• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Just looked at Courtney Ree's Preview in the Daily Advertiser for the rest of the season in SIRU - its a pretty good Summary
She reckons City & CSU are not going to make the Walsh & Blair Cup when the Comp splits in 3 more Rounds
I reckon she is close to the money
City did themselves no favours with their loss to Temora last saturday but then again City have been shooting themselves in the foot for many many seasons now .
Go the Aggies- big win last Saturday boys - keep it up
Any other Thoughts ?

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The half season review looks pretty good. My smokies would be the Aggies and the Reddies. I think the Aggies have the individual players to match it with anyone and the Reddies have the spirit. The next 3 games are going to be vital. The Reddies will need to beat the Tahs and the Aggies are going to have to get past both Tumut and City.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Should be an interesting 3 Final Rounds
I can't see any team outside of Albury , Leeton & Griffith winning the Walsh & Blair Cup this year
Something doesn't appear right at Waratahs, Reddies are too hot and cold, Ag College are too young & City & Tumut just can't match it with the big boys
I heard the Rep Team played pretty well against Country last saturday which is a great effort
The other thing is How Well is Hay going in 2nd Grade !!! - Go the 'Cutters

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round Nine Preview:

Competition points are becoming very hard to come by for some clubs in the middle of the pack at this important stage of the season. Strap yourselves in for a roller-coaster few weeks leading into the Premier Division split.

Deni v CSU (4) – 2nd Grade Only

Temora (10) v Waratahs (8) – 1st Grade Only

Who would have thought that the glamour club would be sitting in 8th position at this stage of the season? Temora will be bristling with anticipation ahead of this clash and will be licking their chops at the thought of being able to knock Waratahs off here.

Waratahs have the ability to be sitting much higher on the ladder but just haven’t been able to string any consistent form together. They have struggled to get a consistent team on the paddock which must be frustrating them, however at this stage of the season, they just need to knuckle down and get it done

Expect a physical encounter at T-Town for this one.

Griffith/Hay (3) v Albury (1) – Match of the Round

Have a look at the ladder, this is 3rd place hosting 1st place and each team has a very similar defensive record, but have a go at the For column – Albury = 419pts, Griffith = 231pts, that’s a fair difference in anyone’s book!

The Steamers are poking along very well at the moment, with only the one loss to date to the Phantoms last week which I would suggest won’t be worrying Coach Raynes much at all. No rep players would have made life difficult for the Steamers as their 2nd Graders aren’t at the same lofty heights of their 1st Grade team.

The Blacks will bring their A game to the table this week and will be keen for Chris Latu, Daniel Dowson and Matt Vitucci to take them forward this week, however I reckon Ash Lefevre, Arran MacDougall and Liam Krautz may have something to say about that.

The inside backs will be an interesting match up also with Sonny Saleopulu and Richard Manion both key players who direct their charges well. Semisi Rogoyawa and Sam Allen will also be a couple of livewires to keep an eye on out wide.

Both teams are pretty solid across the park, both have handy 5/8’s, the forward packs are solid, agile back rows and there is some speed out wide on both sides. While both teams will be keen to bag the win, this game is ultimately more about getting afeel for how the other team plays the game in preparation for the Premier Division.

Leeton (2) v Young (9)

The fairytale continues for the Phantoms and it’s a good news story that the Phantoms community deserve. They’ve done it tough for many years now but now need to continue to win and become a ruthless force in the SIRU competition.

The Phantom’s defence has been very solid this year which is a testament to their commitment to each other; they need to carry this attitude through the coming weeks and into the Premier Division as they are presently the only undefeated team in the competition.

The Yabbies are playing well in patches but need to be able to operate at a higher intensity for longer periods of the game to really trouble to higher placed teams. There are some handy guys in the Yabbies outfit that are doing well – Rory Shoard and Sam Bunny come to mind.

Ag College (7) v Coota (11)

Ag College and Waratahs are two heavyweights who are really going to have to fight hard in the coming weeks to ensure they make the Premier Division and Aggies will want to be certain of that this week. Cootamundra haven’t set the world on fire this year and will be up against it in this match.

Ag College will no doubt be keen to have Ben Leaper and co back in the fold following their rep duties and really need to use this game as a chance to build some cohesion in preparation for the pointy end of the season.

