• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby 2019 Predictions - Aussie Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I also think that neither of the Hurricanes nor Chiefs have the squad to make it to the finals this year. On top of that, the Blues are always inconsistent and the Crusaders and Highlanders probably haven't improved on last year.

Not sure how the Saffa teams will shape up, but 2019 could well see two Aussie teams make the playoffs.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
2 Aus teams will make the finals.

I think for the first time, the player drain is hurting some kiwi sides with 2 potentially 3 squads with less depth than a few Aussie sides. Now that’s not saying their starting 15s aren’t better but a few injuries and I think there is NPC quality players taking the spot of super quality players.

I think this is a little presumptuous. I think its fair to say the aussie sides look to be more competitive this year but if you remember back 5 or 6 years, when our teams were stronger, the kiwi teams tended to start slow. Nevertheless definitely some good signs

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - one thing the Brumbies showed on the weeekend is that a week is a long time in football.

It was nice to see a couple of decent performances though.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So pretty much halfway through the season.
Rebels have a pretty handy lead at the top of the table and look by far the most likely to make the finals.

I reckon they will be the only Aus team though. Reds, Brumbies and Tahs are going to need 5 wins from the next 8 games plus some BPs, and I just can't see it happening.

Tahs have a slightly better chance with a game in hand, but tougher draw than the other two teams.

Anyone backing a bolter?

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
No. Rebels will continue to lead although this patch of three losses on the trot is worrying and in the past, they have crashed and burned mid season - but, they didn't have the QC (Quade Cooper) factor before and I am nervous and confident that he is working well with Wessels and the Rebels will return to strength

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Brumbies are inconsistent, Tahs have to manage their mental states and may or may not retain the services of Folau, and Reds are still lacking any strategy to play the team rather than learn stupid set pieces - Reds come from good rugby stock, but they haven't evolved their play from their school days and its not about the biggest kid winning anymore, it's about the best rugby player that wins - (not) sorry Thorn.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
2 Aussie teams can still make it.

The chiefs and maybe the highlanders are shot, especially the chiefs now DMac is out for the year.

Most SA teams haven’t travelled yet, so expect them to at best win 50% of their remaining games.

With only 1 team dominating the league, it’s possible 7 wins will sneak into the top 8

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
So pretty much halfway through the season.
Rebels have a pretty handy lead at the top of the table and look by far the most likely to make the finals.

I reckon they will be the only Aus team though. Reds, Brumbies and Tahs are going to need 5 wins from the next 8 games plus some BPs, and I just can't see it happening.

Tahs have a slightly better chance with a game in hand, but tougher draw than the other two teams.

Anyone backing a bolter?

Tahs v Rebels x2. That is where the conference is won or lost.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Crusaders are the only team in the competition playing with real consistency. Before last weekend, the Rebels showed every indication that they too had the required consistency of performance to get to and make a fist of the finals. Now they need to regather themselves and show that they can adapt to teams playing a high paced flat (sometimes offside) defense. With QC (Quade Cooper) playing well, I think they can do it.

The rest are pretty well equal in that they win some and lose some. I am going out on a limb here, and being ultra-optimistic, I am expecting the Brumbies to win 4 or 5 of their remaining games, and push for a second spot in the finals for an Aussie side.

I don't see any reason to change my original predictions of the Rebels and Brumbies at the head of the Aussie conference with the Reds and Tahs fighting for the third spot. The scales have probably tilted slightly more in the Reds favour just recently.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Now that the Australian conference has tightened up, it's an interesting run home.........

The current standings:

Rebels 24
Waratahs 20
Brumbies 19
Reds 18
Sunwolves 11

The Rebels and Tahs probably have the toughest run home in the group as well.........

The Rebels have the bye this week, and still have to play both the Hurricanes and Crusaders away, and the Tahs, Reds and Bulls at home, but also have what should be winnable games against the Sunwolves away and Chiefs at home.

The Waratahs have the Sharks at home this week, and then have their African road trip against the Bulls and Lions.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels, Brumbies and Reds all have more home games remaining than away matches. From here the Aussie conference should have 2 teams in the finals if they aim up for most of those matches.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From here the Aussie conference should have 2 teams in the finals if they aim up for most of those matches.

If two of the teams have a good run home it's possible........ at the moment the Tahs are 2nd in the Aus conference although sitting in 8th overall, but there's only 6 points separating 3rd and 13th.

Aside from the Crusaders (39 friggin' points), and to a much lesser extent the Hurricanes, it's a very tight competition this year.........

Only four teams have won more games than they've lost so far.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
My thought process on the aussie sides having 2 teams in the finals is that the South African sides will drop off.

The bulls have 4 games to go on tour, the sharks 3 and a game in Argentina, the jaguares 4 games on tour and the Hurricanes and Crusaders both need to tour the republic. Stormers and Lions can push for a strong finish but the lions have played 1/2 more games than most teams, so less opportunities to win points.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
If we get two sides in the conference then please (dear god) (oops, there I go again ) don't let one knock the other out in the first quarter final

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
I thought Tahs played (surprisingly) well last week (without Folau) against (sob) the rebels and if they can muster that performance again this week , then we (Rebels) will have a challenge on our hands for top spot.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bookies normally know what they are talking about.

Looks like Rebels and Brumbies are forecast to make the finals based on those odds

In order of bookies odds
Crusaders and Hurricanes - there already

More than 50% chance of making it
Highlanders
Rebels
Brumbies
Jags
Sharks
Stormers

Less than 50% chance of making it
Bulls
Lions
Reds
Blues
Watarahs
Chiefs
Sunwolves
Bookies now have Bulls have replaced Stormers in the top group, and Brumbies have firmed.

Lions and Stormers just missing out, then Reds and the rest

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Bookies now have Crusaders & Hurricanes there

Rebels, Highlanders and Brumbies almost there

Jags, Sharks then Bulls with Lions and Stormers very close to 50%

Reds are only at 40% with Tahs, Blues then Chiefs very unlikely

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is it technically possible for the Brumbies and Reds to qualify? I think they are the only two teams capable of putting in a finals performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.