• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies: Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patto

What has Mortlock done, He buried SBW...(everyone in the evil 13 man game cheered), he has not been outplayed this year and I think he is looking to bury a few green jumpers on saturday. He is not finesse but in the going gets tough class he is up there. He is a couple of years away from his use by date.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Morné seems to be of the Quade/Beale school of five-eighth tackling and JdV didn't seem up to scratch. Would like to see big Morty and Cliffy rumble through that channel a few times.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Jac Fourie will mark him. Also expectin Jean to target the Gitts , Barnes chanel but with either Hynes or Michell in 15 you can expect the high kick and chase from the Bokke.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gagger said:
Morné seems to be of the Quade/Beale school of five-eighth tackling and JdV didn't seem up to scratch. Would like to see big Morty and Cliffy rumble through that channel a few times.

Nah. He has better defense than them. Fell off two tackles in the second AB test but during the Super 14 his defense was very good. In the Lions series during the second test he pulled off an amazing try saving tackle immediately after he came on.

Worried about JdV who has looked right off the pace and slipped a few, also in the Lions series.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry Skotman, my mistake, Blue helped me out, should be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Still the keyman.

Raining and wet at the moment by hopefull by saturday we'll have good weather.

George Smith get the chop
SARugby.com
Wallaby fetcher George Smith has made some special preparation for the Tri-Nations Test against the Springboks at Newlands on Saturday – by cutting his hair.

The Wallaby stalwart underwent a makeover of sorts for Saturday’s showdown by cutting his hair to prevent the Boks from pulling it out.

"Yeah, I had it cut because too many South African players were pulling it (in the past)," admitted Smith, who recently earned his 100th Test cap for Australia.

"I heard they (the Boks) had a good bit (of hair) a few years back and I thought now was a good time to get it off."

Smith was alluding to the 2004 season, when reports surfaced that the Springbok players – with a certain loose forward as the alleged instigator – had a playful ‘price on Smith’s head’.

That price was said to be $100 (then R550), payable to the player who returned to the locker room with one of Smith’s dreadlocks after the Tri-Nations Test in Perth.

On a serious note, Smith said his aim for Saturday’s clash will be to steer clear of incurring the referee’s wrath. “I always play to the referee, he's the boss in the middle so I try and get on his good side as much as possible," said Smith.

"Referees differ in different situations. You have to be aware of what the referee is saying and then make sure that you are playing within his laws and the laws of the game. On Saturday, there will be nothing different in my aspect of playing. I'll be playing to the laws of the game."

The Australians would be wise to adopt Smith's thoughts on how to go about working the rucks and mauls for fear that they could be punished as severely as New Zealand were in last Saturday's Test in Durban.

The All Blacks' offences in Durban eventually contributed no less than 24 points in the Boks' 31-19 victory after flyhalf Morne Steyn banged over eight out of nine penalty attempts.

“It has become almost common practice nowadays for referees to vary the way they patrol the breakdown points from one week to another, much to the irritation of players and coaches alike.

"It (the way the referee blows at the breakdowns) can be frustrating if you allow it (to frustrate you)," Smith explained. You have to quickly adapt to the situation and make sure that you're on song. You have to allow the referee do his job in the middle.

"The thing is, you can control what your emotions are doing out there and make sure you do things right to the best of your ability. If you allow your frustrations to creep in and continue like that throughout the game who won't be playing the game you should be playing."

The Springboks, who staged a hugely impressive performance in Durban, have drawn wide scale praise and the Wallabies face a daunting task of trying to stop the John Smit-led juggernaut.

Smith, however, feels that the Australians are clear on what should be done at Newlands on Saturday. "You have be competitive on your own set-piece and then try and stop as much ball when it’s the turn of the Springboks," said Smith.

"We have to make sure we execute our set-pieces well. When you get an opportunity, disrupt play in their area and take advantage. That (the set-pieces) has been their (the Boks') strength, as well as their physicality in games. We just have to disrupt that, that's all."

The Australians were last in action on July 18, when they suffered a 22-16 defeat at the hands of New Zealand in Auckland, while the Springboks have just played two matches in consecutive weeks.

This has raised a debate that the Aussies, after a three-week lay-off, may not be as sharp on match day, and that the Springboks may be feeling the burden of back-to-back Tests against the All Blacks.

"It's true that the Wallabies have not been playing for three weeks but many of the players have been in action with club football, although that is not at Test level," said Smith.

"Over the past three weeks we've been training particularly hard in Sydney and the boys won't be underdone. The important thing is that everyone has an understanding of what we need to do in this game in Cape Town.

"We've come here early and the squad have recovered from the flight. The Boks won't be fatigued. They are special players and they will recover as they should after the two Tests, and then they'll have a three-week break coming up."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Sorry Skotman, my mistake, Blue helped me out, should be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Still the keyman.

Raining and wet at the moment by hopefull by saturday we'll have good weather.

George Smith get the chop
SARugby.com
Wallaby fetcher George Smith has made some special preparation for the Tri-Nations Test against the Springboks at Newlands on Saturday – by cutting his hair.

The Wallaby stalwart underwent a makeover of sorts for Saturday’s showdown by cutting his hair to prevent the Boks from pulling it out.