City (6) v Tumut (5)

While this match isn’t match of the round, it is arguably one of the most important games this week as both City and Tumut attempt to qualify for the Premier Division.

I’ve seen City a few times this year and would say that they are chugging along ok, they missed James Curgenven’s boot and Rambo Lagaali’s go-forward last week but have the ability to steady the ship in this encounter. Tumut are playing a tough brand of footy at the moment relying on their pack to grind it out and the individual brilliance of Tino Manuolevo combining with Joe Reynolds in the centres to split defences.

Watching the two rep players Tino and Curgenven in this match will be a highlight.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Does Griffith only have 1 Grade in mens playing tomorrow or has Albury got a 3rds ?
Griffith have 1st and 3rd grades, Hay play as Griffith's 2nd Grade. Albury don't have 3rd Grade this year.

Griffith only have one grade playing mens tomorrow.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
@yourmatesam,

What is your pick for the top given the run home for a couple teams?

Obviously makes is tough given Tahs play City/Alb to finish & Aggies v Tumut/ City etc?

But are you all anyone else willing to have a crack?

Am hopeful to get home for the GF but might struggle

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
cancel my prediction about Griffith being in the running for Walsh & blair Cup this year - if they haven't got a 2nd Grade they've got no hope
Funny Decision - I wonder how many 3rd Grade players they have considering they don't get much regular Rugy
Go the Cutters

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
@yourmatesam,

What is your pick for the top given the run home for a couple teams?

Obviously makes is tough given Tahs play City/Alb to finish & Aggies v Tumut/ City etc?

But are you all anyone else willing to have a crack?

Am hopeful to get home for the GF but might struggle
Nice try mate, you know I'm not going to do that! I will say this though, the next few weeks will come down to ticker and commitment to their teammates for the teams in the hunt.

These clubs have the opportunity to either fall on their face or step up to the mark and play Premier Division. It's as simple as that.

There are no easy games for any of the teams chasing the Premier Division over the next three weeks and ultimately the club's are in control of their own destiny.

Griffith will play in the Premier Division, Hay will follow them.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round 9 1st Grade scores - Albury 37 d Griffith 31, Leeton 49 d Young 0, Tumut 43 d City 19, Waratahs 55 d Temora 24, Ag College 69 d Coota 5

2nd Grade;

Hay 42 d Albury 0, Leeton 24 d Young 0, Tumut 24 d City 17, Cootamundra 18 d Ag College 14, Deniliquin 22 d CSU 20

3rd Grade;

Junee 26 d Waratahs 17, City 24 d Tumut 0, Leeton 14 drew with Young 14,

Womens' 7-A-Side ;
Griffith 39 d Albury 7, City 32 d Tumut 10, Leeton 62 d Young 0, CSU 61 d Deniliquin 0, Temora 29 d Waratahs 19

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In terms of the standard of Rugby - where do you think the Southern Inland Comp fits in with some of Aus bigger amateur comps - the way I see it -

- NRC

In order of standard -

- Shute Shield
- QLD Comp
- ACT Comp

- Then would the Southern Inland be one of the best comps after those 3?

I have played against some of the Southern Inland players and none of the ones I played against would look out of place playing 1st Grade in Canberra.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think you then are looking at Newcastle, Illawarra, Central West and other similar places. There are players within SIRU who could cut it in any of the major comps in Australia, however it is the depth of the individual clubs where the differential lay.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
In terms of the standard of Rugby - where do you think the Southern Inland Comp fits in with some of Aus bigger amateur comps - the way I see it -

- NRC

In order of standard -

- Shute Shield
- QLD Comp
- ACT Comp

Let's put our fair dinkum hats on for a minute. None of the above are amateur competitions, they are part of the pathway but definitely not amateur.

I reckon SIRU sits somewhere around the standard of Central West and agree with @namtrak that the depth of competition is the difference.

Off field support in strength and conditioning programs and sponsorship is also a point of difference as the competition competes with AFL and fivekick.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
........Off field support in strength and conditioning programs and sponsorship is also a point of difference as the competition competes with AFL and fivekick.......

We are definitely seeing pressure to deliver a more holistic program for players. Largely driven by the expectation of the international players, there is a call for specific fitness and nutrition programming, higher quality and more available physio and medical attention, and better coaching and management across the board. All of which will create a stronger competition but will also see those clubs that don't keep up, fall by the wayside.

