• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks v Wallabies, Loftus Versfeld, Sun 9th Jul 1.05am AEST

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think you're overstating how much this actually weakens their side.

The players who have been sent to New Zealand early are Malcolm Marx (hooker), Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager (both locks), Franco Mostert and Jean-Luc du Preez (both utility forwards), Kwagga Smith (loose forward), Faf de Klerk (scrumhalf), Cheslin Kolbe and Makazole Mapimpi (both wings), Damian de Allende and Jesse Kriel (both centres), and Kolisi.

Kitshoff was going to go too but he's now playing this game.

Marx is definitely in their best 23 but he's often used on the bench. Etzebeth and de Jager would both start in their best XV but the backrow is pretty equivalent. Kolisi is injured so he doesn't count. PSDT is playing this game and he's arguably their best backrower.

Faf du Klerk is their best halfback and Kolbe is a starting winger but I don't think Mapimpi and Kriel are currently in their best XV.

I think they've mixed and matched a bit who they sent over. You'd assume that all the players sent over early play next week against the All Blacks but I think we're a long way off it being true that their best 23 includes every player that was sent to NZ early. They have significantly better depth than we do and the side they have named is strong. They start as short priced favourites playing at home at altitude in what is a very challenging place for visiting teams to win. A win by the Wallabies would be a massive upset and pretty historic.
True. Etzebeth is coming back from an injury, he might even not play against the All Blacks. Also take into account that its at Loftus and the reason why Willie, KLA, Moodie and Escom has been selected.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
From a Bok perspective it will be interesting to see Libbok and Willie go with some exciting outside backs and specifically AE. Our bench look like a proper bom squad which will be important at Loftus.

Libbok is very up and down but if he get it right, he is fantastic to watch.

Reactions: dru

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
eddie was always going to pick hodge for altitude.

~5 phases of going nowhere, either QC (Quade Cooper) or hodge will boot it, hodge in our 22 most likely, QC (Quade Cooper) further up for tactical kicking. wright from the back is the under pressure option.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Hodge at 12 makes more sense now I have had time to think about it. I think I have heard Eddie being quoted that he wants to play without the ball, which is what other teams have done well in recent years, whilst the Wallabies have tended to try and do too much. So rather than running rugby from the likes of Quade we can expect Hodge to be raining down long kicks and bombs all day. Add to that Eddie probably thinks Koribete and Vunivalu are the 2 wingers best suited to be chasing those bombs or diffusing the ones coming back at us.

As noted below I doubt his bomb of a boot is the reason he was picked. Is he kicking from 12 in that scenario? Dropping to FB at times? He has a slow kick so I wouldn't think so. Also, unlike Foley, Quade can kick.

Maybe Hodge kicks for touch on ideal angles that can be bombed, but I doubt they alternate him/Quade.

I think it's more likely that he's there to play defense, act as a 2nd playmaker, to help organize on attack/defense and for his versatility in case of injury. He and Ikitau are a good defensive pairing. Ikitau can blitz and Hodge can body up.

If anyone gets injured they move Hodge to that position and Kerevi comes in at 12.

Even if you already sub Carter in and he gets hurt, you can move Hodge to 10 and Kerevi to 12. He can play FB or wing if any of the back 3 get injured. If Ikitau goes down he or kerevi can play 13.

I can't think of another player that is acceptably "fine" in so many different backline positions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can imagine hodge defending at 15 a fair bit, but dunno if id want Wright defending at 12
Through Super Rugby Wright did not show himself to be a defensive presence. I know at FB it’s a different situation a lot of the time but he had a tendency to just throw his body at knees and hope.
He's been a standout the last couple of seasons, but at 8.
Yep, No.8 please. You want him getting as many Carries as possible.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
eddie was always going to pick hodge for altitude.

~5 phases of going nowhere, either QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) or hodge will boot it, hodge in our 22 most likely, QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) further up for tactical kicking. wright from the back is the under pressure option.
Maybe every kick will be a 50/22 attempt?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There is a bit of evidence about that after a few phases the wobs lose their shape and it becomes a waiting game until the turnover/penalty

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hodge isn’t a bad pick when you have a pretty shit back 3 for kick returns. Vuni & Koroibete is an interesting combination.

Pretty exciting for Moodie too, he’s only 20 years old. Balances out the small little speedster a bit too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hodge isn’t a bad pick when you have a pretty shit back 3 for kick returns. Vuni & Koroibete is an interesting combination.

Pretty exciting for Moodie too, he’s only 20 years old. Balances out the small little speedster a bit too.

DC, I'm not sure I fully buy this. If Hodge was at the back, sure, but at 12 does he have enough time to get the kick away? I think we'll see the kicking form White and Quade, less so from Hodge. Of course once the bench is used things change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But it's interesting where the co-captains sit in the pecking order.

The subsequent Rugby Australia releases have co-captains.

1688687246220.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wish we had better depth at hooker/ someone who could just lock down the starting position.

I think it's Porecki. I expect him to be the starter pretty consistently this season.

I agree completely that he's not a top tier player though in a position that has become essentially an elite 'skill' position.