• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v All Blacks, Johannesburg, Oct 5th 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
You just have to think that this was the Boks saying to the All Blacks "You aren't going to be #1 forever", and the All Blacks replying "You don't have any fortresses anymore"

Game of the year so far. Both teams showed such passion and drive, I'd think that Meyer would be getting coach of the year at this rate though. That 9-10-12 of FdP, Steyn and JdV is probably the best in the world right now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well Fox Sports coverage ends.

Reminder that it is Daylight Savings in the enlightened states of Australia. So check the alarm clocks are properly set before heading off for some shuteye before the Wobs v Los Pumas.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I didn't like the way Owens reffed this match. I don't like refs who "let the game go" because there is too much room for inconsistency and errors. Also it allows teams with poorer rates of accuracy than the ABs an unfair advantage. The All Blacks work hard on their accuracy and pride themselves upon it. That accuracy gets diluted when the game is reffed like it was today.

What are you on about? Owens was excellent.

I haven't read this thread but if there are a bunch of people complaining about him that would be an indictment of this forum and rugby fans in general.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just some stats from the game:
JdV: 11 runs, 3 linebreaks, 7 tackles busted
le Roux: 6 runs, 6 tackles busted
JJ: 10 runs, 1 linebreak, 2 linebreaks created via offloads, 3 tackles busted
Savea: 5 Runs, 4 tackles busted, 2 linebreaks

M

Muttonbird

I haven't read this thread but if there are a bunch of people complaining about him that would be an indictment of this forum and rugby fans in general.

That's fine. You like test matches where errors are constantly waved away, I don't. Twice, after asking the TMO for a ruling he then wouldn't listen to it. Weird.

It's all very well watching the first Habana try at full speed but the pass was definitely forward and the TMO with all the tools available to him to be used for exactly this purpose would have said so had he been allowed to speak. The linesman called it too.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
That's fine. You like test matches where errors are constantly waved away, I don't. Twice, after asking the TMO for a ruling he then wouldn't listen to it. Weird.

Which errors are you referring to? He got more right than any referee I have seen this year.

All the TMO decisions were correct. He is entitled to look at the big screen and make up his own mind if he thinks he can, and remember he asked if the TMO agreed with it.

M

Muttonbird

Which errors are you referring to? He got more right than any referee I have seen this year.

All the TMO decisions were correct. He is entitled to look at the big screen and make up his own mind if he thinks he can, and remember he asked if the TMO agreed with it.
Right, the TMO is going to over-rule Owens once he's said what he said. Not likely. Owens managed the TMO process twice.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)

I'd have him every game for the AB's even against Wales

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Right, the TMO is going to over-rule Owens once he's said what he said. Not likely. Owens managed the TMO process twice.

That is within his scope now though as it is with all refs. If they can clearly see the play on the screen then they can make the decision themselves

M

Muttonbird

That is within his scope now though as it is with all refs. If they can clearly see the play on the screen then they can make the decision themselves

Get rid of the TMO then. No longer required.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
All I can say is that the All Blacks really outplayed us in this game. The defense at crucial times was immense. The attack made to look all too easy.

It was as if was said "Let's go get some points" and suddenly the All Blacks were at our tryline and soon enough they scored a try. Unbelievable.

Congratulations to all of them and to the supporters. You guys deserve bragging rights. It is a significant victory seeing it is at Ellis Park. The crowd was hostile and the All Blacks just kept going.

M

Muttonbird

And in a situation where there is no big screen for the ref to see what's going on or if the conditions are shit and visibility limited?

And who is the judge of all that? What if the ref can't see the screen properly for one team but can for the other depending on which end of the ground they're at? The point I'm trying to make is the protocol is there but it gets changed on the whim of an individual. The TMO has the proper equipment to make the best decision and as you say, some big screens are better than others.

I think the Louw pass was forward, don't you?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well, if anyone wonders why I think this is the greatest sport, all I can say is watch that test. It was 2 very bloody good teams giving it everything they had, and it had both the speed and brutallity to suit everyone! I would imagine players from both teams will be very sore ant tired when they climb out of bed today. I can't think of a better ad for the game.
The Boks surely didn't disappoint me, yet again they reminded me why I think it is such a special respect between the ABs and them.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And who is the judge of all that? What if the ref can't see the screen properly for one team but can for the other depending on which end of the ground they're at? The point I'm trying to make is the protocol is there but it gets changed on the whim of an individual. The TMO has the proper equipment to make the best decision and as you say, some big screens are better than others.

I think the Louw pass was forward, don't you?
I didn't think it forward, and to answer your question the ref is the judge of whether he can see it clearly enough on screen, he is the ref, the video is only there to advise him if he asks for it.

M

Muttonbird

I didn't think it forward, and to answer your question the ref is the judge of whether he can see it clearly enough on screen, he is the ref, the video is only there to advise him if he asks for it.

He did ask for it then turned around and told the TMO the answer instead. Just saying this is different to what we've seen before and another example of the TMO process being operated inconsistently and under very loose guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.