• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Springboks vs All Blacks @ Ellispark

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
At least Jean de Villiers brought it to his attention on his own. So no biggie.

Kaplan was all over the penalty Serfontein received even though he had no way of getting out of there, although he clearly tried. Will that be bigger than the Beale saga as well?

Beale comment was tongue-in-cheek. Nothing will overshadow Beale this week.

It was great game, kudos to you guys. We can all now collectively look forward to thrashing the northern hemisphere teams next month.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
which was the better team?
which team won on the scoreboard?

if the answer to those two question is not the same, you have a problem.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
which was the better team?
which team won on the scoreboard?

if the answer to those two question is not the same, you have a problem.

Or you have 1 team using their chances better.

Not that that matters in this case, since no team was really outplayed by the other. If anything, the Springboks edged it.

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
It was a ripper of a test!!

Greatly enjoyed it. (and my two hours sleep since).

All Blacks stormed back into it.

Late Bok penalty from 55m by Lambie.

What can you say. It was from a penalty. Nevertheless, Mr Barnes had a good game in my opinion.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Now that I have calmed down a bit I'll lay down my thoughts as I regularly do before and after Bok games.

I want to acknowledge the All Blacks firstly. They came back as they always do and it scared me. I was sitting in the pub with my head in my hands reliving the past. This is a mighty side that barely lost and could very well have won this game.

Secondly, please don't take our (South Africans') comments as gloating. We're very happy to have finally won a game against the All Blacks in a long while. These moments are rare for us.

I for one cringe at the thought of missing a Bok v All Blacks game because I dread having to potentially wait several more years to witness victory for the Springboks.

Barnes took a leaf out of Nigel Owens' book I think. The more I'm looking at the game and refereeing decisions on a broader scale the more I feel you can get away with a bit more if your intentions are good. In the case of the IRB this is to play attacking and enterprising rugby which results in increased revenue all round. There seems to be a slight, but trending, downward curve to how the Springboks are being perceived I believe which is why I personally think we are seeing less yellow cards etc. Our game is positive which means the response we get is positive.

There was a moment when the penalty was awarded for the Boks at the end that I silently wished Morne was about. I don't rate Lambie as the best FH in the world but I have always felt he performed below his capabilities in national colours and was subsequently dropped. This never helped his confidence. So with that in mind and after his poor kicking last weekend I'm very happy for him to have kicked that penalty. I imagine it must mean a lot to him and 40 years from now he'll probably still tell his grand children about it - much the same players of yore still talk about 1937, 1949, 1955, '81, '96 etc.

This result is healthy for both sides. The Springboks will have a bit of a monkey off their back after finally having something to show (Yes, we cherish this one win more than all the others against the rest of the world combined).

It's healthy also for the All Blacks who will have had some younger players who learnt a lot from this game and as a whole the team can make improvements now.

I felt the All Blacks were surprisingly below their usual self during the first 40 minutes. It looked like they allowed us to attack which is unlike them. You could clearly see the difference in the second half where we had no chance to pass the pill around as the defense swarm to wherever the ball was heading. The ball was also slower which aided the All Blacks in this regard and it's thanks to their forwards and a regression from ours which I think is down to (big surprise) - fitness!

Duane really impressed again considering the week he's had. Unless he screws up monumentally I believe he'll be nominated for IRB world player of the year.

Handre Pollard is just the tonic we need agains the All Blacks. He seems to have them guessing similar to how Joost van der Westhuizen had them guessing. I have noticed how Pollard has immense acceleration which is what surprises the defense. With more game I think he can learn to accelerate and then pass a quick one. Next year this time he'll be old news to defenses so he'll have to keep improving.

Last but not least. Congratulations to the legend that is Richie McCaw who became the All Blacks' most capped player of all time. Although he is a menace on the green I absolutely admire the guy. He's a great ambassador off the field and someone I believe all kids should aspire to in some way or another.

