• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

dargwad

Bob McCowan (2)
Have you always been a Reds supporter?
No mate but I developed a soft spot for them the first time we migrated over the border in 2005... I blame queensland rail as they used to give out free hats and other items as part of their commuter reds indoctrination program...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Brumbies Provincial Tournament Preview:

The local competition takes a back seat this week to the Brumbies Provincial Tournament which will be held in Wagga Wagga at Conolly Park. The big carrot for players this year is the opportunity to play against the NSW Country Cockatoos at Bruce Stadium next Saturday for the Brumbies Provincial Team which is an exciting prospect for the players in this weekend’s competition.

The 2015 tournament was shaping up to be a really good hit out for all teams with South Australia and ASRU also playing at the tournament; however this has been slightly dulled by the late withdrawal by South Australia and subsequently ASRU. The South Coast team has also been a little light on for numbers and will be assisted by 10 players from SIRU who have put their hand up.

The South Coast players deserve a wrap for their efforts each year at the BPT, considering that there are only 5 teams in the FSC Competition and full marks to the players from SIRU who have put their hands up. I’m sure the SIRU boys will give it their all and the FSC guys will be stoked to have Marika Vunibaka running around for them!

SIRU have been the winners of the BPT for the past four seasons and deserve to be coming into this weekend as favourites. Coach Richard Turnbull has prepared his players as best he can for this hit out but I’m sure he would have liked some more time with the guys to work on the finer points of the game.

Congratulations to Richard Manion and his family on the arrival of another future Steamer during the week. Richard has been selected as Captain of the side, however will miss the Saturday fixture and is ably replaced in this capacity by Ben Leaper.

As far as form goes, it’s difficult to put a form guide around how the teams will fare. South Coast have a total of 100 players to choose from, Monaro have a significantly larger pool to draw from and from traditionally strong rugby areas such as Crookwell, Goulburn etc and SIRU are arguably slightly ahead of Monaro in this regard.

In terms of players, I am keen to see Lex Botha run around for SIRU, the South African import has some pedigree and his inclusion in the team is easily warranted. His link up with Manion, Curgenven, Olds and co will be good to watch.

In the forwards, Tom Dunstan will not be appearing due to a nasty collision with Ash Lefevre last week that saw Tom having a snooze for a while on the ground.

I would suggest that SIRU will be a stronger team than Monaro but will be made to work for the entire match. The biggest problem with these type of tournaments is that the players don’t have the time together to prepare appropriately and end up improving over the course of the matches as a group. What this leads to is individual match ups being important, particularly as the teams change so regularly – even during the match!

There’s no doubt that the SIRU and Monaro teams will be keen to give it to each other on the Monday and will want to put their best foot forward in preparation for the game on the following Saturday afternoon. It’s going to be a very quick turnaround for the coaching and playing staff for the match against NSW Country next week!

The following players from respective SIRU Clubs have been selected to assist South Coast at this year’s Brumbies Provincial Tournament in Wagga this weekend

Dan Patu, Marika Vunibaka, Sam Allen & Stuart Dyer (Leeton), Seth Stoltenberg (Wagga City), Matt Vitucci, Andrew Madden, Suni Sami & Vaea Mateo (Griffith) & Coen Potter (Tumut)

BRUMBIES PROVINCIAL TOURNAMENT DRAW

SATURDAY 6TH JUNE 2015

3.00pm Southern Inland Rams v South Coast Marlins

SUNDAY 7TH JUNE 2015

3:00pm South Coast Marlins v Monaro

MONDAY 8TH JUNE 2015

11.00am Monaro v Southern Inland Rams

Approx 1.00pm Presentation of Trophies & Announcement of the Brumbies provincial Rep Squad to play NSW Country at Canberra Stadium on Saturday June 13 as a Curtain Raiser to the Brumbies v Crusaders Super 15 match

Brumbies Provincial v NSW Country set down for a 1.00pm kick offwith the main game to kick off at 3.30pm

Phantom blogger

Frank Row (1)
Wow. Didn't expect that type of score line with the siru players helping out South coast. really shows how strong the siru team is this year.

jb23

Allen Oxlade (6)
What's the chat like following the rep weekend ??
Saw today's result in the paper online, anyone there have any thoughts on the game?
Is it nearly time Siru throws in the Rams and redbacks to beef up the comp a little? Disappointing sa pulled the pin that have the comp and little more punch last year.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
What's the chat like following the rep weekend ??
Saw today's result in the paper online, anyone there have any thoughts on the game?
Is it nearly time Siru throws in the Rams and redbacks to beef up the comp a little? Disappointing sa pulled the pin that have the comp and little more punch last year.
I only saw one game but was surprised that SIRU beat Monaro by such a significant margin.

SIRU's inside backs played well and controlled the game as expected. My gut feeling is that the NSW Country tight five and outside backs will be a tough hurdle for our guys on Saturday. I reckon our inside backs will hold their own and our back row will be competitive.

