• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springbokke vs Wallabies: Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i was noticing how many pairings there currently are in the boks XV.

entire front row is from the sharks, as well as the reserve prop. (beast, bismark, smit, jannie)

the locks are both from the bulls, with a reserve from them as well. (bakkies, matfield, roussow)

both flankers are from the cheetahs. (smith and brussow)

the scrummie and flyhalf are both from the bulls as well. and the 8 for scrum set play. (FdP, morne, spies)

heaps of continuity in vital areas there that stems from super14 play and i can't help but think it makes life somewhat easier for them. they should know what to expect of each other. maybe their underperforming mixed backline hasn't clicked as well in comparison because of this? i doubt it, but it's a thought....

of course i guess the downside is that if you don't like the bloke, you're stuck with him all year round :p

wallabies and AB sides much more mixed than this as i recall.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
I'd back Mitchell scoring a full length try as well, hopefully him and Turner can both get one though.
I think we have a real chance of winning this if the boys all step up to the occasion.
Either way, it should be a great game.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i thought it was 1am, but seven says its starting telecast is at 1130, so it must be midnight, surely were not going to get 1 1/2 hours of build up.

i think Oconnor would be better served at club rugby for now, let him develop, against the all blacks he looked like a kid against men, if it happens again it could destroy him. gotta deflate the ego (not saying he has an ego problem, saying all athletes have ego)

we played a whole spring tour with mort at 12, barnes and gits can cover each other, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can come into 12 and 13 as well if mitchell drops back and hynes comes on the wing so having him there isnt a need.

the boks will test him if he comes on, if he fails to live up to the hype then we need to think about it for sydney.

same goes with pocock, with the exception of italy i would like to see him actually hold his ground at international level, think i am just so use to smith that pocock makes me nervous for the future. he can go missing with ease while smith never seems to take a break, hopefully it comes with time.

also if its close in the last ten and genia is on, after watching the replay, (and im not saying it was his fault) would be nice to see us go forward instead of just flinging it wide and hoping!

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
the refing in the last 5 min was horrible. Sa throwing forward passes and grabbing our halfback on the ground.

Australia have done ok WHEN we have the ball.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Halftime. Ugh.

Great start. Downhill from there. Our guys looked to be demoralised by the way in which the Bokke got the lead, and are bottling it. The usual culprits - Sharpe, Giteau - choking under pressure.

Rolland not helping with his pedantic calls and turning a blind eye to Brussow coming in at the side of every breakdown. We seem to get penalised after the Boks commit 3 infringements. Bizarre. Almost as bizarre as Giteau and Barnes' determination to gift possession to the opposition. Something I've long criticised them for on here.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i dont think the ref is the problem, the team has no plan.
burgess is actually playing well imo,
sharpe and moore are having a shocker both in comunication at the set piece and around the ground, there not hitting the middle of rucks, were trying to turn them round.
brussou (spell?) is on fire. our forward pack is pretty much just smith and daylight.

less said about gits and brown the better, two stupid penalties, both as dumb as each other, just on the gits one though, if your going to hit someone, make sure they stay down son, bloody kiwi coaching!

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
waratahjesus said:
i dont think the ref is the problem, the team has no plan.
burgess is actually playing well imo,
sharpe and moore are having a shocker both in comunication at the set piece and around the ground, there not hitting the middle of rucks, were trying to turn them round.
brussou (spell?) is on fire. our forward pack is pretty much just smith and daylight.

less said about gits and brown the better, two stupid penalties, both as dumb as each other, just on the gits one though, if your going to hit someone, make sure they stay down son, bloody kiwi coaching!

No composure I'd say.

Burgess is fine, always has been.

Moore and Baxter have shown up to play. Sharpe is doing his usual 'wait for it..' routine with his lineout calling which always kills us.

With so many penalties, our pack doesn't want to commit to anything because they'll get pinged for breathing on someone next.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Summary: No surprises tactically. Wallabies got dejected when the Boks recovered from 0-7 and got their noses in front in the dullest of ways. Heads bowed, shoulders slumped. They simply quit. Gave up. Waved the white flag. The Boks picked up momentum and out enthused us.

