• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Buckley was superb compared to Healy. Three times in the first half, he was in the foetal position, on his knees, in a scrum. Best was no better. Meant Bismarck could come in under and pop Buckley (which is why Beast looked so much better). To his credit, Buckley took Beast up with him, which stopped the drive. Healy, though - fuck me. Watch the first half scrums; they were just embarrassing from him.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Flush the dunny and move on, forwards take a bow nothing much else to report. Gave Ireland a sniff when Side show Bob coked up. Other than that should have been a grind out routine win the way the forward pack dominated the Irish.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bok pack was yster as expected. Put FdP behind this one and we will make a killing. Frans will give us a lot of options

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bok pack was yster as expected. Put FdP behind this one and we will make a killing. Frans will give us a lot of options

Paarl who would you play against the Welsh?

I would like to see:

Aplon, Mvovo, Habana
Jdv, Steyn
Lambie
Hougaard

Kanko, Daniel, Juan
Bakkies, Vic
Jannie, Moerseboot,Beast

Bring vd Merwe and Alberts on quite early.

Maybe Ruaan at 9. I must say he was good.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paarl who would you play against the Welsh?

It'll be interesting to see how the Welsh fair without scrum dominance. I think it's a fairly even matchup, considering both sides have had to shake up their backline.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It'll be interesting to see how the Welsh fair without scrum dominance. I think it's a fairly even matchup, considering both sides have had to shake up their backline.

the Bokke just need to use their bench better and we will break them.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bismarc makes a big difference to the Boks he's a beast & when fully fit he has to be one of the best forwards in world rugby.

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
Congrats to the Boks. A well deserved win and while we made it close, it shouldnt have been really. Your forwards deserved a 10-15 point win.

Buckley was superb compared to Healy.
Unbelievable. Even Munsterfans recognise it was Buckley who folded. Healy was poor no doubt, but Buckley was out of his depth. Popping up all day long, caught twice in a row for early engagements. If Poite was refereeing he would have been in the bin. Court came on and the scrum held steady, thats all you need to see.

Oh and care to explain what happened to Mick O'Driscolls lineout organisation skills? Not one shortened lineout, no throwing to 2? He'll never see a green jersey again thank fook.

As for the game itself. The boks simply beat the shite out of our pack, ripped our lineout to shreds and fed off our never ending mistakes. They had enough ball to win two games but they kept us in it by making silly mistakes at the wrong time. No doubt who deserved to win the game though.

A day later, having watched it again but I still cant see any positives really. maybe D Ryan (impressed me I have to say), Ferris carried well, and Stringer had a real impact.

On the other side Buckley, Best, Healy, DOC, and MOD were all extremely poor. Reddan was without doubt the worst back on the pitch though Kearney wasnt far behing (is looking far to limited for international rugby). Heaslip and Wallace just played poor.

Thats six losses in a row and Irish rugby is in serious trouble. We havent been this low since the last world cup, and while back then we knew we had players coming through, we dont have that optimism now.

So very dissapointed in the performance, not so much the result.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Hooker calls the engage, dear heart. You do know that, yes?

And if you loosehead gets busted, instantly, the TH takes out the hooker. Which means the hooker can then go in with the LH and start popping. At which stage, you bring him up with you, or drop it. If the ref pings dropping, take him up with you; it stops the drive.

We were also throwing it to 2. However, there was a rather large 6'8" gentleman there, and a scrum-half who was, not to put too fine a point on it, shite. When he did get ball from 2, it was scrambled; and the then decided it would be a good thing to give it to Juan Smith. Tidy.

However, for four overthrows, that's the hooker's fault. Not least because even when it was being called to Heaslip - who managed to drop at least one clean ball in the lineout - Best made a hames of it.

Kearney was completely at fault for Aplon's try, having ball watched.

You were told this would happen three days ago, and proclaimed it wouldn't. It did. You were spouting about how it would be easy, 15 points. FFS, have the grace to man up and admit you were horribly, horribly wrong.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to the Boks. A well deserved win and while we made it close, it shouldnt have been really. Your forwards deserved a 10-15 point win.

Unbelievable. Even Munsterfans recognise it was Buckley who folded. Healy was poor no doubt, but Buckley was out of his depth. Popping up all day long, caught twice in a row for early engagements. If Poite was refereeing he would have been in the bin. Court came on and the scrum held steady, thats all you need to see.

