• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2016: New Zealand Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New Zealand Conference standings.

1. Chiefs 29 (1st overall)
2. Highlanders (23 5th)
3. Crusaders 22 (6th)
4. Hurricanes 20 (7th)
------------------------
5. Blues 12 (11th)

Based on Table Points, Games won & Points Differential the Clan are 3rd overall, CruSadists 4th & HorrorCanes 5th but have to make way for the Conference-leading Lions & Brumbies.

EDIT: NZ teams are now 9/10 v African & 7.5/10 v Australian opposition, 16.5/20 (83%) overall. To put that into perspective, Australians & Africans are 2/4 v each other and 4.5/14 (32%) & 3/14 (21%) overall, respectively.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another clean sweep for the kiwi sides, albeit the Tribe & Clan had byes.

Conference standings after Round 8:

1. Chiefs 29, 1st overall
2. Crusaders 27, 2nd overall on Table points but relegated to 5th
3. Hurricanes 25, 3rd/ 6th
4. Highlanders 23, 5th/ 7th
----------------------------------
5. Blues 16, 11th (but 3rd in the alternative AustralAuckland Conference [see #60 above] :))

NZ teams now 11/12 (92%) v African, 8.5/11 (77%) v Australian & 19.5/23 (85%) v all opposition. By comparison Australia are 2/5 v African & 4.5/16 (28%) v all opposition, Africa are 3/5 v Australian & 4/17 (24%) v all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Realistically Ranger was never in with a chance at ABs anyway WOB, and as a Canes man I real pleased to see Plumtree is staying.
Certainly getting interesting trying to work out who will get the gig with the Clan, and the Saders for that matter.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ I thought Ranger was an (outside) chance of filling the SBW slot on the EOYT, we're still a little thin in midfield IMO, 13 moreso than 12.

Clan coach could be anyone, wouldn't rule out them nabbing someone from UK or France who needs a HC role to flesh out their CV. History suggests the CruSadists will go with someone with red & black blood e.g. Razor, tho Dave Hewatt has been mentioned plus of course Tabai Matson is already an Assistant.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I reckon Razor would be a good choice for the Sadists WOB, and agree probably find a kiwi overseas for Clan, especially as Keane is signed at the Chiefs for a couple more years, because I think he would go alright with a head coaching gig at this level.
Tend to think the Crotty/Fekitoa/Nagtai trio may fill the midfield, especially with it maybe looking like SBW maybe around for EOYT.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Highlanders would do well to bring Rob Penney back from Japan. His loosing out to both Blackadder and Hammett was encroaching on Blues level stupidity.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Standings after Round 9:

1. Chiefs 33 (1st overall)
2. Crusaders 32 (2nd on Points/ Officially 5th)
3. Hurricanes 26 (5th/ 6th)
4. Highlanders 24 (6th/ 7th)
-----------------------------------
5. Blues 16 (12th)

Still four teams above the line but eight derbies to be played:

Chiefs v Highlanders twice & Crusaders
Crusaders v Highlanders, Blues, Chiefs & Hurricanes
Hurricanes v Highlanders, Blues & Crusaders
Highlanders v Chiefs twice, Crusaders & Hurricanes
Blues v Crusaders & Hurricanes

There being so little between the teams it's highly possible for the Chiefs, having just beaten the 'canes to lose to the Crusaders who then lose to the 'canes in the last round & the Blues could yet play a spoiling role in the run to the QF.

NZ teams are now 11/13 v African, 9.5/12 v Australian & 20.5/25 (82%) v all other opposition. Africans are now 6/20 (30%) & Australians 5.5/19 (29%).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Standings after Round 10:

1. Chiefs 37 (1st overall)
2. Crusaders 32 (2nd on Points, Officially 5th)
3. Hurricanes 31 (3rd, 6th)
4. Highlanders 28 (6th, 8th)
----------------------------------
5. Blues 20 (12th)

Another clean sweep for the kiwi teams who are now 13/15 (87%) v African, 11.5/14 (82%) v Australian & 24.5/29 (84%) v all opposition. African & Australian teams are 5/10 v each other, Australians 7.5/24 (31%) & Africans 7/25 (28%) v other opposition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mike Ala'alatoa re-signed for two more years:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ratahs-prop-Ala'alatoa-resigns-with-crusaders

We'll make a proper kiwi of him yet :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think the Clan are probably going to miss out on finals, they got some tough games coming up. Blues could cause an upset or two, liking the way they are looking in defence, and so may be responsible for an upset.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ yup, Chiefs twice plus 'canes & CruSadists is a hard row to hoe. I think it'll go down to the wire in a three-way scrap for 8th between them, the 'tahs & Brums (Rebs have done their dash IMO). And, yup, Bloos could yet be the spoiler, just hoping it's v 'tahs & not my lot............

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Standings after Round 11:

1. Crusaders 37 & 1st overall on points differential (+130)
2. Chiefs 37 (5th)
3. Highlanders 32 (6th)
4. Hurricanes 31 (7th)
---------------------------
5. Blues 25 (11th)

Worth noting that we'd have the top four teams in the comp if ranked by Table Points, Matches Won & Points Differential, and that the Blues are level on points with the officially 4th Brumbies................

I've been digging into why home teams don't seem to be winning as regularly this season as in the past (current tally is home winners 42-41 away winners). Chiefs are the "winningist" team in the comp away from home with five. Crusaders have four, Hurricanes & Highlanders three each & Blues are now on the board.

Chiefs have had two losses at home, every other NZ side just one. The "losingist" teams are the Sunwolves, Kings & Force (five each).

gho

Frank Row (1)
Any if you guys in Dunedin, I'm travelling NZ solo and am interested in watching the Highlanders vs Crusaders on Friday, looks like it would be a great match.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Standings after Round 12:

1. Crusaders 37/ won 8/ points diff 122 (1st overall)
2. Chiefs 37/8/104 (5th)
3. Highlanders 37/8/90 (6th)
4. Hurricanes 36/7/91 (7th)
-----------------------------------
5. Blues 25/5/-26 (12th)

Highlanders & Hurricanes both have byes this weekend & I think Chiefs will take more points from Rebels than Crusaders will from Waratahs. Oh well, it was nice to be leading, even if only for two weeks........

Chiefs v Crusaders in Fiji to decide the NZ Conference & overall "minor premier" IMO.

Andy Ellis won't be back next year:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...t-crusaders-to-continue-rugby-career-in-japan

Wonderful servant of Canterbury, Crusaders & NZ rugby down the years & will be sorely missed.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree, Ellis has been a great servant of the game in NZ, seemed at times to be a touch unlucky , but may of suffered with being a bllody good Super rugby player, a quite good international player, but not quite the World class players we tend to like in NZ.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 13

1. Chiefs 42 (1st overall)
2. Crusaders 41 (5th)
3. Highlanders 37 (6th)
4. Hurricanes 36 (7th)
------------------------
5. Blues 29 (11th)

Two massive derbies this week, Hurricanes v Highlanders at Westpac Stadium on Friday & Blues v Crusaders at Eden Park on Saturday.

Winner of the first will pretty much assure themselves a place in the quarters, loser will be in a shit-fight with whichever of Brumbies or Waratahs doesn't win the Strayan Conference. Chiefs have Waratahs in Sydney so a Crusaders win, especially a BP win, potentially puts them back on top of the table. A loss on the other hand pretty much puts them out of contention for top qualifier (unless the 'tahs happen to win, which I don't believe they will). Also I'll have @Dismal Pillock all up in my face about it............

Status
Not open for further replies.