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
What a wonderful spectacle! This is why I love the game. Congratulations to the ABs and the Bokke. Big gap between the top 2 and the rest of the world quite frankly...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Good morning all, well after watching that test, and having a quick sleep, I have to ask am I a bad Kiwi? I can't really feel upset when we have lost a test!!
I loved the test, reminded me again why rugby is in my opinion the greatest game going, and why old buggers like me will always hold All Black/Springbok tests as the ultimate! There is no question in my mind that the Boks deserved their victory, and anyone that finds any blame to lay at refs -TMOs etc feet, go and watch something else and ruin their enjoyment of the game! The game was up there with last years at Ellis Park, as the 2 best tests I have seen since 2000, hope all Saffas are immensely proud of their team today, as I said after Wellington test, you got a good un in Pollard and bloody DV is just a monster. Also think the test shows the word brutal is a good word to describe the match, and that is meant in the most positive way!!
Like I said I still on high, and bloody hell we lost!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So which team do the rabid Kiwi fans like losing to?
I don't like losing to any team HJ, but without in anyway disrespecting Aussie rugby, losing to Wallabies probably pisses me off more as quite often it comes from ABs playing not too well , I think SA rugby is so bloody good and hard, although I just can't for the life of me get too upset after tests like the last nights.
I actually even think PDV said something in his aftermatch speech, can't remember what it was ,but sentence started with, when Richie (Goat) and I were talking here just before...., it's that bloody respect thing where the 2 captains had a chat about game whilst waiting for official stuff. without being picky not something you hear of with Wallaby captains in this day and age!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I was a little critical of the decision to replace Pollard with Lambie during the game as I thought he was playing a blinder and he looked like he could go the whole 80 minutes.

Question: Would HP have had the legs to kick the 50 metre penalty at the death?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously I'm gutted with the result but no complaints, that was almost as good as last year & while we could've won I'm not gonna say we should've. The thing about having an 80% win record is that you lose 20% of the time lol. Enjoy the moment, SA fans, you deserve it & it's one you should savour. We'll be back, though (but you knew that already).

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was a little critical of the decision to replace Pollard with Lambie during the game as I thought he was playing a blinder and he looked like he could go the whole 80 minutes.

Question: Would HP have had the legs to kick the 50 metre penalty at the death?
Yes, Handre actually has a fairly big boot on him. Also, this game was at altitude so 50 metres is fairly ordinary.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Colin Slade was awesome in his cameo at halfback. I really hope Hansen noticed how good he was in that role and gives him a start there in their next test.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I refuse to subscribe to this "acceptable loss" narrative, what utter shit, since when is an All Black loss acceptable, "the players tried hard", "the other team were quite good", FUCK THAT and FUCK THEM ALL, it is a **NATIONAL DISGRACE**, wft happened to the ruck clear-out, so what if we're missing Retallick and Woodcock etc, and what the arse was all that arrythmic backline shit in the first half, the passign was belaboured and, frankly, half-drunk, Barrett sleepily jogs 2 steps forward then telegraphs a shovel to some poor cnut outside of him, Wft was Conrad Smith doing out there, especially defensively, and captain Mccaw arrogantly turning down 3's then losing by 1 and then he's all fine and dandy with it in the post-match with some well played everyone bullshit, wFT

All Black contracts LBRBA.

--NZ Herald--

The All Black Team Doctor has today announced that at the tail-end of NZ's loss to the Springboks, NZ flanker Liam Messam temporarily displayed symptoms of LBRBA. Otherwise known as Left Brain/Right Brain Apartheid.

"The condition is possibly inoperable" continued the doctor.

Messam, seen here still displaying some
residual effects of LBRBA, 17 hours later.

As coach Steve Hansen reiterated 84 times during the preceding week, " .... remember fellas, red heads, blue heads, the last thing we want when we're out there nursing a 1 pt lead on the high veldt in the 78th minute is to have a rush of blood and give away any stupid penalties. Stay calm, keep the blue heads, if we're 1 point up, in the 78th minute, on defense, let them push the game..."

Liam Messam (on the right), seen here trying to eradicate his LBRBA. With smoke. For some reason. Perhaps medicinal.

Hansen went on to say "Liam will be fine, We've prescribed him a lengthy stay in the Kelleher Brain Ebola Clinic in the Pitcairns. He's already started rowing there."

Status
Not open for further replies.