• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rd 5, - Reds v Jaguares - 18/3 - 7.40am Buenos Aires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sounds like a wonderful effort. Does anybody still miss Quade?

I think it is great pity that Thorn and Cooper evidently couldn’t work together. At his best Cooper was a master at bringing out the best in players around him and, ironically this seems to be an environment that the earlier QC (Quade Cooper) would have thrived in.

Thorn deserves credit for having the belief in himself and his young charges to make the change.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think it is great pity that Thorn and Cooper evidently couldn’t work together. At his best Cooper was a master at bringing out the best in players around him and, ironically this seems to be an environment that the earlier QC (Quade Cooper) would have thrived in.

Thorn deserves credit for having the belief in himself and his young charges to make the change.

Quade apparently set up 3 tries for Souths so maybe it's a thing.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Quade apparently set up 3 tries for Souths so maybe it's a thing.

Setting up tries is what Quade does...

Thorn didn’t want him in his squad because of his defense. Let’s hope Quade learns to defend in club rugby so we may see him one day back in a Reds jersey

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Really positive stuff building from the Reds. The forwards as usual were brutal, but the backs are also looking capable. I'm not usually a fan of this "twin big boppers" centre selection thing, but man Kerevi and CF-S looked good. DP and Stewart as they came on look to need to build partnership - you'd think this will come.

The bench front row is the test of the scrum - full marks. Douglas beginning to show his doubters wrong.

I'm wondering if Korczyk is at 7 simply as Thorn has the loosies muscling up and he's making way for A Scott-Young. I'd imagine that Lian Wright is a more natural 7 and that Adam will need to fight for the 6 jersey. A bit like the story with Fagase, it show some real depth building creating difficulties for players with great promise.

Our kicking game was pants.

I'd like to see the halves settle incl the bench half combinations. There is room to build there.

Overall Thorn has stepped up big time from what I felt was an inauspicious start. Credit where it is due - crack on Brad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Caleb Timu was immense, 14 tackles, 10 runs for 60m, 4 defenders beaten

Hamish Stewar made 16 tackles, 1 miss in the 40mims he was on the highest figure for the game. Duncan Paia’aua mads 10 tackles in 27 minutes with 1 miss

they are astonishing figures.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Really positive stuff building from the Reds. The forwards as usual were brutal, but the backs are also looking capable. I'm not usually a fan of this "twin big boppers" centre selection thing, but man Kerevi and CF-S looked good. DP and Stewart as they came on look to need to build partnership - you'd think this will come.

The bench front row is the test of the scrum - full marks. Douglas beginning to show his doubters wrong.

I'm wondering if Korczyk is at 7 simply as Thorn has the loosies muscling up and he's making way for A Scott-Young. I'd imagine that Lian Wright is a more natural 7 and that Adam will need to fight for the 6 jersey. A bit like the story with Fagase, it show some real depth building creating difficulties for players with great promise.

Our kicking game was pants.

I'd like to see the halves settle incl the bench half combinations. There is room to build there.

Overall Thorn has stepped up big time from what I felt was an inauspicious start. Credit where it is due - crack on Brad.

I think the reason the Kerevi - CFS partnership is more attractive than the normal 'big boppers' is that Kerevi is quite skilled for a 'big boppa' not as skilled as you'd like at 12, but gets the job done.

I think these last few games have cemented Douglas as the third lock. He's not bad but not brilliant -- he's been very hard working these last few games. I do think that's a little sad for Hockings and Blyth who are much closer than many would have through at the start of the season.

I'm not sure who is dropped next week for Higgers, I do ever think it's possible by the end of the season Smith and Higginbotham could find themselves under a lot of pressure for their spots. Timu, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Korczyk have all shown they are capable of starting at the Super Rugby level.

For next week I think 100% Timu isn't playing 8 on those attacking scrums, he's just not quite good enough holding the ball at the back of the scrum when it's motoring along like it has been!

I did like the Stewart - Paia'aua combination it looked to have more fluidity to it, but they didn't have anywhere near enough ball to really be tested.

T

TOCC

Cha-ching!

Great work Reds.

This team is shaping up nicely. Plenty of belief and guts across the park.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got on that as well, now waiting on the Tahs game for my Reds-Rebels multi, it was at $6.70 odds

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
just on the kerevi cfs partnership. my thoughts are that they compliment Jono's game best. Jono is our best at 10 in the 1st team we have.

Stewart and Duncan are young and will be the future. I read some quotes from Thorn during the week about managing his young players and how he would like them to have 15 year careers. He'd have a plan for them that they'd be aware of I rekon that would keep them keen as to put in for the team. When they came on today, they left nothing on the field. There was still a long way to go for them to play integral parts in sealing the win.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Great win. It looks to me that we have a TEAM

Scrum dominant all game. The tight 5 are really a unit.

The setup for the win comes from theses blokes. Love to see it.

Kerevi last week and this week has played his best rugby for years !

Toua has been great at the back and Douglas was extra good.

Great to see Lucas and Ready contribute well.

Good to see the Smith boys play together - that must be special for them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't mind eating a slice or two.

Tastes fine at the moment, to be honest. :)

Great win - totally unexpected. Dare I start to dream again?
The teams they have beaten either need to improve a lot or they won’t be there at the business end.

However, the Reds are winning games built in very solid foundations in defence and high levels of tenancity & effort. They are not giving silly penalties. They are working very hard off the ball.

Even their attack - whilst needing some polish and patience at times - is improving week by week.

Dream away I say. You (we) May still end up disappointed but these wins have been hard fought & well deserved.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Only player I thought who had a poor game was Nabuli. Maybe he doesn't use his feet in contact and just relies on his power and size to beat a man, but he never seems to live up to his hype. When Perese is fit, it'll be interesting to see who Thorn picks for the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.