• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Summer of 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reports on SBS news tonight that Mitch Marsh is out of the rest of the tour due injury.

EDIT : Barbarian beat me to it, by quite some time.:(

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, will Khawaja come in at 3 and SMarsh drop down to 5 or 6? Or will another so called all rounder, Maxwell, come in? Or will they fly a proper batsman over to take his place, remembering that was the announced strategy if another fast bowler were to be needed?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I see there is handbags at ten paces between Smith/Kohli and CA/BCCI over some alleged cheating. It just adds some extra spice to the series. I'm calling it now, if we by some miracle win the BG Trophy it will be one of the sweetest victories in the history of Australian cricket. It will also be difficult to resist the urge to stick it up every loud mouthed Indian fan on the Internet too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The aftermath of this test has become ridiculous. ICC have failed to remove their heads from each others asses and chosen to ignore the game. Kohli and Smith could both have copped a fine and probably deserved it. Yes Smith looked to the room - fine him. Kohli making outrageous accusations that it is common place and despite no evidence coming to light with all the cameras, I'm sure people have checked every DRS review 10 times, nothing - time for a fine. Now we have the green light for anything goes.

I would like to see India lose but have lost interest in following it if more of the same continues.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stoinis has been called up.

Hopefully they pick Khawaja and give him a crack. If not him then Maxwell.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They've called up Marcus Stoinis, which is yet another baffling selection.

Moises Henriques is pretty hard done by I reckon. Clearly the batting all-rounder they need, with a good record on the subcontinent. And having a great Shield season too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That first innings though was constructed pretty much as a test match innings should be. Cautious at first but hitting out with intent when he had his eye in. Always thought either Stoinis or Cartwright should have been in the squad in place of MMarsh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Moises Henriques is pretty hard done by I reckon. Clearly the batting all-rounder they need, with a good record on the subcontinent. And having a great Shield season too.

As a NSW fan, I'm glad they left him at home. If the Blues can come home with a wet enough sail in the last two games, they can make the final.

I don't think they should select whoever the replacement is because they should pick Khawaja then Maxwell first.

It's such a short term selection (really just for the next two tests) that they could have considered trying to parachute someone in who is in great form. Ed Cowan comes to mind. His batting form is outstanding right now.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Stonis is averaging 12(!) with the bat and 42 with the ball in the Shield this year, so another interesting pick from Chappell, Waugh, Hohns and Lehman.

Surely won't get a game.

Henriques (57), Cartright (61) not exactly bashing the door down with the ball, but hard to see how they could have done worse with the bat.

MMarsh is pretty clearly the best bowler of all these allrounders (at least theoretically), but unfortunately it appears he's also the worst batsmen.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What it does show is that absoultely no-one can pick what these pitches are going to do - MMarsh is picked for the expected roads, and they've both been turning square.

Fully expect everyone to be predicting extreme spin for the next one while looking at the deck, and then we'll play and it wont change direction once all game, and our 4 man attack will be bowling 220 overs between them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The pitches have been diabolical and frankly a bloody lottery so far. I'm all for some assistance for the bowlers, but tracks that turn square before lunch on day one are ridiculous. India are very fortunate not to be 2-0 down right now.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The aftermath of this test has become ridiculous. ICC have failed to remove their heads from each others asses and chosen to ignore the game. Kohli and Smith could both have copped a fine and probably deserved it. Yes Smith looked to the room - fine him. Kohli making outrageous accusations that it is common place and despite no evidence coming to light with all the cameras, I'm sure people have checked every DRS review 10 times, nothing - time for a fine. Now we have the green light for anything goes.

I would like to see India lose but have lost interest in following it if more of the same continues.

Waiting for the ICC to do anything is a bit like waiting for the Titanic to arrive in New York.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What it does show is that absoultely no-one can pick what these pitches are going to do - MMarsh is picked for the expected roads, and they've both been turning square.

Fully expect everyone to be predicting extreme spin for the next one while looking at the deck, and then we'll play and it wont change direction once all game, and our 4 man attack will be bowling 220 overs between them.

I thought he was picked because of his surname.:)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

I don't think its baffling. Stoinis was over in NZ so missed a large chunk of shield games and hasn't really done much in what has been a very successful Victorian shield team. The other blokes in the equation such as Henriques, Head, Cartwright etc. are heavily involved in the domestic campaigns and are essential players for their teams. Whilst Head and Cartwright in particular are probably better served getting additional fc games under their belts, Henriques gains nothing from carrying the drinks in India and is crucial to NSW hopes, and also their captain.

Whilst I agree Stoinis doesn't 'deserve' the call-up, I think it's extremely unlikely whoever they picked is going to get a game ahead of Khawaja, Agar, Maxwell.

Of the blokes currently playing shield cricket I think the only one who should feel aggrieved is Faulkner. He's class with the ball (batting isn't up to test standard but MMarsh's clearly isn't either) and Tassie are quite some distance from being in the mix.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree on Faulkner, but at the moment what would he add to the test team? We don't really need a bowling all rounder in that form of the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pat Cummins has taken 4/57 and 4/47 in his return to Sheffield Shield cricket as well as scoring 42 with the bat.

Young English leg spinner Mason Crane took 5 wickets for the match. Look out for him playing test cricket for England in a few years time!

Status
Not open for further replies.