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
The SIRU Competition is a good Competitive Country Rugby Union Comp
The trouble is the big Towns are getting bigger & stronger and the smaller Towns are shrinking and find it harder to get 2 Grades let alone 1 Grade e.g Coota & Temora - Leeton is an exception this year but have been wobbly for several years
A rumour doing the Rounds that a 1 Grade Competition will be offered to Clubs by SIRU next year and may see the return of the likes of Grenfell, Wyalong, Harden & Condo !!
Good or Bad ? - I say Good

Country_seahorse

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey guys, long time reader first time blogger.
I've been playing in the siru comp for 3 yrs now, and previously played in the Newcastle Comp before relocating out this way.
Regarding the strength of the comp, I'd have to say newcastle is a fair step above. Mainly because a few clubs have started to step into what namtrak mentioned. If you u have spare time, YouTube wanderers bluetube.
I'd reckon a few off our clubs could compete with most clubs tho.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hey guys, long time reader first time blogger.
I'd reckon a few off our clubs could compete with most clubs tho.
Welcome aboard mate, the more the merrier!

We are definitely seeing pressure to deliver a more holistic program for players.

I agree with the above two points, 1 - Some SIRU clubs would compete with the mid-lower tier of any of the larger competitions in Country NSW and ACT. 2 - Rugby clubs have to step forward with more ancillary options to continue to compete, attract, manage and retain players and to grow the competition. Whether this is a job and a place to stay or a gym membership, being more organised, earning more sponsorship dollars or pushing their coaches onto higher honours - the end result is the same, they need to look at what they are offering their players vs the next club.

I've always been a supporter of the clubs that have looked overseas to fill gaps in their rosters, when it's done in the right manner. I don't support these options when it takes away from the local content but I think that all the "import" players in recent years have been an asset to their clubs and the local competition.

A rumour doing the Rounds that a 1 Grade Competition will be offered to Clubs by SIRU next year and may see the return of the likes of Grenfell, Wyalong, Harden & Condo !!

I support the possibility of changing the competition for 2016, I think it makes sense and is a marker of sport in general in country areas. SIRU have always been a board that look at the competition and allows clubs the best opportunity to play regular rugby.

The present model is one that has suited the majority of clubs for the past 5 or so years and maybe it's time for a change? A Premier Division that requires 2 teams; a one team competition; a women's competition; a thirsty thirds competition? Under 17's? Play it on a Home and Away basis with a 4 team finals series, happy days.

The issues that arise from the above will revolve more around what to do with the larger club's thirsty thirds the under 17's and women's competitions. If they are separate competitions, you can't guarantee that they are going to play at the same venue.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
After what Jake White did with the Brumbies players in 2012 both the Melbourne (Dewar shield) and the WA Comp have both strengthen significantly since both the rebels and the force have opted to do the same with their contracted players. Which in turn would then drop a Siru ranking a little lower again.

Siru is a pretty strong and competitive country comp which can differ from team to team.
In regard to the Bris cimp I think it would sit somewhere just under a Bris1st grade standard (which is essentially a 3rd team after Premier, prem reserves).
Then again prem colts is a good standard of what is just kids, but close to 100% GPS schoolboys , ex Aussie schoolboys and sprinkling of Aus & state u/20s.
What is a bit of a unquie difference is that the comps are largely different rugby, country rugby is quite tough with some old battle harden heads. Where as the lower grades of city rugby it's still reasonably skilful and quick.
After a debut in premier on the weekend, that sure is bloody quick!

Obviously all a little off topic but. Hopefully gives a little insight to a few differences in standards.

How ever with 2 massive rounds left pre-split is any one willing to decide the fate of Ag, Tahs CSU, City and name a top 6?
Have to dig deep in the archives to find when Waratahs weren't in the race for the top prize!

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
After a debut in premier on the weekend, that sure is bloody quick!

Obviously all a little off topic but. Hopefully gives a little insight to a few differences in standards.

How ever with 2 massive rounds left pre-split is any one willing to decide the fate of Ag, Tahs CSU, City and name a top 6?
Have to dig deep in the archives to find when Waratahs weren't in the race for the top prize!

Congratulations on your debut mate, well done!

Don't forget Tumut in that mix for the race to the Premier Division!

Status
Not open for further replies.