• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Stormers vs Waratahs Round 10 @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look, stats are fine, and sometimes necessary, but you can't judge every forward on the same stats.

My 2nd Grade side has a lot of big chaps in it, and I expect them to run the ball and hurt people on defence a lot. But I also have 3-4 smaller guys there because I know they're the ones covering rucks, cleaning up dumb shit flick passes from backs, and generally doing the donkey work.

If Holloway is running last in the "rucks covered" stat but winning the "tries scored" stat as well as helping the team to victory, I don't really give a shit. Could he do better? Yes. But if it affects his abilities elsewhere, and it unbalances things for the team, then its a net loss.

Totally agree about what's best for your side.

The discussion has been about what's best for the Wallabies where Cheika can choose the best side to defeat England and the All Blacks.

IMO a solid defence from a Forward is not an option it has to be given as there is nowhere to hide.

In the RWC last year the Wallabies Front Row, in particular was performing at a level consistently below the level of other top teams.
They did well at the set piece but were often MIA around the park.

My query re Holloway, who I rate, was that to be suitable for the Wallabies he needs to provide more than just a good ball carrying game but consistently produce better defensive numbers.

With his size and capability he can provide necessary impact at the breakdown which would require more than a much lower involvement than even the average No 8s in Australia and well below the best elsewhere. What the No8 doesn't do in defence someone else has to lift to cover.' Or it doesn't get done - which has consequences.

He has the bulk AND the speed - I'd just like him to show that he can use both more.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Same here. The short highlights on Super Rugby Extra Time aren't enough :)

On the Fox Sports website there is a full 1.5 hour replay available. If you've got Chromecast you can even send it to your big screen TV. I would check it out soon, I don't think they leave it up for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.