• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
ROUND THREE:

CSU (4) v RARC (12)

Jack Burey had a handy game at halfback for the Reddies last Friday night, and CSU will miss his ability to marshal his forward pack and provide good service to Paul Hood this week due to an ankle injury. Although RARC were on the wrong end of an 11 try romp by the Steamers last weekend, their effort and spirit cannot be faulted. Aaron Louden lead his team around the field with discipline and control which is something he will need to do again this week. The RARC backline is their strength at this stage of the season with some hard running centres playing hard and fast rugby which is great to watch. I would expect CSU to control this game with tactical kicking and set piece play.

Tahs (6) v Temora (11)

Tahs are coming off a historic loss to City last week and will surely come out with all guns blazing against the Tuskers at Conolly Park. Without star centre Pat Barrett and 5/8 Xavier Chigwidden, the Tahs seemed to lack direction in the backline and spent too much time drifting the ball away from their support play last week. Temora’s strength is in their backline and they will need to show off their confrontational defensive technique to turn Tahs around tomorrow. Temora’s fitness may be the deciding factor in this match, depending on how they make use of their bench players.

Albury (1) v Griffith (7)

This is a close one, although Albury easily accounted for RARC last week I’m sure they would admit that they have plenty to work on at this stage of the season. Griffith are probably in a similar position, where they didn’t fire in Round One and barely got up over Young at home. Griffith need their forwards to ante up against the Albury pack and will also look to maintain their discipline in defence in order to starve the Steamers of possession. Travel is always an issue for the Blacks, my gut feeling is that Albury will be strong at home and Griffith will have their work cut out for themselves here.

Young (5) v Leeton (9)

Young will be happy to be playing at Cranfield Oval again this week after coming oh so close to knocking off Griffith at the Coro Club Oval. Leeton have had a decent enough start to the season so far with only the one loss against a much improved Cootamundra outfit last weekend. At home, Young will be confident of scalping the Phantoms here but should not take the Leeton boys lightly as they have some dominant players in Bill Bevan and Dave Sinclair in their forward pack alongside a more youthful backline than previous seasons.

Coota (3) v Aggies (2) MATCH OF THE ROUND

Another week of beach rugby over at Cootamundra! Aggies have a glut of players at present and welcome back gun halfback Peter Armstrong to 1st grade after he was forced to play reserve grade last week due to Aggies selection policy. If you can afford to leave Peter Armstrong out of your first grade side, things must be pretty bloody rosy!! Cootamundra have been working hard over the offseason and have plenty to prove at home here. This game will let Coota know where they are at at this early stage of the competition. Graham Hardie is skippering his side again this week and I’m sure that he will put in his usual measured performance, his combination with Bob Scott on counter attack will be a key to Cootamundra making the most of this one. Tim Corcoran is another Aggies player who had to come back through seconds due to their strong numbers, he will also be a central part of Aggies go-forward tomorrow.

Tumut (10) v City (8)

Tim Graham’s boys did their best against Aggies for the first 20 minutes or so, but eventually caved to the might of Ag College. It’s always hard backing up after such a big loss, but they should be a different outfit at home. City are rolling along nicely at the moment, third round in and they haven’t put a full strength side together which gives them the opportunity to work on some combinations which is always important. Keegan Thornhill and Rambo Lagaali played some great footy last week and hopefully they can put in another similar performance this week in the hills.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
After a little pre-season turmoil, the Steamers seem to be warming to the task a bit this year. A good vibe in the club now

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
ROUND THREE RESULTS:
First Grade:

CSU 36 bt RARC 28
Tahs 21 bt Temora 13
Albury 83 bt Griffith 0
Young 42 bt Leeton 24
Aggies 40 bt Coota 7
City 50 bt Tumut 14

Second Grade:
Hay 12 bt CSU 5
Tahs 27 bt Temora 7
Albury 52 bt Griffith 0
Young 19 bt Leeton 12
Aggies 38 bt Coota 5
Tumut 36 bt City 10

Third Grade:
Albury 30 bt Griffith 0 Win by forfeit. Some tough times ahead for Griffith.

17's
Harden 54 bt Coota 14
Young 86 bt Leeton 3

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Albury 83 Griffith blot! WTF? What's happened to the mighty Blacks? Not good for the competition for one of the traditionally strongest, and biggest, clubs to cave in like that.

PS. And 52-0 in 2nds. Not good.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Albury 83 Griffith blot! WTF? What's happened to the mighty Blacks? Not good for the competition for one of the traditionally strongest, and biggest, clubs to cave in like that.
It's time for an honesty session at Griffith by the look of things. Griffith forfeited 3rd Grade on Saturday morning and only took 25 odd players to Albury (they got done 52-0 in 2nds). Their coach is less than impressed with the commitment displayed by the club, they have a solid core group of roughly 30 players, but outside that they are finding it hard to get guys to commit. Could be a tough season for Griffith.

rugbyfollower

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting to note that both tahs and aggies lost there respective away games to those two teams last season. also was wondering connolly park oval was looking since the red legged earth mites had wiped it out around grandfinal time last year?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting to note that both tahs and aggies lost there respective away games to those two teams last season. also was wondering connolly park oval was looking since the red legged earth mites had wiped it out around grandfinal time last year?
That's right RF, both in the same round from memory - and both major upsets. My mail says that Aggies were very polished against Coota, but Temora v Tahs was a tight one.
CRP looks a million bucks, it's enjoyed a good off-season. Number 3 even looks good.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With a disjointed pre-season, players missing from early games and untimely injuries The Steamers have been playing at about 70% I reckon. They wont hit their straps until the season split

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
CSU UNVEILS NEW PITCH

Charles Sturt University have unveiled a"new" pitch at the uni, the new ground will be named "Beres Ellwood Oval +10" after it was discovered that the previous Beres Ellwood Oval had been 10m skinnier than it ought to be.