Oh and care to explain what happened to Mick O'Driscolls lineout organisation skills? Not one shortened lineout, no throwing to 2? He'll never see a green jersey again thank fook.

As for the game itself. The boks simply beat the shite out of our pack, ripped our lineout to shreds and fed off our never ending mistakes. They had enough ball to win two games but they kept us in it by making silly mistakes at the wrong time. No doubt who deserved to win the game though.

A day later, having watched it again but I still cant see any positives really. maybe D Ryan (impressed me I have to say), Ferris carried well, and Stringer had a real impact.

On the other side Buckley, Best, Healy, DOC, and MOD were all extremely poor. Reddan was without doubt the worst back on the pitch though Kearney wasnt far behing (is looking far to limited for international rugby). Heaslip and Wallace just played poor.

Thats six losses in a row and Irish rugby is in serious trouble. We havent been this low since the last world cup, and while back then we knew we had players coming through, we dont have that optimism now.

So very dissapointed in the performance, not so much the result.
Boet I told you the Bokke have their best pack for this one compare to what we had all year. I'll settle for this pack comes WC 2011 time. We did not had
Beast: Altho Guthro Steenkamp SA Player of year had a good one, the Beast simply add a lot more. Scrum better and a sight with ball in hand. Ask those who attend the test on saturday.
Bismarck. Agree to Disco qoute. World class , he can do the fetcher job on his own and the best scrummager nr2 in world rugby. He kept three opposition players busy for 80 minutes.
Bakkies. He had a very good test and if he plays rugby you'd struggle to find a better lock in world rugby.
Stegman. Not known by many but its wasnt about Steggies , it was more about a fetcher flanker. We felt his loss immediately when they replaced him. You dont see him being flashy because he do his job in the dark side of rugby. Something you lot clearly dont have in your fancy name loosies.
Juan Smith: Find it surprisingly to see some Iere rating Wallace above Juan. We missed this player in the away leg of the Tri Nation and world class without a doubt.

In my books I'll pick Brussouw in 6 and maybe Schalkie as a 8 in that pack otherwise they look the goods if we would played the WC final tomorrow.

They all have WC winning medals and to be honest I think WPs pack would have done better to what you lot offer from Ierland on saturday. Our big test will be the Welsch this weekend and looking forward to it.

In the backs I thought the run out lot gave it their best shot. Most Iere dont rate Jean specially the blue jersey lot but they dont know like my Ierse Boer that Jean is in good form at the moment. When he is on form he beats them all. Pienaar was OK but he know there is a Brute Hougaard blowing in his neck. Morne needs a bit of confidense but we still have Lampie up our sleave. He gives us a total different type of 10, which we havent had for years. Pitty about that penalty in front of the posts but I am sure he is glad the first test is behind him now. He is the kind you want to let free on the Welsch lot. Habana and Basson will have a job against the Welsch aswell and Muskiet made a few mistakes but cutting through that Ierse backline is what he brings to the Bok table. Kaapse flair and the one you want to let free against the Welsch.

M

macg101

Stringer - Ireland go forward
Redden - Ireland go back (seriously I hate that man)

Can't bloody wait untill we get POC back seriously lacking physicallity up in that pack, front 5 particularly. The rain and generally rustyness killed us. In fairness the defence was pretty good do considering how much we were beaten up front, although i'd say there was more points out wide if the boks moved it.

Admire Heaslip for having the bottle to front up when we were in the sh*t but seriously look around man!

2 basic rules of being an Ireland supporter Loggerea;

1. Never ever say that we are going to win, by doing so we will definetly lose.
2. Never ever say we are going to win handy, we have never, and never will beat a SH team handy.

We lost the run of ourselves and got what we deserved, as did the IRFU for arrogance on their part

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some random thoughts on the game:

• Ireland looked dozy like the Wallabies in the first game of many of their seasons – and often against Ireland. Ireland lost by only 2 points, but the losses by Wales and England had more merit, though they lost by more.

• Just like in the 3rd Lions test some of the replacements by PdV were goofy and there was a case for some players to stay on the field. This helped the comeback of Ireland somewhat but should not diminish what they did. They set up a cracking finish.