"Yeah, I had it cut because too many South African players were pulling it (in the past)," admitted Smith, who recently earned his 100th Test cap for Australia.

"I heard they (the Boks) had a good bit (of hair) a few years back and I thought now was a good time to get it off."

Smith was alluding to the 2004 season, when reports surfaced that the Springbok players – with a certain loose forward as the alleged instigator – had a playful ‘price on Smith’s head’.

That price was said to be $100 (then R550), payable to the player who returned to the locker room with one of Smith’s dreadlocks after the Tri-Nations Test in Perth.

On a serious note, Smith said his aim for Saturday’s clash will be to steer clear of incurring the referee’s wrath. “I always play to the referee, he's the boss in the middle so I try and get on his good side as much as possible," said Smith.

"Referees differ in different situations. You have to be aware of what the referee is saying and then make sure that you are playing within his laws and the laws of the game. On Saturday, there will be nothing different in my aspect of playing. I'll be playing to the laws of the game."

The Australians would be wise to adopt Smith's thoughts on how to go about working the rucks and mauls for fear that they could be punished as severely as New Zealand were in last Saturday's Test in Durban.

The All Blacks' offences in Durban eventually contributed no less than 24 points in the Boks' 31-19 victory after flyhalf Morne Steyn banged over eight out of nine penalty attempts.

“It has become almost common practice nowadays for referees to vary the way they patrol the breakdown points from one week to another, much to the irritation of players and coaches alike.

"It (the way the referee blows at the breakdowns) can be frustrating if you allow it (to frustrate you)," Smith explained. You have to quickly adapt to the situation and make sure that you're on song. You have to allow the referee do his job in the middle.

"The thing is, you can control what your emotions are doing out there and make sure you do things right to the best of your ability. If you allow your frustrations to creep in and continue like that throughout the game who won't be playing the game you should be playing."

The Springboks, who staged a hugely impressive performance in Durban, have drawn wide scale praise and the Wallabies face a daunting task of trying to stop the John Smit-led juggernaut.

Smith, however, feels that the Australians are clear on what should be done at Newlands on Saturday. "You have be competitive on your own set-piece and then try and stop as much ball when it’s the turn of the Springboks," said Smith.

"We have to make sure we execute our set-pieces well. When you get an opportunity, disrupt play in their area and take advantage. That (the set-pieces) has been their (the Boks') strength, as well as their physicality in games. We just have to disrupt that, that's all."

The Australians were last in action on July 18, when they suffered a 22-16 defeat at the hands of New Zealand in Auckland, while the Springboks have just played two matches in consecutive weeks.

This has raised a debate that the Aussies, after a three-week lay-off, may not be as sharp on match day, and that the Springboks may be feeling the burden of back-to-back Tests against the All Blacks.

"It's true that the Wallabies have not been playing for three weeks but many of the players have been in action with club football, although that is not at Test level," said Smith.

"Over the past three weeks we've been training particularly hard in Sydney and the boys won't be underdone. The important thing is that everyone has an understanding of what we need to do in this game in Cape Town.

"We've come here early and the squad have recovered from the flight. The Boks won't be fatigued. They are special players and they will recover as they should after the two Tests, and then they'll have a three-week break coming up."

As pointed out on the dark forum this article is in error. GS chopped his hair off years ago. Shoot the journo.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PB,

You are right about it being important for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to go well under the high ball although it was Mitchell on the wing who was the worst offender vs the ABs. I think we will see him start again though – I think Hynes is better in this aspect, but not as good as some here are saying.

If we man up like we did a few years ago when we went down to Steyn's drop goals, then we can win, otherwise it will be SA by around 12 I reckon.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll be honest that I really don't know what to expect in this game.

Neither the Lions nor the ABs have played a clever game against the Boks. A good kicking game, with very good kick returns and chase, intent to move the ball quickly away from the recycles to minimise turnovers, and minimising penalties.

If the Wallabies can do that they are a big chance. If they play like the did for the last 30 in Auckland and the Bosk are on song they will get hammered.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's pulling off the leccy tape aint he?

Why he has it on in the first place is the question.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
shmoo - "hey fuse, i DO feel meaner with this stuff on!"

big al - (giggling) "yeah mate, dirtier than a mungo circlewank."

shmoo - "aww thanks al. are you sure there's no risk of it cutting off circulation to the follicles?"

big al - "huh?"

shmoo - "nevermind. better to be safe than unmarketable i always say.

(humming to himself) fame! i'm gonna live forever...."

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dont see the Wallaby team here somewhere but here it is unchange
Australia team: 15-Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14-Lachie Turner, 13-Stirling Mortlock (captain), 12-Berrick Barnes, 11-Drew Mitchell, 10-Matt Giteau, 9-Luke Burgess, 8-Wycliff Palu, 7-George Smith, 6-Richard Brown, 5-Nathan Sharpe, 4-James Horwill, 3-Al Baxter, 2-Stephen Moore, 1-Benn Robinson

Replacements: 16-Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17-Ben Alexander, 18-Dean Mumm, 19-David Pocock, 20-Will Genia, 21-Peter Hynes, 22-James O'Connor

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not quite unchanged, PB. Looks like Waugh has been dropped to make way for Hynes on the bench - going back to the 4/3 split.

Status
Not open for further replies.