The mistake was discovered when CSU and Aggies joined forces to purchase a much needed line marking machine (a sensational investment I must say). On the new machine's maiden run, the clubs actually took the law book with them to verify the dimensions and discovered that they had been marking the field 5m short on either side for who knows how long!

The stuff up has been blamed on first year uni students with some mention of O-week in there as well (although no one from CSU or Aggies would comment publicly on the matter).

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
...was wondering (how) Conolly Rugby Park was looking since the red-legged earth mites had wiped it out around grand final time last year?

Don't know if we were at the same ground, rf, but if CRP was "wiped out" by red-legged earth mites in September last year those little buggers can "wipe out" any rugby ground they like, it looked bloody good to me. My mail was the Wagga council took liberties with the playing surface and did a spot of damage: I had a beer after the game with the turf supplier who put down that ground, he was a bit narky over what WWCC had done but nothing permanent which he couldn't fix. The 2011 grand final was played at a cracking pace on a good surface.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
ROUND FOUR:

Griffith (8) v CSU (3)

Hopefully Griffith can rustle up some more players at home this week in an effort to get their season moving in the right direction. CSU Coach Cannon Banks blasted his boys after their sleepy effort against RARC last week and he will be keen for Reddies to come away from the MIA with the goods this week. I would expect CSU to bounce back with the return of Jack Burey from an ankle complaint and put in a much more concerted performance this week.

RARC (11) v Tahs (5)

Tahs will be keen to shake off two pretty ordinary performances in a row against the Army boys here. Tahs struggled to maintain any structure in their game against Temora last week and seemed to be rattled in defence. Pat Barrett had a run around in two’s for the Tahs, will he play this week? RARC will have gained some confidence from their second half fight back against CSU last week and will be looking to Graham Baker to guide his troops around the park this week. RARC play well together as a team and put in honest performances across the park and will rely on these attributes to get them across the line here. Waratahs pace out wide will be tough to manage though.

City (6) v Temora (12)

Life doesn’t get any easier for the Tuskers who are off to a slow start to the season with a tough match against the comeback kings, Wagga City. Temora breakaway Adam Bensch put in a stellar performance in a losing side against the Tahs last week and he will need to put in a similar performance this week against the large City pack. City will want to make the most of the home ground advantage in this one and have got plenty to prove to the competition this week. This game could go either way as I’m sure Temora will be desperate for victory here while City need to put Temora away to cement their position as genuine contenders this season.

Leeton (9) v Albury (1)

Leeton are at home this week against a rampaging Steamers outfit. If namtrak is correct and the Steamers are only operating at 70%, I’d hate to see them when they get on a roll! The Steamers have amassed 177 points in three matches (keep in mind they have been terrible with their conversions, so this figure could be larger) for an average of 59 points for, while only leaking 6.33 points on average per match – ominous signs for the Phantoms! Jarryd Pattison has been putting in some solid performances for the Phantoms and will definitely have his work cut out for himself this week!

Aggies (2) v Young (4) MATCH OF THE ROUND

From all reports the Aggies were on top of their game against Coota at the Cootamundra beach last week so look out Young on their trip to “Beres Ellwood Oval +10” this week. While Ag College are happy to continue ignoring the press, they are on a pretty solid start and have actually added to their ability from last year, my scouts tell me that they are a well polished machine even at this early stage of the competition. Young need this match to give themselves an honest assessment of where they sit in the grand scheme of things for 2012 and should be looking forward to the challenge. I expect to see Aggies use all of the new found metres at their home ground this week.

Tumut (10) v Coota (7)

Well, this one could go either way, Coota were not happy with their performance last week after some promising signs early in the pre-season and Tumut need a win at home to boost their spirits. Game sense was an issue for the Tri-Colours against Aggies and Tumut need to work on focussing for the full 80mins (which has been a problem for them in past seasons). In 2011, I would have said that this game would be a real contest as both teams were evenly matched across the park, but based on recent form, it’s hard to judge what will happen with these two teams this week.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
ROUND FOUR RESULTS:

First Grade:

CSU 31 bt Griffith 26
Tahs 87 bt RARC 7
City 50 bt Temora 10
Albury 33 bt Leeton 14
Aggies 73 bt Young 16
Coota 17 bt Tumut 16

Second Grade:

Griffith 24 bt CSU 12
Hay 48 bt Waratahs 17
Wagga City 18 bt Temora 14
Albury 26 bt Leeton 15
Ag College 57 bt Young 5
Cootamundra 42 bt Tumut 0

3rd Grade:
Wagga Ag College 30 bt Young 0, Griffith 3 drew with CSU 3 (I thought it was against the laws to kick penalty goals in Thirds!)

Under 17s:
Leeton 36 bt Griffith 27, Wagga Waratahs 25 bt Cootamundra 10

Go the Brumbies

F

frontrowfien

The reason the CSU vs Griffith 3rd grade game was a 3 all draw is because there was a horrific broken leg to one of the griffith players and the game had to be called off.

F

frontrowfien

from the sound it made and the way it looked when it was dangling he will be on crutches for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.