• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Obviously the Club is in a State of Shock regarding Andy's passing.
A big day is being planned with Sponsors Day & ladies Day being held
I hope the Club gets through the Day OK- Win, Lose or Draw
I'm sure his Family will be supported by the Ag College Family on Saturday and in the Future
RIP Andy

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Round 14 Tips

3 of the matches will see big scores I reckon- Waratahs, Tumut & Albury to record big wins over Griffith, City & CSU respectively
The Ag College v Leeton match has a lot hinging on it and with the sad news during the Week I'm sure the Ag College players will give it their best shot tomorrow at the Uni - My head says Leeton will win but my Heart is with Aggies for this one Tomorrow
I just hope they don't burn up all that energy, determination, sadness and keenness to do well for their team mate and then leave themselves with nothing left in the Tank for the final 20 minutes against the bigger and stronger players from Leeton

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Maybe we start too early Reasoning. I think the season is long enough but it’s pretty cool up here in Griffith. Far too cold for cricket. I reckon we should have a pre season comp and pick a rep squad. That would extend our season. I suppose if you get through to the GF the season will seem long enough.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Finals series is too long, more teams make the finals than miss out. Four weeks? Even Super Rugby has only three.

Agree with you - make it just a top 4 over 3 weeks of Finals but I would like to maybe see a couple more Rounds but I don't know how u can do that

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree with you - make it just a top 4 over 3 weeks of Finals but I would like to maybe see a couple more Rounds but I don't know how u can do that

There are a number of possibilities, one of which was put to clubs after the AGM last year.

It's possible to put 3 extra games into the competition by creating two pools of four like so:
City, Tahs, Albury, Tumut
Griffith, Leeton, CSU, Ag College

They play an additional game against each team per season and then mirror reverse the home/away status the following season. ie City v Tahs on 3 occasions.

Pools (or really just extra rounds) have been created with thought given to minimising travel, pre-existing club rivalries and the potential for "double headers".

Not a bad idea in my opinion and would take the "regular season" out to 17 rounds.

Also, I think the finals format should be a Top 4 (across ALL grades). If the zone wants to reward the minor premier with hosting rights etc, let them host week one and the winner of 1v2 then progresses to the GF and hosts. Simples.

Although, is this the aim of the finals series? Would there be enough variety in venues for clubs not hosting to be happy with that? If there are 3 additional rounds of footy in the season, do we "need" a Top 5 finals series? Less teams are a part of the finals series though (by 8 teams).

I'd like to see these sort of options posed much earlier in the season than they are at the AGM in an effort to provide clubs more time to consider their options. Or is communication within clubs an issue? I regularly hear punters (and club committee members) asking questions about the competition that have already been communicated to their respective President/Secretary etc. Maybe there is a better way of communicating to clubs?

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks Sam - Maybe a Think Tank not long after the season so that the Clubs can put forward some ideas before the AGM - if we make it a Top 4 that would mean Albury would have missed out this year
Also Sam can you give us the Finals Timetable for all Grades this Saturday at Conolly as soon as you get them
I can't see anything on the SIRU Website or Facebook Page ?-
Should be a busy day on Saturday with 10 Finals to be played and reckon on that basis we may be looking at a 4.00pm or 4.30pm kick off time for the last Final to be played

always rugby

Stan Wickham (3)
75c1391e19ae59f25e152295e84af256.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Timings look a bit tight: starting at 14:20 with a scheduled finish time of 15:40 doesn't leave any time for a break, or even scores at full-time. What happens about extra time to decide winners?

Old Fart

Stan Wickham (3)
The Tumut v Albury game is hard to tip, with Tumut back to full strength compared to the last time they played. Morgan may even be tempted to play Joe Renyolds at inside centre to provide some much need go forward and also experience.
In the other game Leeton will be prepared for the Aggies now which should make for a cracker. The phantoms must contain the Ag College forwards especially young Woods who at 20 years old must be the most damaging tighthead in the comp. Possible Bill Castle Medal?
On a side note well done to the Ag College on the way they honoured their mate last Saturday, it was a great show of their tight knit culture with their support of one another. I reckon it was also one it was one of the biggest crowds at Beres in a long time.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Tumut v Albury game is hard to tip, with Tumut back to full strength compared to the last time they played. Morgan may even be tempted to play Joe Renyolds at inside centre to provide some much need go forward and also experience.
In the other game Leeton will be prepared for the Aggies now which should make for a cracker. The phantoms must contain the Ag College forwards especially young Woods who at 20 years old must be the most damaging tighthead in the comp. Possible Bill Castle Medal?
On a side note well done to the Ag College on the way they honoured their mate last Saturday, it was a great show of their tight knit culture with their support of one another. I reckon it was also one it was one of the biggest crowds at Beres in a long time.

