• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SRAU RD 8 - Reds v Brumbies

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Last night on the Stan post game review they mentioned the Reds v Brumbies game and venue TBA.

Have the Reds returned to Brisbane?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is Ala'alatoa back for this game? Both packs should be at full strength or close enough to.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Or just the fact afl has good expansion strategy at expense of those codes who haven’t ie rugby.
AFL has the best strategy, it's marketing 101 don't go for the adults they have already formed their opinions about what sports they enjoy to watch. Target the kids with free clinics and free balls kit ext, the kids are now hooked get them to club sign up and realise they have won this battle also with yearly club memberships much cheaper then any other footy codes our kids might want to play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t know if it’s the best strategy, but it’s certainly the biggest budget

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)

It's working which ever way you look at it, all of the parents that I talk to have their kids interested in joining AFL as its what the bulk of their friends from school are doing. I am lucky enough to have found a good community of Union parents in around the Bond Uni setup Pirates JNRs is great but I would be lying if it wasn't 75% Kiwi's.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Last year my daughter registered for Auskick and it was $75, this included a kit bag, ball, pump and other random trinkets
This year soccer is $350 for a 7 year old and includes uniform and training shirt, my 4 year old boy will be $150.

Local Rugby would be $230.50 and $201.50

I cant stand AFL but it is good value, well run and affordable.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Last year my daughter registered for Auskick and it was $75, this included a kit bag, ball, pump and other random trinkets
This year soccer is $350 for a 7 year old and includes uniform and training shirt, my 4 year old boy will be $150.

Local Rugby would be $230.50 and $201.50

I cant stand AFL but it is good value, well run and affordable.

And that’s exactly the problem, you can have two programs side by side achieving the same outcome, but if ones significantly cheaper then the other then it’s an easy decision. AFL subsidise their programs to a level rugby/soccer can only dream of.

AFL also campaign the government well and tie their programs to government funding lines.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know everyone on the forums likes to shift favouritism away from their team, but the Reds definitely favourites here.

They’ve found ways to win all season and have shifted players around positions and starting/bench. The depth in the top 25 players is pretty amazing this year.

Game will likely be played at Suncorp, a few days of no cases at all.

In saying that - part of me wonders whether the team Thorn sends out is the same team he’d start with in a final against the Brumbies. Something to be said for holding a few aces up the sleeve.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree that the Reds are deservedly favourites - unbeaten and a recent win over the Brumbies. But I don't think, with the venue for the final still in the melting pot if the Brumbies sneak a win, that BT will play funny buggers with his team selections.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
They would want a home final you would think . A win over the Brumbies guarantees it.

Hopefully it’s as close to possible as our team come finals time .

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I still think there are some positions which could go either way

Mafi/BPA

Feao/Zander

The best starting combination of Blythe/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/EDIT: Smith/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Uru

And how best to use Paisami/Stewart/Petaia and I guess Hegarty/Jock piggy back on that

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)

Mafi/BPA

Feao/Zander

The best starting combination of Blythe/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wood/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Uru

And how best to use Paisami/Stewart/Petaia and I guess Hegarty/Jock piggy back on that

Hegarty is still our best bench back, with Jock our best FB. In saying that I felt we had better balance control from having to decent well 3 if you include JP kickers in the back 3. Every other game we lost the battle of field positions to the Rebels in the past but not with this setup.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Mafi/BPA

Feao/Zander

The best starting combination of Blythe/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wood/ASY (Angus Scott-Young)/Uru

don't think the Tahs will give us back Wood after his performance last week.

I'd go:

15 Campbell
14 Daugunu
13 Paisami
12 Stewart
11 Petaia
10 O'Connor
9 McDermott
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Scott-Young
5 Blyth