• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
JD is (was?) one of those guys that will nail 7/7 one week and 1/8 the following game.

The interesting part of all the videos this week, everyone has mentioned how unhappy JD was when he left for Japan and his found his love for the game again and is a much better place. Let's hope this makes him realise this is his 2nd chance and he should leave it all on the pitch every week.

Hopefully having a world class 9 on his inside gives him the freedom to play his own game, that goes for Hodge and English as well. Last year the ball from Stirzaker was too slow and all over the place to really get any momentum in attack.

Hoping they run the ball back at the Reds more often than kick and chase. Get the ball to Sefa and let him do his thing.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The interesting part of all the videos this week, everyone has mentioned how unhappy JD was when he left for Japan and his found his love for the game again and is a much better place. Let's hope this makes him realise this is his 2nd chance and he should leave it all on the pitch every week.

Hopefully having a world class 9 on his inside gives him the freedom to play his own game, that goes for Hodge and English as well. Last year the ball from Stirzaker was too slow and all over the place to really get any momentum in attack.

Hoping they run the ball back at the Reds more often than kick and chase. Get the ball to Sefa and let him do his thing.
Sorry Kevin, I'm expecting a lot of kicking this game. Lot's of kicking and chasing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty good Reds starting side, but the bench is quite skinny on experience, that does affect the back end of tight matches

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Going to take a wise approach and turn up expecting absolute dross from both teams. Plenty of fumbles, dropped passes and scrums.

Wonder if we'll have a repeat of the 2016 turf debacle?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Actually I hope for a scrum fest. I THINK that will be one of the Reds real strengths.

Might get a bit ugly but ugly's OK (if we win)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Reds can't win this. The Rebels should run at them all day. Rebels by 20.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interested in how the scrums go. The Round 1 games were plagued by re-sets and scrum penalties - they did not always go to what appeared to be the more dominant scrum.

Also, everyone is talking about kicking - I thought the consensus was the new ruck interpretations favour a possession game. Have I missed something?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Interested in how the scrums go. The Round 1 games were plagued by re-sets and scrum penalties - they did not always go to what appeared to be the more dominant scrum.

Also, everyone is talking about kicking - I thought the consensus was the new ruck interpretations favour a possession game. Have I missed something?

My understanding is that the tackler has to first exit the tackle and enter 'through the gate' before they can compete for the ball, and then have to release once the ruck is formed. The Irish played something like 41 phases after the siren to beat the French by a drop goal on the weekend, which sounds fucking awful.

So is it possession by default because the Pococks and Faaingas of the world are nullified?

Reactions: dru

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My understanding is that the tackler has to first exit the tackle and enter 'through the gate' before they can compete for the ball, and then have to release once the ruck is formed. The Irish played something like 41 phases after the siren to beat the French by a drop goal on the weekend, which sounds fucking awful.

So is it possession by default because the Pococks and Faaingas of the world are nullified?
41 phases of disciplined controlled rugby is beautiful to watch. Both teams need to be credited for it, attacking for holding onto the pill with out making a mistake and defense for not commiting a penalty.

Yes, new rule does seem to make it harder for a Pocock or Fainga'a and the role more like a Reid style 7. Its the only needing one man to form a ruck, rules have been going that way for a while and it should suit the Rebels if Timani can blow the first man out then we have Mafi to pick the ball up and break. But hey Im no coach and not sure how teams are looking to attack and defend the maul.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I note that the rules didn't stop a stimulating kicking game by both the Lions and Sharks.

I do wonder however how guys like Pocock will morph their games to suit - of course, it's not as if Pocock hasnt done this before.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Right, if you Rugby fans are up a for a Beer before the match tomorrow, there will be few of us down at the Posty in Richmond. Come one, come all.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I note that the rules didn't stop a stimulating kicking game by both the Lions and Sharks.

I do wonder however how guys like Pocock will morph their games to suit - of course, it's not as if Pocock hasnt done this before.
Poeys said his been working on his running game but I expect big hits from both Arnold's Isa and Valenti with Poey in straight behind and on the ball..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

We talk about the new rules making the traditional fetcher redundant, conversely I think it could make them even more important. Teams will still need to challenge at the ruck, that’s not an area of the game teams can give up on.. what the rules stop is those with a less refined skill set over the ball, so your props, hookers and no.8s may get less turnovers, and Pocock may not get as many turnovers as he once did, but it makes the turnovers he does achieve even more important.

Yes fetchers can’t be one trick ponies, but I think it will still be a critical skillset in years to come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's still the element of slowing down the ball being important too.

Providing the odd pilfer or forced penalty and avoiding giving away penalties in a stricter refereeing environment on the breakdown could increase the gap between the good breakdown players and the average ones.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

It stops the tackler standing up and taking the ball but it doesn't prevent the second man in pilfering. Still plenty of opportunity for turnovers in the games.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Be still my racing heart , so excited about tonight's opener SOOO many reasons the Rebels need to win you all know them ,, in our conference who are we going to beat to avoid another spoon , Tahs ,, possibly , Brumbies ,, possibly , our best chance though is the Reds and if you have forgotten it is on TONIGHT ,, hoping for big performance from the pack , on paper they stand up ( but so do i on paper ) ,, looking forward to Amanaki causing havoc Tomani using the great hands i feel he has and hitting hard and to the captain being mean and ruthless ( yeah he has a mean streak ,i love it now it is our mean streak ) The backline will be there as well of course and as long as they tackle and kick goals we should be good ,, this must be the most anticipated Rebels season yet ,, ohh my heart ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.