• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super AU R2 - Reds v Rebels Suncorp Stadium 26/2

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
The 4K cameras are sick after the tries, stolen from NFL. That's my Tahs captain/spiritual leader (HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)). No doubt nine trying things with the broadcast to be worked into NRL

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Bit shit though that the FTA broadcast is missing things, dangerous gauntlet to run when it comes to the tests (imagine them missing something huge)

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
Was I "blaming"? From recollection I said something like:

EDIT: This doesn't change the best line of the game commentary. "What are they waiting for? A massage table and some conditioning oil?"

wasn't referring to you at all dru,just my take on the game

Reactions: dru

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Hodge is my man of the match very closely followed by Mafi. For the Rebels I highly rate Pincus, Fa'amausili and (dare I say it) Hardwick. OFC Hodge and To'omua.
What exactly did Hodge do to justify this rating?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Posted this in the referees decision thread with no response.

Any referees of experts in scrum binding that can assist with a question?

How long does the bind have to remain at scrum time. Last night in the Reds v Rebels game in the first half there was a scrum reset where Zander (Reds 1) appeared to complain to the referee about the bind being made by Fa'amausili (Rebels 3). The referee moved to their side of the scrum and on the repack Fa'amausili took a bind on the jersey of Zander and then once contact was made with the Reds he let go of the jersey and moved his hand to hook under Zander's armpit.

The Referee had no issue with it (I assume he saw this happen) and this continued for most of the scrums from then on during the game.

Near the end of the game Toupou was also hooking his hand in his opponents arm pit.

Is this allowed? What is the point of binding if you can just let go and place your hand anywhere?

Is it a penalty?

Did anyone see this happening and think it was odd?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Posted this in the referees decision thread with no response.

Any referees of experts in scrum binding that can assist with a question?

How long does the bind have to remain at scrum time. Last night in the Reds v Rebels game in the first half there was a scrum reset where Zander (Reds 1) appeared to complain to the referee about the bind being made by Fa'amausili (Rebels 3). The referee moved to their side of the scrum and on the repack Fa'amausili took a bind on the jersey of Zander and then once contact was made with the Reds he let go of the jersey and moved his hand to hook under Zander's armpit.

The Referee had no issue with it (I assume he saw this happen) and this continued for most of the scrums from then on during the game.

Near the end of the game Toupou was also hooking his hand in his opponents arm pit.

Is this allowed? What is the point of binding if you can just let go and place your hand anywhere?

Is it a penalty?

Did anyone see this happening and think it was odd?

You can alter your bind during a scrum as long as its in line with the law.
A THP is supposed to bind outside the arm of the opposing loose-head prop, the THP can't grip the chest, arm, sleeve or collar of the opposition loose head prop, and the the THP cant exert any downward pressure.

Without watching the replay, it sounds like what they were doing is legal as long as they weren't bringing their arm inside the LHP on the bind.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You can alter your bind during a scrum as long as its in line with the law.
A THP is supposed to bind outside the arm of the opposing loose-head prop, the THP can't grip the chest, arm, sleeve or collar of the opposition loose head prop, and the the THP cant exert any downward pressure.

Without watching the replay, it sounds like what they were doing is legal as long as they weren't bringing their arm inside the LHP on the bind.

I think in the past grabbing the armpit usually has been equated with binding on the arm.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Whilst I'm happy with the win, we need to smarten up (sounding like a broken record, we've been lapsing into really dumb football for the past 3 or so years). I love the intent. We want to play football. JOC (James O'Connor) not skipper material.

Whilst the ref was atrocious, we've got to play to him. Melbourne offered nothing, what a negative game plan they have. I hope if they continue in the same vein they get nailed every week.

Jim needs to inject Stewart as first receiver more instead of playing him as a third breakaway. With so many options out wide the 10 12 and 13 should be able to set up a lot more attacking plays.

Zander is looking bloody good, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) continues to put the hard yards in.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What exactly did Hodge do to justify this rating?

Eastman, Hodge was dominant in a team struggling to match opposition class. His boot is extraordinary and his cover tackle on Mafi was notable. He was organising and active.

Run the stats against his opposite:
Stewart:
3 tackles; 1 missed tackle
3 passes; nil clean breaks; 2 defenders beaten
5 runs for 35m

Hodge:
7 tackles for 2 missed tackles
5 passes; 2 clean breaks; 2 defenders beaten
9 runs for 56m :- in a team largely not running but kicking.

Stats aren't really the thing though. Largely it's just about being impressed at the game and on revisiting the broadcast.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Melbourne offered nothing, what a negative game plan they have. I hope if they continue in the same vein they get nailed every week.

Most teams that have the bye round 1, struggle to be competitive in round 2, watch the Rebels press conference and Wessels also mentions they had no real practice games cause of Covid in Melbourne. No one wanted to touch them, I think was his words. So pretty hard to play expansive rugby with no real match practice.

Coming up against a team that destroyed the Tahs in round 1, it's his job to come up with a game plan to give his side the best chance of winning the game. He did exactly that, it wasn't pretty but it nearly worked. The lack of depth on the bench really stood out, and I think if the Red card meant uncontested scrums instead of Thor coming back on the Reds would have failed to gain dominance in that period of the match.

Do I expect something different this week? Yes, because the difference with the Brumbies is giving them a penalty and allowing them to kick to the corner will result in points more then 50% of the time. If the Rebels do go with the same game plan, they would need to reduce there penalty count.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Most teams that have the bye round 1, struggle to be competitive in round 2, watch the Rebels press conference and Wessels also mentions they had no real practice games cause of Covid in Melbourne. No one wanted to touch them, I think was his words. So pretty hard to play expansive rugby with no real match practice.

Coming up against a team that destroyed the Tahs in round 1, it's his job to come up with a game plan to give his side the best chance of winning the game. He did exactly that, it wasn't pretty but it nearly worked. The lack of depth on the bench really stood out, and I think if the Red card meant uncontested scrums instead of Thor coming back on the Reds would have failed to gain dominance in that period of the match.

Do I expect something different this week? Yes, because the difference with the Brumbies is giving them a penalty and allowing them to kick to the corner will result in points more then 50% of the time. If the Rebels do go with the same game plan, they would need to reduce there penalty count.

Yep i don't think some people realise how many challenges the Rebel's faced to getting a competitive team on the park this week. Big props to the coaching team and available players for the effort put in, especially against a quality team.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

They can play how they want to. Employing a one dimensional game plan is deliberate. Let's hope for the Rebels fans it was a one off aberration.