• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Tuipolotu would be the best No 13 in the Rebels.

could be, needs to use other players more, inclined to try and do too much himself, no doubt a legacy of being the "best" player in his team/cohort on the way through. still only 21 and has plenty of time to develop and mature.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Taylor Adams will eventually become the starting 10 for the Rebels for the immediate future (next 2-3 years). Wessels sees Hodge as a centre and I agree- his distribution skills are not strong enough for 10.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Always liked English at 13, his got a good step and manages to break the line a lot. Our issue was Inman only had one move to offer so we did not have 2 centers who could pass. (Daz don't hate me)

Can't wait for this game, best feeling when your first game is at home. Worst is when your on the road round/game 1.

Hoping last weeks trial was not our game plan in attack, or I might be booing the boys for kicking the ball away after about 20 minutes.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If Koroibete isn't fit who is the second winger on Friday night?

I would play Sefa and DHP at wing and let Maddocks start at full back.

Other option is Shipperly even if not in the squad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Taylor Adams will eventually become the starting 10 for the Rebels for the immediate future (next 2-3 years). Wessels sees Hodge as a centre and I agree- his distribution skills are not strong enough for 10.

agree, but he hasn't progressed/played/stood out as well as i thought he would in the trials or 10's. yet to find his sweet spot in the faster pace of Super rugby.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds are undefeated through the trials (not including the 10's) and are the only Australian team to defeat a NZ team this year (including the 10's). I'd start engraving our name on the trophy.

Steady up on the Rums mate. Leave that to me :)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looking forward to the game but I just don't know anywhere near enough to even guess how the Reds will play, let alone how they may go against the Rebels.

Really interested in seeing how Brad v Wessels goes.

T

TOCC

Jeez Perese been out injured is so disappointing, he was probably the player who I had the highest hopes for this season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reds to win !

The Reds pigs need to bash Coleman, each and every time he touches the ball.

Bash him enough and the "bravado" will disappear, He is a confidence player and take that away and he then becomes ordinary. The other forwards will follow. Our scrum hopefully will go forward and that further will reduce the Rebels forward momentum.

I actually expect a torrid affair in the forwards and the Reds will eventually dominate in that area.

Lance to have this game on a string and plenty of attacking metres for Toua.

Backs will put 'em away.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Do you notice that every Australian Super team is saying they're extremely fit going into the competition.
I'd like to think that the Reds will be somewhat fitter than the Rebels, after BT's fitness regimen, combined with extremely hot conditions of play in the Brisbane 10's to semi final stage,and the hard encounter with Fiji.
I'm hoping to see a break out from the Reds in the 4th quarter

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I am hopeful that the lackluster performance of both teams in the trails is the result of the heavy training they have been undertaking and that they start the season after a little taper this week.
Cheika was saying they have pushed the S&C agenda with all Super teams so it should improve across the board.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
First round matches are always plagued with 'rust'. The Reds lack of imagination they displayed in attack in the preseason may serve them well. Defend well, keep it tight and simple and wait for the Rebels with the weight of expectation to make mistakes and be ready to capitalise. I think we will play conservative and try and play for field position which is probably the way to go for the first few rounds.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
First round matches are always plagued with 'rust'. The Reds lack of imagination they displayed in attack in the preseason may serve them well. Defend well, keep it tight and simple and wait for the Rebels with the weight of expectation to make mistakes and be ready to capitalise. I think we will play conservative and try and play for field position which is probably the way to go for the first few rounds.

that's exactly what Wessels is saying the Rebels will do. Could be a very very dull opener.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
Am happy with dull, boring, conservative, field position rugby (defend in opposition half pushing for the error), dominant scrum after scrum (sorry front row) seeking penalties and the odd penalty try, not throwing hail mary passes (Kerevi), mongrel tight defence forcing errors, taking any points on offer AS LONG AS WE WIN THE GAME.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Melbourne Rebels team for Friday 23 February
  1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Jordan Uelese
  3. Jermaine Ainsley
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Adam Coleman (c)
  6. Lopeti Timani
  7. Angus Cottrell
  8. Amanaki Mafi
  9. Will Genia