• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies: Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scotty said:
Not quite unchanged, PB. Looks like Waugh has been dropped to make way for Hynes on the bench - going back to the 4/3 split.

Yeah. Good move I think. Wouldn't mind Hynes starting with Turner on the wings in the next few games if Mitchell keeps failing to take the high balls.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He is better than Mitchell was against the ABs, but I don't consider his high ball ability worthy of discussion as a selection reason. I think Mitchell has been pretty good, and a lot stronger in contact that previously - probably more likely to win a game for us than Hynes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hynes has little form this year to justify replacing Mitchell unfortunately. Last year Hyne was the first wing selected,

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:
He is better than Mitchell was against the ABs, but I don't consider his high ball ability worthy of discussion as a selection reason. I think Mitchell has been pretty good, and a lot stronger in contact that previously - probably more likely to win a game for us than Hynes.

bang on. I maintain he's our back most likely to go the length of the field.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hynes being on the bench is a better selection than Waugh on the bench, I have a feeling that Deans will actually use the bench this week as we have every position well covered.

I'm hoping to see Genia & Alexander join the battle early in the 2nd half & Deans clear out the whole bench by the last 10-15 minutes so these players can have a real impact.

If we are chasing the game then I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) come on for Barnes & Hynes come on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with Mitchell moved to fullback if we are defending a lead then I'd prefer Mitchell off & Hynes on in a straight swap with JOC (James O'Connor) to watch the match from the bench.

probably more likely to win a game for us than Hynes.

Agreed he's more likely to win a game if we're chasing but there is a flipside to Drew Mitchell & that he is also the bloke that could lose you a game when you need a big tackle or a cool head on a clearing kick.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Turner is probably in that category as well - but you'd expect that of your wings.

Agreed he's more likely to win a game if we're chasing but there is a flipside to Drew Mitchell & that he is also the bloke that could lose you a game when you need a big tackle or a cool head on a clearing kick.

I think he has improved in these areas, so is also less likely to lose us a game than before.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good news this morning clear skies this side and will stay all long weekend. From a Springbok supporter point of view I am delighted not see Waugh or Cross in your them or on the bench. Have my own huge amount of respect for that two players, specially Waugh's experiense.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
On the Rugby club last night, Big Jim admitted that the 5-2 split last week left them in the lurch when Barnes got injured. He said it like they were surprised. :nta:

G

Gil

I guess wallabies get some real chance to win that one because
1) still ashamed to have lost to Abs
2) boks made 5 big games in a row ( lions+ Abs)
3) emotional point of view ( deans lost his father)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Gil said:
I guess wallabies get some real chance to win that one because
2) boks made 5 big games in a row ( lions+ Abs)
This team actually played 4. The 3rd test was a different one and they had a few weeks rest in between the seriesse. Myself think this favour them a bit. These guys are use to play week in week out S14 rugby and surely the Boks are on a roll now.

G

Gil

don't get me wrong ...I didn't say wallabies are favourite ...boks games against Abs were very impressive , outclassing them in almost all aspect of a rugby game.

G

Gil

non ...I am both fan of les bleus and wallabies since 1991 world cup.

G

Gil

an ozzie playing for london french ...don't you know about greg andrews ?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
am i the only one that would prefer o'connor to not be there at all, as much as i dnt rate cross, i would have him ahead of james against the saffas, if oconnor couldnt handle the blacks, he aint gonna do crap against the boks!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
O'Connor would cover the inside backs. Cross doesn't really do that. Morty could slide in, but that is not a particularly creative centre pairing. But I sort of agree with you I wonder why they are investing so much now and not letting him develop like a normal teenager.

Would have liked to see Tyrone Smith get some Wallaby time to see how he went.

S

Spook

Sully said:
Would have liked to see Tyrone Smith get some Wallaby time to see how he went.

hmmm...hard running 12 with great feet. Gits will show how good or bad T Smith is. What I liked about T Smith is that his defense was very good by the end of the S14 this year. His distribution game is a bit off though.

S

Spook

Little chip kicks over the Bok rush defense will bother them. F Steyn must be antagonised.

Oz will be up for this. It's going to be very close and a tough match. F du Preez needs to be taken out of the game (legally) by good pressure at the breakdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.