• It was a good effort by the Boks after all the negatives, including injuries, bad press and arriving not long before the game. That said, given their dominance for so long they should have put Ireland away earlier.

• Agree with T78 that 15. Kearney was culpable when 15. Aplon scored his try. We praise players who run good lines in support of ball carriers but we expect them to be able to read an opponent doing the same thing. 13. Side-show Bob was covered by 9. Reddan, and also 14. Bowe who wasn't needed anyway. Had Kearney gone to the zone where the grass was not occupied by Ireland players he would have met Aplon.

• For all his ability outside of scrummaging 1.Healy duffed a tap kick: something typical of the unforced errors that Ireland came up with and which stifled the flow of their game. 13. O'Driscoll hardly ever got the ball in a decent move whereas Sideshow Bob flourished for the Boks.

• Whatever the merits of arguments about the scrummaging issue it is clear that the Boks had no issues on their put in and Ireland did.

• The Boks did not adapt to the faster game of the law crackdown in 3N as well as Oz and NZ did, which was strange because most of their players distinguished themselves in the environment in the S14. But in the wet conditions on Saturday their traditional power game had currency, whereas the natives played like Australians when confronted by dampness.

• The contrast in execution of the two lineouts was expected. As a lineout quarterback and jumper Matfield is matched on the planet only by POC who was watching from the stands. MOD did what he could but his craftiness was no match for the skill of the great Bok, and the Ireland throwing to the lineout did not help.

• Referee Owens was close to being MOTM for all the wrong reasons but his pinging of the Boks for deliberating delaying the lineout was laudable. It was also good to see that he free-kicked a not straight put-into the scrum – and incidentally, Poite did the same in the All Black game. Two in three tests matches?? Not quite an epidemic but good to see.

• I said before the game that 10. Sexton was Ireland's future and deserved to start and I guess picking the Leinster backline for Ireland (but for one wing) made sense, but when I saw the rain I changed my mind. 10. Sexton doesn't have the train-spotting wet game of ROG, nor the ability yet to move a backline in a big game with the disadvantages he met. Nor is he yet the master that ROG can be on his day, of turning crap ball into gold and seizing the key moment. Nor was he helped by 9. Reddan who had an ugly test including gifting a try which arithmetic said lost the game.

In hindsight the Munster halves 9. Stringer and 10. ROG should have started in the rain and what a difference it was when they came on, too late. I vaguely remember some other poster recommending the Munster pair before the match but I can't remember his name.

• There were few stars for Ireland and it makes one wonder how they stayed so close for so long. Kearney played well enough except for the gaffe mentioned; Wallace tried to match the Boks in what he did but couldn't do it for long and Heaslip had a good run or two; but it's like panning for gold dust in the Irish Sea. 2. Best was one of the worst, especially his throwing, and I'm guessing that Matfield unnerved him.

• The stars for the Boks were the front row (take a bow Beast) and 2nd row, and add in flanker Juan Smith too. I was surprised how well Side Show Bob played at 13. His brief was to watch Drico but the great man was neutered.

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
Hooker calls the engage, dear heart. You do know that, yes?
Did you watch the game? Buckley twice acknowledged he did it. Owens spoke directly to him. Buckley, the Ref, Best all know it was Buckley, you seem to be the only one who has failed to acknowledge this. Court came on, problems went away.

As for Lineout, again your deflecting. That try was caused by slap ball from a good throw. The lineout fell apart in the second half.

As for admitting I was wrong, we lost on the back of a non-existent lineout and a creaking scrum (both of which you talked up) and you want me to admin I was wrong? You said MOD was put in there to organise the lineout, you said the Irish management were worried about Healy in the scrum, where exactly did you admit to being full of sh*te?

Look, you are more interested in hating Leinster than discussing rugby.

I'll leave you to your hate. Sad little man.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
smiley_popcorn.gif

Goody, settle in and wait for the reply from Oirish 78!!

M

macg101

[Referring to big Lee Grant post above.]

Hit the nail on the head with those points, just a really empty feeling after that performance, but still we should be better by the end of this series, we are struggling in the tight 5 these days!

Depressing stuff... but everytime O Gara gets dismissed he flies back with avengence!

But hey, I would trade ten defeats to SA for just one win against the all blacks to get that monkey off our backs!! Like thats gonna happen anytime soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.