• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies: Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well done to the Boks. I agree with Naza that its insane to kick the ball back to the opposition all the time though. Barnes might have a great boot, but I'd like to see a little bit more Nathan Grey in him. The defence knows we are going to kick it or spread it very wide. We dont seem to play in that channel around 10/12 much. Its either inside it or outside it.

Scrum was good, Robinson was good, Smith was good, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was good, O'Connor did well...

Too tired to analyse fully, but pretty disappointed with that result.

S

Spook

naza said:
Burgess is fine, always has been.

No actually he has always been shit and continues to be shit. Backline and kicking far better when Genia was on the pitch.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
naza said:
Summary: No surprises tactically. Wallabies got dejected when the Boks recovered from 0-7 and got their noses in front in the dullest of ways. Heads bowed, shoulders slumped. They simply quit. Gave up. Waved the white flag. The Boks picked up momentum and out enthused us.

The crux of the problem ? A reluctance to roll up the sleeves and do the hard yakka. Kick but no chase. We love to pilfer at the breakdown but take our sweet time when the opposition is there. We don't have the patience to build our attack, its all miracle plays. So the midfield kick all our good pill or place pressure on ourselves with lateral play. And in the contact areas, other than scrum, we simply did not want to know.
Just back for Newlands, way to easy for the Bokke, your team look like ending wooden spoon, hey, pure kak and the scary thing the Bokke even havent hit their strips.

Pure kak I agree yet we scored 2 tries to 1 and won the second half. Looking forward to seeing the Boks in Australia. They are generally kak there. I think Australia have more improvement to make than the Boks. Being disciplined is a start.

Every time the Aussies got the ball in the Saffa 22 they seemed to be about to score. The Saffa defense is not solid after a few phases.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Spook said:
naza said:

No actually he has always been shit and continues to be shit. Backline and kicking far better when Genia was on the pitch.

what did genia actually do in his twenty or so minutes that was so great?once again, he had alot more clean ball than burgess cos the boks started to defend there lead, but dispite the ball we had, we never had one good set piece play and i cant recall him making metres on his own or putting someone through a gap, his crisp passing led to us going side to side or kicking long, there was no great structure change in the second half at all from any subs, just a relaxed boks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I disagree, Aus had to kick for field position. We didn't do it enough in the first half.

You can't play the Boks from inside your own half. They just convert their pressure into points too easily.

The approach was right, the execution wasn't great.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree with spook 100%.
For two games in a row the Aust backline has looked better with genia on the field.
his passing gets bodies in motion and puts players on the front foot.
in games like last night burgo shouldn't be trying to make meters on his own because when he does we get smashed and there's a turn over.
when did burgo up anyone through a gap or put up a great box kick?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. I think Genia starting and Luke off the bench is a combo worth considering.

We need a 6 too. Who? Mowen? Chapman? Higgers?

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Geez Gits charge of FDP was poor. Lucky to only recieve a yellow. You cant defend whatever he was trying to do, although I'm sure if he was wearing green PB would find a way.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just back for Newlands, way to easy for the Bokke, your team look like ending wooden spoon, hey, pure kak and the scary thing the Bokke even havent hit their strips.

I woudn't start spruking just yet Paarlbok, you've had three home games & not one bonus point the Boks ability to find the try line must be of concern especilly when attacking against 13 men for 9 minutes.

Yeah the Wallabies have been bumbling along I don't deny that & they are the masters of letting a lead go but I'm confident we can do the double against your lot back on home soil.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
The Wallabies only have themelves to blame. I thought the reffing was the best we've seen in the tri-nations so far, there were some ridiculous plays from Australia and they deserved to lose.

The turning point was the three horrible passes in a row, The wobbs got frustrated after that and gave away stupid penalties and were punished. The forwards looked like it was he first time they played together in the first half, although the scrum was excellent.

Thought Burgess wasn't playing as badly as some have said, he was solid and not afraid to get involved. The bench were all good and played like you'd want from them, although I was hoping to see Hynes given a run at some time. Turner still hasn't won me over, with his potential he has to go looking for the ball more.

Barnes made some very stupid choices. He's not playing positively enough and backing his team to get the job done.

Good win to the boks.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

His service is shit he should be on the bench in Sydney.

Barnes made some very stupid choices. He's not playing positively enough and backing his team to get the job done.

Barnes strikes me as a flyhalf who wants his side to play ten man rugby which is great if your a Saffa or a Pom but doesn't really go well in OZ.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
cheezel said:
The Wallabies only have themelves to blame. I thought the reffing was the best we've seen in the tri-nations so far, there were some ridiculous plays from Australia and they deserved to lose.

