1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Southern Inland Rugby 2020

Discussion in 'Club Rugby' started by yourmatesam, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

There can be no excuses from the 'Cutters - they wanted to be with the 'Big Boys' and they got what they wanted but surely SIRU will be watching their early performances very closely
    The actually received a very friendly Draw from SIRU with 2 home games to start the season and then an away game in Wagga against the Reddies who didnt win a match last year
    Maybe they have some Imports coming to the Club which we don't know about yet
  2. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

What would be the outcome of such reviews? I doubt that there would be much that SIRU could or would be able to do. The Board approved Hay to play in the main competition, I reckon it's just about letting them roll on now.

Hopefully, there was some solid discussion, maybe even a request for some player details or a business plan required from both Hay and Deni to show how their season is going to operate?
  3. Bubba Herbert Moran (7)

I'm not sure what a review would actually accomplish once the shouting has started ? I think Hay is going to have a tough year but its really easy to say that in the safety of February. They could suprise us all and be super competitive. Either way we shouldnt be judgemental at this point in time.

From what i gather this was all about their womens rugby. SIRU was quite adamant that you have to field Mens 1st grade in order to play womens 10's in SIRU. Effectively that has forced Hays hand as such.
    yourmatesam likes this.
  4. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Fair Calls Sam & Bubba - but let's just say Deni want to enter a Women's Team next year - that means they automatically go into 1st Grade
    I don't know whether by just wanting to have a Women's Team in the SIRU Comp automatically qualifies a Club to play 1st Grade
    The word around the traps is that more "Cutlets" - (Womens players) are turning up to Training than 'Cutters (The Men)
  5. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

I think these sort of scenarios are part of why having more teams (or options) in the competition is important. Deni have a strong club with arguably more supporters than Hay, maybe they will be the 1st Grade side in 2021?

I suppose that over the years there have been a number of iterations of the competition, the decision has been made now. Let's see how it rolls I guess?

I heard that there are two reasonably handy players from Waratahs heading west to play footy this season.

Also two from Waratahs off to Booroowa, Aggies lose a prop to Cowra and a 5/8 to Cootamundra. The big ins seem to be at CSU this season.
  6. paul bristow Jimmy Flynn (14)

The inclusion of Hay. 3rd in 3rds last season equates to a very long season in 1st grade this year.
    Bart Whiteley likes this.
  7. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

Have you thought of getting in touch with the Community Rugby Manager mate?
  8. yourmatesam Bob Davidson (42)

SIRU will be well represented in the Aussie Men's Sevens team with Dylan Pietsch and Stu Dunbar both picked this weekend. A great effort.
  9. paul bristow Jimmy Flynn (14)

You’re new to this zone I believe Athol. Rep is the elephant in the room in SIRU.
  10. Bubba Herbert Moran (7)

Back end of february and that means trials are not that far away ! Any news on whos going where and against who ?
  11. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Albury have been doing plenty of recruiting in the off season ??
    They are specials to make the Top 4 this year along with Waratahs & Griffith
    Who will take up the final poition in this year's Top 4 ??

Candidates- Ag College, City & Leeton

Non- Candidates- Tumut , CSU & Hay

Still can't understand how Leeton gets to play in a 3rd Grade Competition but not 2nd Grade

Does anyone have a copy of the By Laws which says this can happen - It just doesn't seem to pass the 'Pub Test'
  12. paul bristow Jimmy Flynn (14)

Leeton attempted to field a 2nd grade last season Reasoning but it didn’t work. A 3rd grade might attract a new demographic to the club. The problem with our rep set up Athol is that we are with the Brumbies. Outside of Canberra itself Siru doesn’t have any real worthwhile competition. The Waratahs have the vast majority of the state and don’t want to do rep with us. So we seem to be continually looking for something worthwhile rep wise to do. As usual rugby in Australia shooting itself in the foot.
  13. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Fair point PB but I hope the possible new Demographic to the Club isn't more polynesian players to the Club because they have got plenty already and have really lost their identity

Have Leeton got any local Juniors coming through the ranks ?

