think of him as the one that got away, I'll think it was an unexpected bonus that we ever had him playing Rugby in the first place.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Well said Ali, but my point is this is negotiation not a done deal, if the NZRU come to the party and make him rich in order to keep him, his value drops IMO

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade will surely join him. The Roosters don't have a 5/8 any more with Carney and Anasta (soon) gone? They would see him as a strong long term partner with Pearce.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Quade will surely join him. The Roosters don't have a 5/8 any more with Carney and Anasta (soon) gone? They would see him as a strong long term partner with Pearce.

Rooster have signed Daniel Mortimer for 2012 and James Maloney for 2013. They are not short on quality 5/8ths over the next few years by any means.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

You may be right as to how easts perceive him but the flaw in his game about which everyone on here agrees, irrespective of their overall view of QC (Quade Cooper), will have to be addressed. With a salary cap and an urgent need for results and SbW reportedly commanding 800k per annum how can you pay QC (Quade Cooper) anything like what he is now paid while you teach him to defend?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Quade doesn't need to learn to defend to play league, that is a furphy. When was the last time you saw a one on one tackle in league.

S

spooony

Why would you bring him back Spend the money on loyal NRL players

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Most the tries in league either come from a kick or someone missing a one-on-one tackle.....including 1st fives.

Fair enough, I don't watch nearly enough league to keep going. My gut feel is more is made of it that needs to be. The Mungos would disregard all of that just to sign a pair of Rugby's "hottest and most valuable".

S

spooony

A certain thing that was missing made its return to Rugby League. Money. Thx to the big TV sponsor deal they can fork out 4 million for him. Rugby clubs in Japan offered him around 1 million per year.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I never saw SBW as being dangerous against top tier nations In rugby... And from looking at his game time neither did the ABs.

S

spooony

He's ability to offload in the tackle was one of his strengths. But he really didnt stay long enough to really make a impact.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just waiting to hear how he dominated union with his league skills from the league commentators.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Status
Not open for further replies.