I don't know if Tumut have got the X factor in them to trouble Albury on Saturday - Yes they won their last 2 matches against Griffith & City but I reckon that will give them a false sense of security.
Albury have Manion back playing and he is worth at least 10-15 points to them - The Steamers have a set of Forwards that work very hard and with the likes of Maninio, Devlin, Le Cornu and Allen in their backline they will have too many attacking options for Tumut to combat
It's good to see the Tumut fullback back playing again but he can't do it all be himself and he will find himself pretty heavily marked on Saturday by the Steamers who are my selection to make the GF this year against Waratahs.

The Leeton v Aggies Final should be an interesting affair. It was great to hear that Aggies did so well against the Phantoms last Saturday in what must have been a Special day for those that attended.
I really don't think Leeton treated last Saturday's final Competition match that seriously - they couldn't improve on their final position on the Ladder and the word is that several of their star players didn't turn up at the Uni because they were either resting an injury or were at work
It will be a different Leeton this Saturday and although Ag College will again have plenty of sentimental support I reckon a few of their players may suffer a bit of a Let Down on Saturday after such a big occasion last Weekend.
Leeton apparently still fancy themselves big time to knock off Waratahs this season and they will be desperate to get another crack at the undefeated Minor Premiers on Saturday Week - The Phantoms have stretched Waratahs in both their matches this year, Albury stretched Waratahs once this year in their 2nd Round clash at Albury but unfortunately for both Tumut & Ag College judging by their scores against Waratahs this year they don't have the Game or the Personnel to put a dent in the 'Tahs armour

Your mention of the Bill Castle Medal and the naming of Ag College's Woods as a chance to be in the running prompted me to think who should be in the running this year
I would be surprised if anyone from Griffith, CSU or City took out the Medal after their performances this year
Waratahs may have the problem of all the Points being shared amongst their Star players although I reckon their Fullback (Hart) might be a chance despite missing a few games to injury.
Albury's best have been Le Cornu, Devlin & Allen and Tumut's best have been Glamuzina and Menzies
Noa Rabici (Leeton) was injured in a Rep game earlier this year and hasn't played since and Joe Ratu only turned up in the last 5 Rounds
If Woods isn't in the Frame for Aggies I reckon 5/8 Cam Duffy might be a chance to win the Medal on his own this year after sharing the Award with Noa Rabici last year and their breakawy Van Diggelen has had a pretty good year as well

Hopefully its a great day for everyone on Saturday at Conolly

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hey troops. Going back a few weeks, I was at the game where the Griffith lad up ended one of the Steamers and got red carded and 4 weeks. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. He did go over the horizontal, but it was a very gentle let down. At the time I thought Yellow but the Red was possible. 4 weeks? No way. I think the Steamers watched the video of the game and were shocked at how soft the tackle was. I’m not sure that SIRU sought a copy of any game video.

Secondly can someone give me the structure of the finals in the 2nd and 3rd week.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hey troops. Going back a few weeks, I was at the game where the Griffith lad up ended one of the Steamers and got red carded and 4 weeks. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. He did go over the horizontal, but it was a very gentle let down. At the time I thought Yellow but the Red was possible. 4 weeks? No way. I think the Steamers watched the video of the game and were shocked at how soft the tackle was. I’m not sure that SIRU sought a copy of any game video.

Secondly can someone give me the structure of the finals in the 2nd and 3rd week.

I suppose it all depended on what Griffith didat the Judiciary hearing ?

This is my understanding of Week 2 at Conolly next Saturday week - Aug 4 hosted by Waratahs because they won the Minor Premiership

Waratahs will play the Winner of the Leeton & Ag College Qualifying Final tomorrow at Conolly - The winner of this Match goes straight to the Grand Final in Week 4 - Aug 18 and gets the hosting rights to the Grand Final (just like Leeton did last year)

The loser of the Leeton v Ag College Final will play the winner of tomorrow's Elimination Final between Tumut & Albury

Week 3 - at Tumut

The loser of the Waraths v Aggies or Leeton match in Week 2 will play the winner of the Aggies or Leeton v Tumut or Albury match in Week 2 in the Preliminary Final

Week 4 - Grand Final - I'll let u work that out

I reckon that Leeton & Albury will win tomorrow, then Waratahs will beat Leeton in Week 2 and go straight into the Grand Final - I reckon Albury will beat Wagga Ag in Week 2 and that will mean that Leeton will play Albury at Tumut in Week 3 to see who plays Waratahs in the Grand Final
My GF prediction is Waratahs v Albury on Aug 18

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
I ‘d have to say typical kartman. Wagga/SIRU admin seem to have always treated some clubs differently to others. Look at the way the Leeton coach was treated compared to this Blacks player.

Whistle Happy

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tumut knocked off Albury 29-25 and Ag College beat Leeton 37-12
Next Saturday - Waratahs v Ag College (Major Semi) and Leeton v Tumut (Minor - Elimination Semi)

tcorcoran

Frank Row (1)
Sounds like bullshit to me.
Just another reason not to waste your time on the daily advertiser.
I am just going to squash this now.

It was purely out of respect that the players weren't to be contacted as most were going to attend the funeral yesterday, that was it. I would be more than happy to speak with the journalist to help build hype around tomorrows big game.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.