• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Big Rebels backrow. The lack of a fetcher at 7 shouldn't be as big a worry given the rule changes at the tackle/ruck.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Melbourne Rebels team for Friday 23 February

1. Tetera Faulkner
  2. Jordan Uelese
  3. Jermaine Ainsley
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Adam Coleman (c)
  6. Lopeti Timani
  7. Angus Cottrell
  8. Amanaki Mafi
  9. Will Genia
  10. Jack Debreczeni
  11. Sefa Naivalu
  12. Reece Hodge
  13. Tom English (vc)
  14. Jack Maddocks
  15. Dane Haylett-Petty
Reserves:

1. Anaru Rangi
  2. Fereti Sa’aga
  3. Sam Talakai
  4. Sam Jeffries
  5. Ross Haylett-Petty
  6. Michael Ruru
  7. Semisi Tupou
  8. Billy Meakes

Strong side and still several players to come back.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like English but more as a winger thats a serviceable 13. A little worried about his ability to win the contact zone against Kerevi in 1 on 1 situations. Not a fan of the no fetcher policy, but if the Rebs can contain Tupou and Tui the rest aren't likely to repeatedly get over the gain line.

We have (although unaccurate) the two biggest kicks in Australia, so kicking long and trusting this line out will be a good ploy, also huge focus on kick chase.

1. Kick chase
2. Kick long
3. Keeping the 10-12 channel simple
4. Discipline

Get these things right and the Reds will have to play extremely well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^^
Am happy with dull, boring, conservative, field position rugby (defend in opposition half pushing for the error), dominant scrum after scrum (sorry front row) seeking penalties and the odd penalty try, not throwing hail mary passes (Kerevi), mongrel tight defence forcing errors, taking any points on offer AS LONG AS WE WIN THE GAME.

Current ruck interpretations may even favour a possession game. Still winning like that is not good enough for the Reds IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That team does not look to have a lot of weaknesses. If Debs goes tits-up then Maddocks goes to 10, Meakes to 13 and English to 14. Not sure that the front row will cope with the Reds scrum, but unless the team gets the dropsies and it becomes a scrum-fest it should be manageable. I'm tipping the Rebels for this game, its theirs for the taking.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
T but unless the team gets the dropsies and it becomes a scrum-fest it should be manageable. I'm tipping the Rebels for this game, its theirs for the taking.
Forecast for game time is around 27 degrees with a little bit of humidity. More or less for round 1 it could not be better.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
St.George Queensland Reds team to play Melbourne Rebels
7:45pm (local), Friday 23 February, AAMI Park – Melbourne
1. James Slipper – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank (Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Lukhan Tui – Souths
6. Caleb Timu – Souths
7. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
8. Scott Higginbotham (C) - Wests
9. James Tuttle – GPS
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Eto Nabuli – GPS
12. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
13. Samu Kerevi - Souths
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Aidan Toua – Easts

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. JP Smith – GPS (potential Queensland debut)
18. Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland
19. Kane Douglas – Norths
20. Liam Wright – Easts (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
22. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Izack Rodda and Eto Nabuli back from injury

1. James Slipper – Bond University
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa – Sunnybank (Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
3. Taniela Tupou – Brothers
4. Izack Rodda – Easts
5. Lukhan Tui – Souths
6. Caleb Timu – Souths
7. Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
8. Scott Higginbotham (C) - Wests
9. James Tuttle – GPS
10. Jono Lance – University of Queensland
11. Eto Nabuli – GPS
12. Duncan Paia’aua – Norths
13. Samu Kerevi - Souths
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia – Souths
15. Aidan Toua – Easts

16. Alex Mafi – Bond University
17. JP Smith – GPS (potential Queensland debut)
18. Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland
19. Kane Douglas – Norths
20. Liam Wright – Easts (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
21. Tate McDermott – University of Queensland (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)
22. Hamish Stewart – Bond University
23. Filipo Daugunu – Wests (potential Queensland/Super Rugby debut)

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Very strong team, and the advantage over the Reds will only be raised when the benches come on. If that Rebels team can stay relatively intact and get some combinations together, they should be a challenge for any side in the competition.

Are Hardwick and Fainga'a injured or are Cottrell and RHP first choice?

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Great to see Rodda and Nabuli back for the Reds, that evens the squads up a bit at least on paper.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rodda will have to be underdone somewhat.

Has played no rugby for a few months.

Am sure he will go as hard as possible, for as long as he is able.
Then replace him with Douglas (shit I hope he regains his old form)

How good is it that rugby matches are back on !!!!!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A bit surprised to see Tupou on the bench. I expected that Horwitz or Hutchison would be in there first (happy for Tupou though, he's going to be a gun).

No Colby or Hardwick.

Have we had another big batch of training injuries?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Faing'aa is apparently in Tonga on personal leave. Hardwick's leg is still not 100% i believe and also worrying about line out ? i thought Tuipolotu might be in the 23 but didn't realise Meakes was good to go.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Big Rebels backrow. The lack of a fetcher at 7 shouldn't be as big a worry given the rule changes at the tackle/ruck.

Cottrell is still very stong over the ball. I really like the mix. Timani can just tackle and clean out which is actually his game not the running one we all wish he had and Mafi will take all the hit ups.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Faing'aa is apparently in Tonga on personal leave. Hardwick's leg is still not 100% i believe and also worrying about line out ? i thought Tuipolotu might be in the 23 but didn't realise Meakes was good to go.

Yep, 1st year anniversary of losing their dad so the boys have all gone home (fair enough)

T

TOCC

Both team are rolling out pretty big forward packs, I can't remember the Reds with a bigger forward pack in recent season, and the Rebels are equally large.

SomeOke

Frank Row (1)
Will Hodge be doing the poles kicking this year, or will they give Debreczeni a go? I don't remember how good JD was off the tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.