The crux of the problem ? A reluctance to roll up the sleeves and do the hard yakka. Kick but no chase. We love to pilfer at the breakdown but take our sweet time when the opposition is there. We don't have the patience to build our attack, its all miracle plays. So the midfield kick all our good pill or place pressure on ourselves with lateral play. And in the contact areas, other than scrum, we simply did not want to know.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Moses said:
News just in: Boks scared of Wallabies scrum. Discuss.

They were probably just worn out from all that sealing off of ball at the breakdown.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
naza said:

bullshit.
Australias backline had a more ball and we where more in the game when genia came on. Burgess should be benched.

what we learned:

- changing it up can really work. i was really impressed with how dean used the bench. it changed the game. mum, pocock, o'connor, Ben Alexander (who said he can't be a tight?), Genia were all outstanding.
- we need a plan B. not mortlock goes off who replaces him but a different direction in thinking. the boks put up the bombs why can't we? Australia has a massive problem of arrogantly plugging away at the same idea and same line up.

i think deans need to make some changes. I think sharpes days are over. besides the lineout he doesn't offer anything. Mum, Chisholm or Kimlin bring a lot more to the side.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
also,
i thought we played a lot better then in auckland. more heart and great fightback.

that first try was a clue to what Australia needs to be doing everytime they get 50 out.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Our back three improved a lot since our last outing, took pretty much every bomb cleanly the saffas threw at us, Mitchell alot better than 3 weeks ago, O'Connor also fairly solid when he came on.
we lost 9 of our own line outs, thats just ridiculous... 9!....
And 3 yellow cards, thats unheard of for Aussie rugby practically.
To many gift penalties for the freak Morne to slot over... luckily Frans wasn't on song...
Pitiful display...
Might still be the beer talking though...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
louie said:
naza said:

bullshit.
Australias backline had a more ball and we where more in the game when genia came on. Burgess should be benched.

what we learned:

- changing it up can really work. i was really impressed with how dean used the bench. it changed the game. mum, pocock, o'connor, Ben Alexander (who said he can't be a tight?), Genia were all outstanding.
- we need a plan B. not mortlock goes off who replaces him but a different direction in thinking. the boks put up the bombs why can't we? Australia has a massive problem of arrogantly plugging away at the same idea and same line up.

i think deans need to make some changes. I think sharpes days are over. besides the lineout he doesn't offer anything. Mum, Chisholm or Kimlin bring a lot more to the side.

sorry, think the word "outstanding" might be overused there. genia was solid, but he also came on when the springboks started defending there lead, the early ball was dominated by the boks and burgess had a very good game both cleaning out and his passing, credit were its due. Genia didnt do anything "outstanding" he just played solid.

benn robinson deserves a knighthood, shape was a liability tonight, i can handle him getting picked when the lineouts go well, but his set piece work was terrible and deserves punishment.

mumm was the only reserve that really stood out to me, TPN was a bit of a worry, alexander was good but it was at loose that we were winning scrums. was pocock playing in the centres? and im glad Oconnor had a good game, as i said ealier if he failed here he had to be out of the 22.

dissapointing night, but the boks have proven over the last month or so how good they are, dispite being dull, i found it funny they went for the try with 5 minutes to go, then when smith gets sinbinned and they have a man advantage with a minute to go five in front they go for the goal, strange.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
naza said:
Summary: No surprises tactically. Wallabies got dejected when the Boks recovered from 0-7 and got their noses in front in the dullest of ways. Heads bowed, shoulders slumped. They simply quit. Gave up. Waved the white flag. The Boks picked up momentum and out enthused us.

The crux of the problem ? A reluctance to roll up the sleeves and do the hard yakka. Kick but no chase. We love to pilfer at the breakdown but take our sweet time when the opposition is there. We don't have the patience to build our attack, its all miracle plays. So the midfield kick all our good pill or place pressure on ourselves with lateral play. And in the contact areas, other than scrum, we simply did not want to know.
Just back for Newlands, way to easy for the Bokke, your team look like ending wooden spoon, hey, pure kak and the scary thing the Bokke even havent hit their strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.