They still should be playing 2nd Grade - when Clubs get a choice to what Grade they want to play - Trouble is just around the corner
  14. Bubba Herbert Moran (7)

They still should be playing 2nd Grade - when Clubs get a choice to what Grade they want to play - Trouble is just around the corner

I would have thought Leeton fielding only one grade again would be more trouble than them having 2 grades ? When you force clubs to play above what they may honestly be able to support , thats asking for long term trouble. For the relative short term i dont see a massive issue with this decision. It's easy to take pot shots from the interwebs, buts it bloody hard to keep a club afloat at times. If we have to bend the 'rules' a little to keep rugby alive somewhere then thats what we have to do. Griffith did it a few years back, no one died , did they ?

yourmatesam likes this.
  15. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Fair Point - Re; Leeton playing 3rd Grade- it's happening so let's see the outcome

When Griffith played 3rds a couple of years ago at least Hay filled in for 2nd Grade and didn't disrupt the Competition Draw in 2nds

If my memory is correct don't we have 2 2nd Grade byes each week because of Hay playing 1st Grade & Leeton playing 3rd Grade

What does City have planned Bubba for Pre Season trials etc ?
  16. Bubba Herbert Moran (7)

City is off to Hall in Canberra this weekend. Its a bit of a 3 way set up with Uni/Norths , Hall and ourselves all with 2 grades. We are off to Boorowa at the end of the month as well. There is a vague plan to have an internal trial on the 21st after a planned game fell through due to grounds.

There is 2 byes per week in 2's this year. 6 teams in 3's , 7 in 2's and 9 in 1's and Womens was always going to make for a logistical mess !
  17. paul bristow Jimmy Flynn (14)

Siru as a zone has a lack of media representation. We are aware of the lack of coverage provided by the DA. Should something like a new Facebook page be initiated (not run by Siru itself ) to provide club news, comment on games, opinions, results, predictions etc.
  18. Reasoning Allen Oxlade (6)

Sorry PB - It won't happen
    SIRU Basically expects all the Clubs to promote the game for them via their local news outlets
    The only things that get advertised big time are Girls Comps & Camps
    Nothing wrong with the Females participating but it has been over the top for the past 3 or 4 years
    Nothing on the Website about the Comp other than the Draw
    Apparently the DA & SIRU fell out of love with each other in recent years
    I know ABC Radio covers the Zone's fixtures each Saturday morning but that's about it for promotion of the Competition
    in the old days Newspapers chased stories now the organisations have to present them to the Newspapers
  19. Maulalltheway Larry Dwyer (12)

Right. Few points from me. Simply my opinion. Apart from the stats which are facts.

Last 20 DA articles are focused on the following.
    Development officer once,
    Draw twice,
    Super W reps once,
    Girls rugby twice,
    Mens Rugby 14 times.

Last 50 posts on the facebook page
    Schools, Junior and Junior rep 14 times
    SIRU News 8 times
    Brumbies news 8 times
    Super W 5 times
    Mens footy 4 times
    Girls camp 4 times
    Coaching and ref development 3 times
    Development officer ad and appointment 2 times
    Aus 7s 1 time
    Player development (Via a sponsor) 1 time.

id say that your comment that girls comps and camps being over the top is inaccurate.

Website is average at best, agree.

From what ive heard the DA tries to contact clubs, not often do they get return calls and regularly get fed BS stories and inaccuracies. So i disagree with the papers not chasing stories.

SIRU Facebook haven't re-posted a single article from the DA since December 5 (i looked back that far) whilst DA reported 10 articles in that period.

Perhaps you'd be willing to establish something to bring it up to scratch?
  20. paul bristow Jimmy Flynn (14)

Interesting & impressive research Mauler. Can you present some idea or ideas of a way of bringing it up to scratch.