Yeah, the bitterness is starting to fade so I can be more objective now (miracles never cease).

We knew exactly what the Boks would do. There was no ambush. They executed better. We couldn't match them for intensity, workrate, discipline, or urgency. The kick chase sums it up. We kick but don't chase in numbers and apply pressure. They get there in numbers and force the mistake. They contest everything while we're picky about which breakdown we feel like committing to. Our guys need to stop feeling sorry for themselves and concentrate on doing what needs to be done to win the various battles that win you the game.

As for the Bok, if they ever get their ball handling together, look out !

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
You're lucky the Boks haven't hit their sraps, if they couldn't get a bonus point win tonight then they never will. Good luck away from home.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm surprised Smit didn't get a yellow for going the Hopoate on Giteau

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2009-08-09-15h23m55.jpg
    vlcsnap-2009-08-09-15h23m55.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 225

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
disco said:
I woudn't start spruking just yet Paarlbok, you've had three home games & not one bonus point the Boks ability to find the try line must be of concern especilly when attacking against 13 men for 9 minutes.

Yeah the Wallabies have been bumbling along I don't deny that & they are the masters of letting a lead go but I'm confident we can do the double against your lot back on home soil.
Sure we are not playing even close to what we can produce, was more having a go at the poster saying we will get beaten by at least 30.

The Bokke will go on tour with confidense and will know one win and they have their one hand on the 3 Nations. Honestly the way they play the last 3 tests, it will take a lot more from the All Blacks & Wallabies to knock them over.

Taak this photo yesterday at the test. The SA TV player 23 Jan (he is actually a soutie and cant speak Boer) with 2 REAL Janne , myself and the Brute kid and my boy Janlu nbefore the test. Love taking that Brute kiddie with me to Newlands and actuall defending him from the Newlands faithfull traitor.

Photo-0002.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Boks are currently playing 'world cup rugby' - Bok, Puma and England style. If the world cup was this year, they would undoubtedly win it. It is very dissappointing when a kick and chase attack plan is the best way to win a game, and says to me there still needs to be a lot of thought done about the rules of this game of ours.

Credit to the Boks though, they have a game plan that works for them, is low risk and they are executing it very well. The only thing I can say against it is they will struggle if they find themselves behind in a match with 10-15 to go and needing to score tries.

My bitch about the ref for this game is that he is just too pedantic. He needs to stop thinking the crowd is there to see him - I'd say at least 6 penalties he blew did not warrant penalties, and the team that got the penalty had the ball anyway. Boks probably also were lucky not to be called for going off their feet a bit more, particularly in their chasing of bombs.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
louie said:
Agree with spook 100%.
For two games in a row the Aust backline has looked better with genia on the field.
his passing gets bodies in motion and puts players on the front foot.
in games like last night burgo shouldn't be trying to make meters on his own because when he does we get smashed and there's a turn over.
when did burgo up anyone through a gap or put up a great box kick?

im not having a go at genia, i rate him, just dont think he is there yet.
but in reality, during the kiwi test he played eight minutes, we didnt go forward at all, we just went side to side. last night, by the time he came on the springboks were defending a lead and he got probably as much if not more ball than burgess had in the last twenty five that burgess did for the first fifty. his passing didnt really seem to put much in motion at all, we had more room to wrok with while he was on the field, i dont think we did anything with that ball, and that second try was just lazy defending, if anything australia did there best to buthcer it. i think genia will be the starter sooner or later but i think there is alot of love floating around that if genia was starting and burgo came on with ten to go and produced the same performance, wouldnt exist

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
My bitch about the ref for this game is that he is just too pedantic. He needs to stop thinking the crowd is there to see him - I'd say at least 6 penalties he blew did not warrant penalties, and the team that got the penalty had the ball anyway. Boks probably also were lucky not to be called for going off their feet a bit more, particularly in their chasing of bombs.
You start to make a habit now of whining, Rolland was more then decend yesterday.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Bokke will go on tour with confidense and will know one win and they have their one hand on the 3 Nations. Honestly the way they play the last 3 tests, it will take a lot more from the All Blacks & Wallabies to knock them over.

Well that's it really, the Boks have actually done the tough part & that is win all thier home games as the 3 teams are expected so all they need now is a either a win or some bonus points & the trophy is heading to the republic.

They'll target Perth as must win cup final type of game & try to wrap up the tri-nations right then & there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yep thats the one, the next one. Sydney should be interesting first up for the Wallabies and you lot are under some pressure at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.