Having said that, these guys have got the perfect opportunity to let it all hang out this Saturday and I hope that they give it to NSW Country.

There is some genuine talent in the SIRU team in Lex Botha, Ben Leaper, Liam Krautz, James Olds and James Curgenven who deserve their chance on a higher stage and will take that chance with both hands.

I reckon this Saturday is also the best opportunity for all the old heads that want to go back to NSW Country to have a look at where SIRU is in the greater scheme of things.

I'll be hanging out to hear how our boys go thus weekend.

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Another great message being sent by Coach Turnbull that you don't even need to play in the tournament to make the Brumbies Provincial team. Good luck to Tom Dunstan but pretty disconcerting for the players who battled hard and gave their best all weekend.
Wonder when Young will receive a call from Aggies enquiring about the possibility of a mid week clash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Another great message being sent by Coach Turnbull that you don't even need to play in the tournament to make the Brumbies Provincial team. Good luck to Tom Dunstan but pretty disconcerting for the players who battled hard and gave their best all weekend.
Wonder when Young will receive a call from Aggies enquiring about the possibility of a mid week clash?

To be fair to Tom and Richard, he has played the past two seasons and was badly concussed the week before the tournament began.

Is there a better prop who nominated themselves for the rep program?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
BRUMBIES PROVINCIAL SQUAD: Stu Garrett, Jock Munro, Tom Dunstan, Peter Vorster, Ash Leferve, Ben Leaper, Tanian Naude, Liam Krautz, Sam Hobbs, Richard Manion, Steve Tracey, James Curgenven, Lex Botha, James Olds, Rambo Lagaali, Chris Latu, Gearin Price, Andrew Goslett, David Akkersdyk, Mick Webber, Aiden Greaves, Christopher O’Shannesy, Matt Caldwell

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)

It's important to note that this has been done before, and not by coach Turnbull. Mik Webber of Monaro was selected 2 years ago I believe after facing the same concussion issues as Tom Dunstan.

On a side note I think that with a better halves combo who controlled the game at the same level as SIRU, Monaro would have finished a lot closer than 40 odd points.

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I don't envy Richard Turnbull and the selection panel, I have no doubt a lot of coaches are lobbying for their players to make the cut - and fair enough to. I do know that the Steamers coterie rate Arran Macdougall very highly and he could be considered unlucky to make the cut. And I have no doubt there are a dozen similar stories across the region. At the end of the day, the guys that are going have a great opportunity to test themselves at the highest level, and you can't ask for more than that

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I don't envy Richard Turnbull and the selection panel, I have no doubt a lot of coaches are lobbying for their players to make the cut - and fair enough to. I do know that the Steamers coterie rate Arran Macdougall very highly and he could be considered unlucky to make the cut.
Agree that Macdougall is unlucky not to be in the team, I also don't envy the selection panel having to select the team based on the games over the weekend. There wasn't a lot of opportunity for a prop to show their wares!

Sicnarf

Ted Fahey (11)
Don't know if Macdougall was unlucky but Dunstan is a good player & can play Prop & Hooker
If they get beaten by less than 20 they (Brumbies Provincial) have done well but I see a big scoreline coming up against them unforunately.
Manion wasn't as effective yesterday as he is for Albury & Manualevo impressed me more than Manion yesterday because he is prepared to run to the line more
Brumbies Provincial have some good players but the Cockattoos have ex- Shute Shield players in their ranks and will record a comfortable win

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
.........Dunstan is a good player & can play Prop & Hooker.........

Good point, I think players that can play in multiple positions are highly valued. And this game will be decided in the tight five. If the Brumbies Prov. squad can deliver something special up front, then the rest of the squad will lift in response. I'm willing to bet a 10 point game.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
No preview this week folks as I'm away and not in a position to preview the round.

All the best to the SIRU rep team tomorrow. Give it everything you've got boys, it's a great opportunity for you all.

I'll be interested to see the results from around the grounds this weekend, hopefully the rep program doesn't impact the competition too much.

Have a chat amongst yourselves, what are your thoughts on the match ups this weekend?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
#SIRU2015 Round 8 Scores - Leeton 33 d Albury 25, CSU 20 d Griffith 15, Tumut 48 d Coota 10, Ag College 40 d Young 26, Temora 29 d City 12

NSW Country 39 def Brumbies Provincial 27

2nd Grade;
Leeton 64 d Albury 0, Hay 37 d CSU 7, Coota 19 d Tumut 12, Ag College 21 d Young 14, Deniliquin 36 d Waratahs 31

3rd Grade;

CSU 15 d Griffith 10, Junee 30 d Tumut 14, Young 22 d Ag College 17

Womens' 7-A-Side;
Leeton 35 d Albury 5, CSU 22 d Griffith 12, Ag College 27 d Young 10, City 41 d Temora 22, Waratahs 46 d Deni 5

Status
Not open for further replies.