• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2015, the run home

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Stormers were positively awful tonight. That should be virtually a freebie for the Brumbies if they can keep scrums to a minimum. Stormers do have the opportunity to win the comp from outside the top 6 though - which could be a tough record to beat long term. I'd almost feel for the Crusaders being the 4th best team this year (behind 3 in their conference), finishing 6th on the ladder and missing out on a technicality, if it wasn't the Crusaders.

Surely you must realise that they were literally fielding a B team tonight, in preparation for the Brumbies next week?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
This is nonsense. 9/16 = 56% win rate with losses to the Rebels and Bulls.

They might be the 4th best team this week.

But a season is more than a week - or a month.

Finished 6th, 1 point off the Brumbies. Had to play the 3 best teams twice. It's hard to argue. Just the nature of the draw where all the best sides are in the same conference. But then they are the Crusaders, so screw them.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Surely you must realise that they were literally fielding a B team tonight, in preparation for the Brumbies next week?

Yeah. From memory the Brumbies were the last decent team they played, and that was a fair while ago. Their hope is to keep it tight and have as many scrums as possible. Rain would definitely bring them into it. And the records for home teams in finals are imposing, which helps a lot. But the class gap between them seems significant atm, although admittedly exaggerated by their weaker side this week.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qualifying finals:

Highlanders v Chiefs, Dunedin, Saturday 20th @ 5:35 pm (AEST)
Stormers v Brumbies, Cape Town, Sunday 21st @ 1:05 am

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah. From memory the Brumbies were the last decent team they played, and that was a fair while ago. Their hope is to keep it tight and have as many scrums as possible. Rain would definitely bring them into it. And the records for home teams in finals are imposing, which helps a lot. But the class gap between them seems significant atm, although admittedly exaggerated by their weaker side this week.
Class gap! Haha, we'll see old chap. Bravado is strong with this one, the fact you thought the Stormers were 'awful' tonight, strikes me as someone who doesnt even bother to watch SA games yet feels that they are somehow qualified to judge how they are going because you've looked at the end score, either that or you do not know any of the Stormers players and therefore did not recognise all those on debut. Hmm.. Brumbies were at home this weekend and they lost.. They were awful this weekend.

The Stormers have made it to the knockout stages many times before, often securing home berths, only to choke(vs kiwi teams). I am not predicting they win the whole thing, but a loss at home vs the Brumbies will be a proper upset.

Since you've no avatar, how about a lil wager then? I've got just the one for you.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I'll be interested to see how the odds come out. I think the Stormers were 1.30 favs last time over there and miraculously survived by a point. I'd be very surprised if the odds are anything like that this time.

I've backed the Canes at 2.50 as mentioned earlier. They've come in a shade this week despite their situation not changing. Neither team in this game can win the comp. The Stormers couldn't even make the top 6 and the Brumbies would have to win 3 in a row away.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
'couldnt make the top 6' - What do you fail to grasp about throwing your last game in order to rest up for the knockouts? Not sure if trolling or obtuse?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
'couldnt make the top 6' - What do you fail to grasp about throwing your last game in order to rest up for the knockouts? Not sure if trolling or obtuse?

Not a good look to throw a game because the system guarantees your position on the log and a home quarter final. Maybe a better system would guarantee a spot in the 6 for each conference, but the finishing order to be determined by the number of points etc. Stormers then wouldn't have been able to throw the last game as they would have finished 6th and had to travel for the quartyer final unless they had a win and earned a higher spot on the log.

But it is what it is until it gets changed. The different conference system next year will probably fix it to some extent.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
There is a good chance they would have lost anyway but yes the incentives can be muddied a bit by technicalities at the back end.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I agree with the Stormers' management - once they drew with the Lions, finishing 2nd was unlikely with the Tahs facing the Reds.

Therefore, they decided to take the week off to get their niggles right, and welcome the Brumbies to Newlands with travel fatigue against them.

The Stormers have a good defensive pattern, and a couple of breakout players on attack. I don't think they've "choked" in finals before; its more a case that their game plan is very limited, and relies on the other side not being able to score e.g. the Tahs in Sydney.

My concern for the Tahs is inconsistency, which in our run home last year wasn't in evidence.

On the other hand, the team we roll out for the finals will welcome back Latu and Horne, and Beale should recover from his quad strain.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not a good look to throw a game because the system guarantees your position on the log and a home quarter final. Maybe a better system would guarantee a spot in the 6 for each conference, but the finishing order to be determined by the number of points etc. Stormers then wouldn't have been able to throw the last game as they would have finished 6th and had to travel for the quartyer final unless they had a win and earned a higher spot on the log.

But it is what it is until it gets changed. The different conference system next year will probably fix it to some extent.

I was thinking much the same thing when the Stormers named that team - they lost their incentive to improve a couple of weeks back, really.

If that was the case, then the Highlanders would host the Stormers and Chiefs the Brumbies.

EDIT: Waratahs would host the Stormers

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Finished 6th, 1 point off the Brumbies. Had to play the 3 best teams twice. It's hard to argue. Just the nature of the draw where all the best sides are in the same conference. But then they are the Crusaders, so screw them.
"Screw them" because they've won seven titles?

These sort of opinions hold no weight.

But regardless, that era was a long time ago. The Crusaders need a refresh. It probably starts with a new coach.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
"Screw them" because they've won seven titles?/quote]

What? Who cares or said anything about 7 titles. Screw them because I don't like them. Like any Aussie.

These sort of opinions hold no weight.

It goes without saying they hold far more weight than that ridiculous attempt at a rebuttal.

It's funny because they were good enough to make the finals and didn't because their conference was so much better than the others and South Africa have to get an entry. So their fans complaining under the articles about it is beautiful to watch. Crusader tears are treasures to be savoured.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
So the Hurricanes have only lost two games this season- to the Crusaders who are no longer in it and to the Tahs. Will anyone be able to knock them off in the finals?

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
So the Hurricanes have only lost two games this season- to the Crusaders who are no longer in it and to the Tahs. Will anyone be able to knock them off in the finals?

I would think not, but then my money on can jinx anything.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Stormers win they go to Sydney & the 'canes get the winner of Clan v Tribe. Brumbies win they go to Wellywood & 'tahs get winner of Clan v Tribe. Go you Brumbies! All-NZ final, haven't seen one of those for a while :)

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Class gap! Haha, we'll see old chap. Bravado is strong with this one, the fact you thought the Stormers were 'awful' tonight, strikes me as someone who doesnt even bother to watch SA games yet feels that they are somehow qualified to judge how they are going because you've looked at the end score, either that or you do not know any of the Stormers players and therefore did not recognise all those on debut. Hmm.. Brumbies were at home this weekend and they lost.. They were awful this weekend.

The Stormers have made it to the knockout stages many times before, often securing home berths, only to choke(vs kiwi teams). I am not predicting they win the whole thing, but a loss at home vs the Brumbies will be a proper upset.

Since you've no avatar, how about a lil wager then? I've got just the one for you.

Brumbies got their freebie. 6 tries to 1 shallacking. Fair to say they just had way too much class for their 7th ranked opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.